H0274 Heller Tempest - Finished!

mike romeo

So, with my Ju52 mired in decal hell (it's not that bad, tbh), I did what all modellers do when they lose motivation for a build.  That's right; they start something(s) else.

So, I unearthed my Hawker Tempest MkV and started that instead.

Pics to follow - although I forgot to take pics at the beginning.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

So, with my Ju52 mired in decal hell (it's not that bad, tbh), I did what all modelled do when they lose motivation for a build.  That's right; they start something(s) else.

Rgds

Martin

Brilliant Martin

If that doesn't sum up the modelling spirit I don't know what does ! :rofl2:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

So, some pics (blurry due to lack of flash):

2020-11-14_11-14-25

General view:

2020-11-14_11-14-53

I scribed the gun access panels, which is all the wing scribing I'll do.

2020-11-14_11-15-13

Fuse closed up.  Cockpit is oob, apart from the milliput back pad (spare next to the fuse) and tape seat belts.

2020-11-14_11-15-43

Intake and oil cooler oob.

2020-11-14_11-15-54

Some detail painting has started and the drop tanks have been joined.

Since I took the photos, I have taped up the joints, sanded them and added a smear of filler.  Once I have tidied that up, I am going to scribe the engine access panels, and the rear transport joint, but merely lightly sand the rest.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 11

• mike romeo changed the title to H0274 Heller Tempest

Will be following this one with interest. 

Years and years ago I started three of these (I can just see @Rabbit Leader scratching his fur wondering how many of these I have / had!) One basically OOTB as a Mk V, one converted to be a Mk I (years before the Tasman / Ventura / Jays conversion was available) and one massively converted to a Sea Fury (like I did to a Matchbox Tempest a year or two before that).  Needless to say they are all still in their “construction” boxes in varying huge degrees of “unfinishedness”!  

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Rob S said:

Needless to say they are all still in their “construction” boxes in varying huge degrees of “unfinishedness”!  

Fodder for the next KUTA, methinks!

Rgds

Martin

• Haha 2

I have one of these in my collection. No chance of building it in the GB, I'm already hopelessly over extended, but what a nice looking kit.

The wheel well detail and the wheels themselves look really sharp for a kit this age and the two transfer options both look good as well.

I'll be following your build with interest.

14 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

Rgds

Martin

I would have to find those “construction” boxes first!  

Maybe KUTA in 2030?  (if I live that long that is!) 

19 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

Forgive me for being thick, but I have tried and failed to work out what "KUTA" stands for. I'm guessing K is "kit", but help me out? Ta.

Not be needing to scratch ones fur @Rob S, I think I’m starting to know you well enough to (a) never be surprised and (b) always multiply any kit in your stash by a factor of pie! Having saying that this Tempest is a lovely kit so I can see why you’d want more than one. 

Now Martin @mike romeo, thats a lovely start to a great kit. I like the re-scribed ammo bays and think that that’s probably enough to embellish what we all know is a good kit. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

what we all know is a good kit. 

I have to agree on that, right up to when you come to the undercarriage & that is less than exemplary, nice detail but fragile & poorly designed from the point of view of location points. I still have my one from the "Final Hour"GB to finish, stalled on the undercarriage. Must get it done. :)

Steve

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I have to agree on that, right up to when you come to the undercarriage & that is less than exemplary, nice detail but fragile & poorly designed from the point of view of location points. I still have my one from the "Final Hour"GB to finish, stalled on the undercarriage. Must get it done. :)

Steve

Well Steve

There's a current KUTA GB just waiting for it, "carpe diem" old mate !

Cheers Pat 

8 hours ago, Rob S said:

Which is French for “Carpet Demon” which we are all familiar with when it’s swallowed that all important part!  

I'm sure that's what the Roman's had in mind really 

• Haha 3

On 11/14/2020 at 2:30 PM, TonyW said:

The wheel well detail and the wheels themselves look really sharp for a kit this age and the two transfer options both look good as well.

Sadly the transfer options aren't very well produced, particularly Roland Beamont's JN751.  Both suffer from horribly blue sqadron codes/id letters and those for '751 were R:B, not RP:B.  '751 also had the longer cannonn barrels (not sure if they're in the kit).

I know that Heller's a French company but why oh why revisit Closterman's markings when they've been done so many times in a variety of scales?  Surely there must have been other French pilots who flew Tempests who deserve a bite of the fromage?

Rant over; I love this little kit and hope I've still got one lurking in the nightmare monster psyche horror stash from Hades.

• Like 2

Still struggling with the fit of the intake cowl.  It came apart on me during sanding!  Currently reglued and clamped!

In other news, recognising the general ropiness of the decals, I went through the stash and Kiwis rejoice!  I found some Almark decals for 'Rosie' Mackie's Tempest (as per the Airfix Aircraft of the Aces boxing of this very kit) so that'll be the identity of my kit.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 4

Latest status:

2020-11-19_08-01-52

Ugly!  Ugly!

2020-11-19_08-02-10

Should clean up ok, hopefully without significant damage to the panel lines.  I did take the precaution of adding some sprue rod in the gap beforehand to try to stabilise the gap . . .

Which was caused by my poor placement of the upper wing piece on that side (sigh).  You'd think I'd have learnt by now.

Here's the underside:

2020-11-19_08-02-24

I was struggling with the cowl flap area fit, so I decided to cut it out and replace with thin card.  Sorted!

Rgds

Martin

• Like 4

You're doing well with the Tempest Martin, to be fair, I've always had issues with that every time I've made this kit, it's all too willing to flex!

Good luck with it.

On 15/11/2020 at 15:51, stever219 said:

I know that Heller's a French company but why oh why revisit Closterman's markings when they've been done so many times in a variety of scales?  Surely there must have been other French pilots who flew Tempests who deserve a bite of the fromage?

There were, just that none of them made such a big fuss about it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wez said:

You're doing well with the Tempest Martin, to be fair, I've always had issues with that every time I've made this kit, it's all too willing to flex!

Good luck with it.

There were, just that none of them made such a big fuss about it.

I rather wish they had done; do you have any details please?  I feel a " not Closterman's Tempest but French anyway" build coming on.

• Like 1