Ki-84 Frank, Hasegawa 1/72 -- Bare metal odyssey!

opus999

2 hours ago, opus999 said:

To me it looks like scuffing and irregularities in the metal, but someone swore up and down that it was irregular oxidation.  I guess I've been calling it oxidation ever since.  I'm not necessarily looking to tone down the shine, just to break up the monotony and make it look used, but not dull.   Does that make sense? 

Makes sense :)

What I think you’re describing is the effect I go for when I scuff up the Bare Metal Foil with 6000 grit emery cloth on my NMF models.  It changes the grain and replicates the surface finish on real duraluminium sheet.  This effect survives a flat coat but of course this is also on foil, not paint.  I wonder if that might work on a painted NMF finish if done very lightly?

On occasion I’ve used a very very thin mix of light grey to bring the oxidised effect further to light, but sparingly because it’s a one way street.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

Makes sense :)

What I think you’re describing is the effect I go for when I scuff up the Bare Metal Foil with 6000 grit emery cloth on my NMF models.  It changes the grain and replicates the surface finish on real duraluminium sheet.  This effect survives a flat coat but of course this is also on foil, not paint.  I wonder if that might work on a painted NMF finish if done very lightly?

On occasion I’ve used a very very thin mix of light grey to bring the oxidised effect further to light, but sparingly because it’s a one way street.  

Hmm... goes to show that I should give the bare metal foil a try again!  I've got a couple paint mules with various types of metal paint all over them.  I should try the sanding trick on them and see what happens.

Thanks for all the input, and Merry Christmas!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Merry Christmas, and a happy and above all healthy New Year to you and all your family :)

Kind regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark!  I hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas too!  I hope 2021 I better for you (and us all)!

• Thanks 1

I hope everyone had a happy Christmas.  Mine was good... my wife got me a paint booth.  She knew I was looking at one and I suspect she also wanted to cut down on the amount of paint dust in the library. :blush: I was able to go into my parents' house for the first time in almost a year so that was very nice. We all had avoided human contact for a couple weeks prior.  While there I was able to get a couple photos of my dad's Airfix SM-79; he built it either before I was born or shortly thereafter and hand painted the camo on.  It is quite beautiful.  I posted it on @Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen's SM-79 build since he asked. 

The paint booth got some use right out of the box! :)  Yesterday, I dealt with those decals that were so troublesome.  I used the Future and it mostly pulled them into the crevices, but there were still some spots that weren't behaving.  I had an inspiration and sharpened my black prismacolor pencil so it would fit in the crevices and used it in place of a wash.  It pressed down the last few troublesome spots and added a wash-like darkness to them. I then went over those and the Tamiya smoke with Testors metallizer sealer to give everything an even sheen and inaugurate the paint booth.

I lightly penciled in the seam lines on the drop tanks and then dull coated them.  After that dried I painted the sway braces with Testor's chrome.

zuKUx7K.jpg

After that I did paint chipping, but not a whole lot, just on the leading edges and around the cowl:

n0YLoM5.jpg

4FllqkL.jpg

'cause, y'know, it's a metal aircraft. When that was done, I hand painted Testor's Acryl dull coat on the control surfaces, but those pictures are further down.

Really the whole time I was procrastinating because I didn't want to mask the canopy.  But, alas, I ran out of things to do... I was about 2/3 through it and I'd had enough and called it a day.

Today, I figured I only had a hour's worth of little details, but as usual those little details took much longer than I thought. :( First and foremost, I finished the masking on the canopy and painted it.  Then I decided to turn my attention to the propeller.  I'd always intended to use the propeller from my college build, since it seemed to be a good enough job and it would be a little sentimental value:

nHi6VrV.jpg

You can't see it in the photo, but the spinner had been painted with Testors blue enamel and when I took a good look at it, there were a couple thin spots where the grey plastic made it look lighter and I could see some brush marks.  Luckily, I learned earlier in this build how efficiently Mr. levelling thinner takes paint off... so... 2 minutes later I've got a bare plastic spinner in the booth....

qJtIAQP.jpg

Weird thing about that picture is that it looks so much lighter than in real life.  Really, it is nearly an exact match to the blue decals.  Strange.

