Tamiya 1/24 Porsche 956

kpnuts

Hi all I thought I had done my first colour coat then realised the rear fins should have been white on the outside.

IMG-5012.jpg
IMG-5011.jpg
IMG-5013.jpg
IMG-5008.jpg
IMG-5007.jpg
IMG-5009.jpg

And made a start on scratch building the brake air ducting (these bits are tiny 5x8mm)

For the ducting the plan is to use a spring and some shrink wrap (we will see thats the plan anyway))

IMG-5024.jpg

Edited by kpnuts
  • Like 3

I'm look forwards to this build, looks great.     

These Tamiya Porsche kits seem to be difficult to find other wise I fancy building one.

Is that white primer on the upper surfaces?  if so which do you use?

regards, Roger.

That's a pity as it was looking so good. I guess that's the problem with vents - very good for letting air in also means very good for letting spray paint in too. Will you be able to get away with just respraying the white?

At the very least you've given me a lesson on what to be careful of if I ever get around to rebuilding the Newman version of this car I have.

If it's any consolation, you aren't the first to do that with the intakes on a Tamiya 956...

Are you going to be using the kit decals?  Whichever you choose, do consider carefully the placing of the sponsor decals around the lights and front end.  The shape here isn't correct so it throws out some of the alignment.

More progress.

Made the air ducts and flexible hose for the brakes and decided (with great trepidation) to try the old kit decals. Seems they're fine (sighs with relief)

IMG-5059.jpg
IMG-5057.jpg
IMG-5058.jpg

IMG-5063.jpg
IMG-5064.jpg
IMG-5062.jpg
IMG-5061.jpg
IMG-5060.jpg

• Like 5

More progress on the 956, added detail to the dashboard

IMG-5098.jpg
IMG-5097.jpg

And work on the wheels

IMG-5094.jpg

Dont know why they used 2 different wheels sets (although it makes no difference when you put the 956 covers on as you can hardly see any of the wheel detail)

And more decal work

IMG-5093.jpg
IMG-5092.jpg

• Like 4

Starting to come together now.  Nice work.

With regard to the wheel types, the six spoke wheels are Porsche designed, and were (usually) the default fit for the factory cars.  The multi-spoke BBS types tended to be favoured more by the private entrants but were seen on 956.001 when it made its debut at Silverstone in 1982.  In the end, as you say, it probably doesn't matter once the extractor covers are fitted.

Trevor

• Like 1

On the last leg now (more pipe work to add) but I have to attach the front to the car first and I can't do that till the gloss coat and I can't add that till all the decals were added  so here we are

IMG-5168.jpg
IMG-5167.jpg
IMG-5166.jpg
IMG-5164.jpg
IMG-5165.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1