My new workshop, 1:1 scale

It's been a few months since I last posted a WIP or RFI on this forum, there's a good reason for this. I recently retired and re-located from Alabama to Wisconsin. After my last build (1/72 Lockheed Electra 10, done up in Wisconsin Central Airlines livery) I packed up my workshop & stash and U-hauled the lot 600-miles north.

My previous workshop was functional but a bit cramped for space:

50598643506_4d8ce0d7ac_b.jpg 

My new house has a finished-off lower level, complete with a small bedroom. Perfect for conversion into my new, larger workshop! Here's what it looked like before I moved in:

50598381747_b33b3bcfbb_b.jpg 

Notice the step and raised floor at the far end of the room. The reason for this was to give access to the window as an escape route, which code requires for any room to be called a bedroom. For my workshop, the step and platform had to go (as well as the chalkboard). Other changes made were to remove the carpet (take that, carpet monster!), install additional lighting, and add a high-capacity exhaust fan (don't want to get high on paint fumes).

Now for the big reveal!

First, the entry to my modeling cave:

50598383847_ab4ec243dc_b.jpg 

The right side of the room has the main work table (8-ft) and wall shelving. The big black things hanging from the ceiling are photographers' LED panels to fully illuminate my work surface:

50598383607_473a1543e2_b.jpg 

50597520503_12f24dc05d_b.jpg

In the far left corner is my airbrush station. The ceiling exhaust fan can be seen overhead:

50598262531_a1de8e86c1_c.jpg 

A smaller, secondary work table is directly opposite the main bench:

50597520508_b6dd780a7a_c.jpg 

With my old eyes, good lighting is essential. Here's a closeup of the overhead LED panels:

50597520518_59e5bd2389_c.jpg 

I also installed smaller LED panels on flexible goosenecks, just over the bench:

50598383667_cafefeb267_c.jpg 

There's plenty of storage available for my collection of paint:

50598383842_a5952d7444_c.jpg 

50597520453_8f28657669_c.jpg 

I found this nifty piece of furniture on sale at Hobby Lobby. The large, lower drawers hold my supplies of sandpaper, sanding sticks, and weathering washes, pigments, & pastels. The smaller drawers are mostly empty for the moment 😉

50597520543_c33566f6e6_c.jpg 

The room also had a small, walk-in closet. I've added shelves to convert it into a storage area:

50598383777_6479878fb3_c.jpg 

That's it! I'm all ready go get started on my first build in my new home. Except for one small thing....

I still need to unpack my stash!

50598650381_2d029a9f64_c.jpg 

Thanks for viewing!

• Like 58
  • Thanks 3

Welcome neighbor!  What a fantastic work area/modeling cave.  This is really laid out nicely.  Question I have on what you are using as a spray booth as I am looking to pick one up.  I am absolutely envious of your setup.  And I am anxious to see how your completed kits get displayed.

11 minutes ago, Harold55 said:

Question I have on what you are using as a spray booth as I am looking to pick one up.  I am absolutely envious of your setup.  And I am anxious to see how your completed kits get displayed.

I've had the spray booth for many years, it was made by Paasche. 

I'm still trying to decide how to best display my models. The movers totally destroyed three of my bookcases, which previously held my collection. I'm looking at some inexpensive, assemble-it-yourself glass display cabinets as an option, depending on my much the movers reimburse me for my loss.

• Thanks 1

For cabinets, try the usual online used sites and auctions, there are usually a fair number of very well made commercial display cases going for peanuts in my part of the world. Can’t imagine it would be much different stateside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great work. I’m pretty damn jealous of that work space!

I need to find some of those panel lights as the lighting in my office is awful. 

Looking forward to seeing the master pieces come flowing out!

James

• Thanks 1

Looking good! I have to share mine with the missus as it doubles as the home office/study room. 

You should show us that impressive stash though! I have about 50 kits, not sure what the average is? ...

• Thanks 1

What a fabulous space. Take a good look at it all nice and tidy, it won't last if my modelling space is anything to go by!

Your lighting set up looks like heaven to me. I have good overhead daylight and a few LED desk lamps but nothing like the illumination you have installed.

Enjoy your retirement, you have certainly made a good start!

Tony.

• Thanks 1

I'm amazed anyone slept in that room with those lurid lemon yellow walls...

I'm also jealous of your super new workspace. I'm still making do with a cutting mat on my study desk and a few drawers for paints and tools. 

• Like 1