Zvezda 1/72nd Hercules C.1P,.... RAF Herk!

tonyot

22 minutes ago, keithjs said:

A great thread so far and very useful. Anyway, this is mine so far after the modifcation to the Beaver tail using the plans in an old Hercules Warpaint. Only took about and hour with some plasticard, superglue and wet n dry. Do you think it looks OK or needs some more fettling? As you can see I bottled the interior (although it is painted etc)...

50603987708_a630aa6125_b.jpgIMG_0364

50604851922_ea86722943_b.jpgIMG_0363

50603987358_346317cabc_b.jpgIMG_0368

50603987573_f0ba76b513_b.jpgIMG_0366

Looks great Keith and you have got the tail off to a tee. ...... I`m glad to see that it can be fettled! 

9 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I’m late to the party again but excellent work so far👍🏻

I love that step with the directions! Will you be replicating that 🤣

Trevor

Thanks Trevor,...... yeah that para step was on a USAF Herk but it was too good not to include!

4 hours ago, isaneng said:

I first started flying RAF Hercs in '89, and the cockpit was 2 tone then, as depicted above. The lower colour was more 'interior green' than blue. The crew seats were a mixture - often orange cushions, armrests in black, or dark red, or in dark blue, headrest was normally black. Bunk cushions were normally green. Floor was normally grey, but I do recall other colours, such as a mid-light brown.

Later on the seat cushions became black, with a lambs wool type finish and the cockpits became. The original analogue engine instruments became 2 digital flat panel displays in around 2000.

Thanks mate,... great info. 

9 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Looks great Keith and you have got the tail off to a tee. ...... I`m glad to see that it can be fettled! 

Thanks Tony. If you think it looks OK then that's good enough for me. 

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

Last night I did a bit more  on the interior,...... added the parachute static line cables, and the red nylon strapping for the back of the seats using masking tape coloured red with a sharpie plus some of the boxes fitted to the coaming of the instrument panel in the cockpit.

DSCF8904.jpg

DSCF8905.jpg

And in case anybody has not seen it, having mentioned it earlier in the build  ,.... here is my last Herk,... the Italeri kit stretched with resin plugs from Flightpath models. I do hope that Zvesda will consider releasing a kit of this majestic looking variant;

DSCF8786.jpg

DSCF8782.jpg

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 28

1 hour ago, keithjs said:

A great thread so far and very useful. Anyway, this is mine so far after the modifcation to the Beaver tail using the plans in an old Hercules Warpaint. Only took about and hour with some plasticard, superglue and wet n dry. Do you think it looks OK or needs some more fettling? As you can see I bottled the interior (although it is painted etc)...

50603987708_a630aa6125_b.jpgIMG_0364

50604851922_ea86722943_b.jpgIMG_0363

50603987358_346317cabc_b.jpgIMG_0368

50603987573_f0ba76b513_b.jpgIMG_0366

The ducks ar*e as we call it looks pretty good in my opinion 🙂👍

Edited by fatalbert
  • Like 2

Looks very interesting, Tony! 👍 Great progress on the Herc. I have the same kit in a stash (along with the AC-130H conversion set), but after looking at your pictures I want to build the RAF camouflaged version (but without a refueling probe).

On 15/11/2020 at 16:08, tonyot said:

I do hope that Zvesda will consider releasing a kit of this majestic looking variant;

You may noticed, that the Step 16 in instruction forces you to cut the kit part H19 - just because this part is too long and it’s for the (future) stretched-fuselage version...

Thanks for sharing the progress with us! 😉

• Like 3

Tony:

Looks great!  Have you tried the fit of the fuselage halves with the details added?  My only concern is what appears to be a "hill" midway along the length of the cargo floor, apparently caused by the bulkhead beneath it.  I hope that doesn't cause any disruptions.

Alex

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Looks very interesting, Tony! 👍 Great progress on the Herc. I have the same kit in a stash (along with the AC-130H conversion set), but after looking at your pictures I want to build the RAF camouflaged version (but without a refueling probe).

You may noticed, that the Step 16 in instruction forces you to cut the kit part H19 - just because this part is too long and it’s for the (future) stretched-fuselage version...

Thanks for sharing the progress with us! 😉

Glad you like it Nikolay, thanks mate,...... I`m aware that I had to cut down the roof part, indicating a long fuselage model at some stage,...... but I simply meant that I hope Zsvesda select the RAF C.3 version (or civilian cargo version of the C-130E/H variant) as well as the more obvious stretched C-130J which is better known and more widespread. 

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Cracking work on the interior fella,  that does look the business what with the wires in place too.

Chris

Cheers Chris,..... been working on my Italeri MC-130E tonight,.... putting the decals on! 

1 hour ago, janneman36 said:

Hello Tony, that is looking da part!