So, a little bit about the model donating the propeller.  That was the one  I referred to in the first post.  I did a decent job on it, but the finish was just silver from a spray can.  What's more, a closer look revealed that I didn't get all the plastic covered:

pJQUc9x.jpg

RfhqbhE.jpg

The silvery bits in those photos are the paint droplets and the darker parts are the gray plastic.  You really need to get close to see it.  on the shelf, it looks like silver paint from a spray can.  I had some experiences in high school with spray can silver being too thick, and I think at this point in my modeling the pendulum had swung the other way. Here's what the paint job looks like when I'm not adjusting the exposure to bring out the problems:

qbR5C1r.jpg

Anyway... Hasegawa designed the kit so that the propeller/spinner combination could just slide on to the shaft coming out of the engine so that it can spin freely.  The drawback is, picking the model up usually ends up with the propeller/spinner on the floor.  So, I designed a way to have a spinning prop and keep it on the shaft. Two little pieces of half-round styrene:

hzqqJNX.jpg

Finally all the little details (wheels, navigation lights, guns, etc. etc.) were all done and it was time to put the last piece on -- the canopy.  To show that this build was still putting up a fight, my finger slipped and the fingernail took a sizeable chunk out of the canopy paint at the bottom of the slider on the starboard side.  The very... last... part... :headbang:  I'd tried to decant and hand brush that silver leaf before and it really doesn't work.  I didn't really want to mask again.  I decided to use the testors chrome and brush paint the repair.  In the end, it looks pretty good.  If you know it's there you can see it, but otherwise I think I got away with it.  ugh.

y3Mible.jpg

Nq7u5sr.jpg

Here you can see the dull coated control surfaces better:

f1VpWcq.jpg

And next to its predecessor, which is wearing the unpainted prop and spinner from this kit.

HqYIIPw.jpg

What's next for the predecessor?  Well, I plan to strip it and disassemble it and re-paint it in the camo scheme that was the alternate for this kit.  Don't know when that will be, but it may be soon as I have all the paints I need.

I'll get an RFI up soon.  I'm really glad to get this one behind me.  It seemed like a really straightforward build, but it put up a fight and lasted too long... Still, I'm happy with how it looks.  I think I got the metal exactly the way I pictured it and that's a good thing.

So... I was going to use @Corsairfoxfouruncle's idea and poll you kind readers about what build to do next.  However, my wife was down admiring my work and said, "you should do a jet next!'  Since I have an "inbox" of short-listed candidates next to my desk, she spotted this, and recommended I work on it:

VAjhLsT.jpg

That one I planned to do as an East German MiG-23 after seeing one at the Evergreen Museum in Oregon and was really captivated by the camo colors for some reason.  I hope some of you will be interested enough to follow along because I've really enjoyed the interaction, ideas and help you all offered.

After that, I think it will be an A-36 as my dad said yesterday, "you know what I'd like to see you build is an A-36, but you probably don't have one of those!". Ahh... but I do.... ;)  

Edited by opus999
  • Like 10

Glad to hear you had a good Christmas - here's hoping to a better year in 2021!

Frank is looking superb. I love that you've used the spinner and prop off your old build, a great idea! I know I'm not alone in having followed this build thread closely, and I'm hoping I've learned a few techniques along the way. It's been a bit of a b*gger at times, but you've conquered it and the result is stunning and a testament to your skills and perseverance.

I'm looking forward to following your next build (although jets aren't really my thing), and in the meantime sit back and rest awhile on well-deserved laurels!

Kind regards,

Mark

PS a spray booth for Christmas? Jealous does not even come close :jealous:

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Bravo sir. I totally missed then end of this. Glad you had a great Christmas and a spray booth too! Snazzy. She turned out great in the end. 👌👏👏👏

Johnny

Thanks Johnny!  Happy to have you along on this one.  For a "quick build" it sure threw a lot of curve balls at me.  I'm going to try and get an RFI going today.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Quite late to the thread; sorry to hear about your lad's diabetes @opus999, I can imagine what you went through - my mom's a diabetic and we had a nasty surprise when she developed ketoacidosis... all's well since you're out of the hospital on your feet, though!

Reading through the build was just as interesting as the Monogram P-51 one. I don't know how you managed to salvage it from the initial paint mishap but you have a lovely Ki-84. Big thumbs up on the oil and engine exhaust stains! Will be looking forward to the Ki-44 build.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

Quite late to the thread; sorry to hear about your lad's diabetes @opus999, I can imagine what you went through - my mom's a diabetic and we had a nasty surprise when she developed ketoacidosis... all's well since you're out of the hospital on your feet, though!

Thanks!  He is doing quite well now... kids are adaptable.  He had developed ketoacidosis too so it was getting quite serious when we took him in.

4 hours ago, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

Reading through the build was just as interesting as the Monogram P-51 one. I don't know how you managed to salvage it from the initial paint mishap but you have a lovely Ki-84. Big thumbs up on the oil and engine exhaust stains! Will be looking forward to the Ki-44 build.

I'm glad it was interesting.  Hopefully everyone now knows that Mr. Levelling thinner makes a good last resort for removing paint, after my experience! :D The Ki-44 is up next after I finish my A-36, which has turned out to be quite the challenge!

Edited by opus999
  • Like 1