Trying some mottling on the 1/72 Hobbyboss FW.190A-8

My latest completed model, the Hobbyboss 1/72 easy-kit of the Fw.190A-8.

It's not a great kit, not particularly accurate and missing a few details (like the aileron trim tabs). Still I like these kits and I have a few I bought for very little that I use to practice new techniques. This is one such model, as I used it to try a different way of reproducing the mottling on the fuselage... and I'm not happy with it, so I will have to try other techniques (meaning starting another HB kit...). I also tried to cut my own mask for the spiral on the spinner and again I'm not too happy with the results.

The kit is mostly OOB, apart from a few additions in the cockpit (instrument panel from plasticard, control column in plastic rod and seatbelts made with foil) and a couple of exterior bits (pitot tube in brass and lower fuselage antenna in metal wire). Decals are from the kit with the exception of the lower crosses that come from the Academy 190D.

I am not sure if this aircraft had the 20mm guns in the outer bays, Eduard offers the same subject in 1/48 scale and they think so, others say she had the 30 mm with shorter barrel... I had to decide and decided to go with Eduard as this allowed me to simply use the kit parts.

I did not add any weathering, not even a panel wash. And I omitted the wire antenna.. I rarely do this on HB kits anyway.

Not really my best model, at some point I also had problems with the clear gloss coat damaging the underlying paint and it shows in the wings, In any case it's finished and will take its place on the shelves. Next 190 will be made from a much better kit.

resized_59f326a1-730b-4ef2-becd-2c3f0c69

dc2752ff-3057-4948-80cd-d7e5b4cf6334.JPG

resized_24b1b055-88ad-418a-9a12-2e2fdf07

resized_1a394093-82a2-4319-987d-63e98096

• Like 23

Having recently completed my own HB FW-190, I understand what you're saying -- both about the accuracy and also how fun they can be anyway.  I think this one turned out very nice and the mottling looks pretty good to me.  Nicely done!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, glad you liked it !

For the mottles I tried sparying Vallejo paints with the addition of the Glaze Medium from the same company. This turns tha paint into a glaze, more transparent the more medium is added. I use this already for post-shading effects and I wanted to try and see if applying the mottles using a semitransparent paint made it easier.

The effect on the tail is not bad, however on the fuselage I had a bit too much "splatter" of paint and I couldn't control the effect how I wanted.

Next time I want to try and use paint even more transparent but with the aid of masks... stay tuned for some more experimenting