1/48 Airfix Lightning F.2A

Back in the Saddle

• 1 month later...
On 06/01/2021 at 08:04, exdraken said:

Nice :xmasparty:progress though!

A bit slow though - I've neglected this kit for the last month whilst concentrating on others...!

I sprayed the gloss black base for the Alclad yesterday. It's a bit matt at the moment, possibly as I was spraying outside and the temperature was around 0°...?

blk.jpg

Maybe waiting for warmer weather would be better?

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/02/2021 at 09:09, Col. said:

Warmer weather will certainly make for better conditions to spray paint. My project is stalled for the same reason :( 

It warmed up a little earlier in the week, so I finished spraying the black:

topb.jpg

botb.jpg

The finish is not quite as glossy as I would normally get (and the airbrush was thoroughly gummed up at the end of the process, necessitating a strip down and clean) - I suspect it may have still been a bit too cold... The finish is slightly mottled in appearance. However, the black looks reasonable and I'm hoping that the metallic finish will look a little more weathered as a result.

I intend to spray the silver during the weekend, so will see how it turns out!

• Like 6

On 23/02/2021 at 21:48, Col. said:

As a first coat it'll serve to provide a good base and some graduation to subsequent layers Matt :) 

I hope so! I gave the model a gentle rub down, which removed the rough patches. I think the lacquer was drying before it hit the model - I'm out of practice with an airbrush and suspect I was holding it too far away... After the rub down it looked like this:

alc1.jpg

I then gave the model a respray and achieved this finish:

alc2.jpg

Once more will hopefully do the job!

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Col. said:

This certainly looks to be heading the right way Matt :) 

Thank you! The aluminium looks good, so I have masked it and sprayed the fin and spine blue:

blue.jpg

I'll let it dry overnight, apply a wash and then get it varnished ready for some decals.

• Like 6

I've changed my mind about the aluminium - it still needs more work. I think I have sprayed too heavily this time, causing a reaction in the paint and the finish has signs of crazing in a couple of areas on the spine and top of the wing:

crz.jpg

Ironically the undersurfaces are perfect - it's a shame they are not easily seen on a model...!

I also want to respray the blue. Before I applied the dirty wash it looked dull; it now looks dull and dirty! I will choose a slightly lighter shade of blue and gloss it before applying the dirty wash next time!

Work might be hold for a few days, depending on the outside air temperature... I'm still hoping to finish this before the end of the GB!

• Sad 1

On 04/03/2021 at 20:13, exdraken said:

coming along nicely!

On 04/03/2021 at 20:19, LorenSharp said:

Still looks like its coming along great Painting a metal look  and weathering a dark blue are not easy.

Thank you both! It's not as good as I was hoping for, but it's better than it was:

aly.jpg

Back to weathering and varnish tomorrow, then decals. I'm hoping to sneak it over the line during the next week! 😀

• Like 9

I managed some more spraying today. The side panels on the fuselage are now painted chrome and the numerous probes, etc. have been added:

pan.jpg

The Firestreak missiles are also underway - they're built but not painted yet.

Whilst I had the chrome out I also painted the on the undercarriage struts then masked them ready for the silver:

chrom.jpg

With luck this will be finished in time!

• Like 5

On 15/03/2021 at 19:42, Dansk said:

That’s a shame Matt but I bet it’s a corker. Looking forward to see the end result.

Cheers Paul. I may be posting to a vacuum now the GB is over, but I'll pop a few more pictures up just to complete the story!

The nose ring was chromed and glued into place:

rg0.jpg

The was a noticeable ridge on the top joint, so some filler was applied:

rg1.jpg

I also attached the exhaust:

exrg.jpg

These jobs were all done last week, but I never got around to updating the thread :blush:.

Since then I have been applying the decals - I thought this would take a couple of nights but that was a very optimistic estimate! I finally finished them last night, so will spray the model with varnish today, finish the weathering and glue the last pieces into place. 👍

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...