Really like the detailing in the cargo bay and i love the lines on the ceiling.. great job

I am planning to do the same with those seats as well

cheers, Jan

Thanks Jan,...... yeah the seats look much better with the rear nylon straps,....... took ages but I think it was worth it. I`d like to have kitted out the interior with a full seating fit to be honest, with the central stantions and back to back seating fitted along the centre of the cargo bay. I like what you did with your crew too,..... they look great and I might use them myself. 

36 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Tony:

Looks great!  Have you tried the fit of the fuselage halves with the details added?  My only concern is what appears to be a "hill" midway along the length of the cargo floor, apparently caused by the bulkhead beneath it.  I hope that doesn't cause any disruptions.

Alex

Cheers Alex,..... I know exactly what you mean about the hump,...... I trimmed a bit from the support and got rid of it. I did struggle fitting the fuselage halves around the interior but it was mainly caused by the floor section being a tad wide,..... so I trimmed it,.... especially around the wheel well area and it fits much better now,..... I`ve not glued the fuselage halves together yet and was going to mention that when I posted the pics!!  I`m still toying with adding more detail inside the cargo area,..... I`d love to put a full set of seats inside including the back to back seating down the centreline,....... wish there were enough seats provided. 

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, keithjs said:

Can anyone confirm what the walkway lines look like on Light Stone and Brown camouflaged aircraft please?

1. I think it's covered a bit further back up the thread, but can I find it?  On early 'Ks there were no lines, just 3/4 inch diameter Golden Yellow dots at 2 foot intervals.  The walkway areas themselves were in matt/anti-slip paint.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stever219 said:
  1. I think it's covered a bit further back up the thread, but can I find it?  On early 'Ks there were no lines, just 3/4 inch diameter Golden Yellow dots at 2 foot intervals.  The walkway areas themselves were in matt/anti-slip paint.

OK, thanks will go and have a look. So not too difficult to replicate then...(he says!)

44 minutes ago, keithjs said:

OK, thanks will go and have a look. So not too difficult to replicate then...(he says!)

Photos on page 1 posted by PaulG,..... the walkway areas were matt,....... some aircraft also appear to have yellow walkway lines too,.... but not all.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stever219 said:

No, it was in a different recent thread, which I now can't find!  Anyway, here's the first time I posted that info: see post on 23 June 2017:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seahawk said:

No, it was in a different recent thread, which I now can't find!  Anyway, here's the first time I posted that info: see post on 23 June 2017:

Might be my thread on the Italeri Herk?

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

Just caught up with your build Tony, after two weeks away in the Kalahari desert. You've posted some great reference images.

My bros used to serve at Lyneham in the tower, his mate a loadmaster got us into the Herc simulator one evening. We flew from there to Gib, between us we made a very passable landing......

I do like the Brengun flaps.

Colin

• Mike changed the title to Zvezda 1/72nd Hercules C.1P,.... RAF Herk!
On 11/23/2020 at 11:09 AM, keithjs said:

Does anyone know if the white roof shape changed when the camo went from the gloss finish to the matt tactical scheme? I seem to have conflicting photos? Thanks.

After the red and blue tactical roundels were added some retained it,..... some had it covered,........ it appears that when the full repaint to a matt finish Light Stone, Dark Earth camouflage took place the white `lid' was removed,...... at least one aircraft also had the radar nose radome painted Dark Earth too. Just find a pic and built your model to match really.

8 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Just caught up with your build Tony, after two weeks away in the Kalahari desert. You've posted some great reference images.

My bros used to serve at Lyneham in the tower, his mate a loadmaster got us into the Herc simulator one evening. We flew from there to Gib, between us we made a very passable landing......

I do like the Brengun flaps.

Colin

Thanks Colin,...... hope you had a nice time on safari? Well done landing at Gib,.... I wonder if they factored in the dodgy winds around the rock into the sim too? Yeah love the flap too,..... but still cannot find mine,..... they have vanished!! 

Just finished the USAF MC-130E in RFI too. 

Cheers

Tony

Thank mate, yes great trip, lots of lion plus raptors. Lots of pics to sort through!

I'll look in RFI just now. We had the wind turned of at Gib, probable a good thing too!

Colin

• Like 1

On 17/11/2020 at 01:47, tonyot said:

but I simply meant that I hope Zsvesda select the RAF C.3 version (or civilian cargo version of the C-130E/H variant) as well as the more obvious stretched C-130J which is better known and more widespread.

The new 2021 Zvezda catalogue has an item 7324: C-130J-30. 😋

• Like 2

On 11/30/2020 at 7:13 AM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

The new 2021 Zvezda catalogue has an item 7324: C-130J-30. 😋

Cheers Nikolay,...... very good news indeed! 

• Like 1