Jump to content

AVRO Lancaster B.III - Airfix 1/72nd


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Kentavros76 said:

This is magnificent!!! :gobsmacked:

I love the black surfaces!!!:clap:

Thank you!. I was trying to make the stressed skin effect onto those surfaces by using some greyish washes and very contrasted black paint in the centre of the panels. Not sure if I succeeded with the effect but I do like the dark black colour.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW, that is a great looking Airfix Lancaster, regarding the kit itself, I think the main problem is the production process, as the kit is designed in the UK using CAD, then the moulds are manufactured in China then the plastic is extruded in India, although I don't think every kit is moulded in India as some are done in the UK I believe, but it does cast some doubts about QA how the manufacturing is process, obviously for cheapness and to get as much profit from the kit

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, janneman36 said:

A really nice built and very nice wheathering ....one thing regarding the plastic it eases the riveting😉

 

cheers, Jan

Hi Jan, Happy you like the model ...here is a work in progress photo of the riveting process:

 

e5vUsLD.jpg

 

cheers

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Robertone139 said:

Magnificent results in spite of a frustrating build.

Absolutely realistic weathering finish.

Congratulations!

Are the open flaps native of the kit or did yuu add aftermarket?

Hi Robertone139, thank you! yeah i like the weathering too, although sometimes I'm wondering if I went to patchy and I should've done an extra thin layer of paint to uniform everything ❓

The flaps came with the kit...no aftermarket 😉

 

2 hours ago, kev67 said:

WOW, that is a great looking Airfix Lancaster, regarding the kit itself, I think the main problem is the production process, as the kit is designed in the UK using CAD, then the moulds are manufactured in China then the plastic is extruded in India, although I don't think every kit is moulded in India as some are done in the UK I believe, but it does cast some doubts about QA how the manufacturing is process, obviously for cheapness and to get as much profit from the kit

Hi Kev67. Not sure what is the reason for the mediocre quality. You may be right, but aren't almost all company do the same up to an extent? Design in one place, manufacture in China etc etc etc? I don't want to keep blaming Airfix but, I won't be building any other kit from them. I rather have fun and not a bad time...

 

cheers

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, aerotechi said:

Really good looking build. 

I find airfix is a bit hit and miss my javelin was a really good except decals and my harrier just everything bad. Never had one that smells. Did washing the kit help?

Thanks aerotechi. Glad you like it.

 

To be honest I think I won't be doing any other airfix kit. I reckon I'll be able to find any subject I'm looking done by another manufacturer and chances are it will be a better option anyways 😉. And even if I can't find an alternative I rather not do it at all!. 

In my book Airfix is not worth the money, time or effort. I absolutely dislike the whole experience, from the box, the plastic, the terrible instruction booklet and so on. I don't have good memories of some Academy and old Monogram kits but in all my years modelling I don't remember any other brand that I dislike more than Airfix. And you know what? Their Lancaster is supposed to be one of their "good ones", they have many other much worse than this one. Never again!

 

PS. At least the smell was coming from the box and the instruction booklet rather than the plastic itself...

 

8 minutes ago, Mike N said:

Very nice!

Thank you Mike 👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a very impressive build. Your transparencies are a work of art alone, and the riveting sets the model apart from most builds I have seen - well done and a reward for perseverance. When you build your next one, please note that the outermost exhausts stains go under the wings and not over the top - just line them up with the wing and you will see why, and look at any photos from the war-time.  Great build despite that little glitch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

That is a very impressive build. Your transparencies are a work of art alone, and the riveting sets the model apart from most builds I have seen - well done and a reward for perseverance. When you build your next one, please note that the outermost exhausts stains go under the wings and not over the top - just line them up with the wing and you will see why, and look at any photos from the war-time.  Great build despite that little glitch.

Thanks Horatio, I'm glad you like it 👍

 

About the stains...I've checked many war time photos (as I always do in any of my builds) and almost all of them show a greyish exhaust stains over the wings...😉 In some instance they even reached the horizontal stabilisers at the back.

 

TaHNkXu.jpg?1

 

rSut9nw.jpg

 

j5UpNOT.jpg

 

cheers

jorge


 


 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JrivasK said:

Thanks Horatio, I'm glad you like it 👍

 

About the stains...I've checked many war time photos (as I always do in any of my builds) and almost all of them show a greyish exhaust stains over the wings...😉 In some instance they even reached the horizontal stabilisers at the back.

 

TaHNkXu.jpg?1

 

rSut9nw.jpg

 

j5UpNOT.jpg

 

cheers

jorge


 


 

 

Great set of images Jorge, but if you look carefully, you will notice that the exhaust stains do not come over the wings from the outermost exhausts on each wing - very clear in the images shown. The outer exhausts were below the centre-line of the wings so they exited and stained the nacelle and under wings and not over the wing as you have done in your model. Your photos clearly show 6 sets of stains while there are 8 exhausts. I'm not being critical but as a judge in many competitions it is a point I look out for as it is a common issue and is included here for your information anyway. Your model is still a lovely bit of work and I admire your skills.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

Great set of images Jorge, but if you look carefully, you will notice that the exhaust stains do not come over the wings from the outermost exhausts on each wing - very clear in the images shown. The outer exhausts were below the centre-line of the wings so they exited and stained the nacelle and under wings and not over the wing as you have done in your model. Your photos clearly show 6 sets of stains while there are 8 exhausts. I'm not being critical but as a judge in many competitions it is a point I look out for as it is a common issue and is included here for your information anyway. Your model is still a lovely bit of work and I admire your skills.

I see... thank you Horatio...I  will see if I can fix this.  😉

 

cheers

Jorge

Link to post
Share on other sites

My comment will be mainly about the kit. It is made in India. That explains a lot. My B-17 kit is also made in India and is missing a complete sprue. A friend of mine has one with air bubbles in clear parts. I guess the quality control isn't something they can be proud of. 

And yes. Airfix kits are mediocre. Even their newest, B-25, is mediocre for 2020 and the plastic they use is too soft. And their Lancaster is pretty basic. I've decided to supplement my Revell kit with some parts from Airfix kit. No, not the clear parts as Revell ones are far superior. 

 

All in all, the only thing to criticise in your model are the machine gun barrels. They are way too thick. But that's not so bad as Airfix B-17 guns that are actually in 1:48.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Josip said:

My comment will be mainly about the kit. It is made in India. That explains a lot. My B-17 kit is also made in India and is missing a complete sprue. A friend of mine has one with air bubbles in clear parts. I guess the quality control isn't something they can be proud of. 

And yes. Airfix kits are mediocre. Even their newest, B-25, is mediocre for 2020 and the plastic they use is too soft. And their Lancaster is pretty basic. I've decided to supplement my Revell kit with some parts from Airfix kit. No, not the clear parts as Revell ones are far superior. 

 

All in all, the only thing to criticise in your model are the machine gun barrels. They are way too thick. But that's not so bad as Airfix B-17 guns that are actually in 1:48.

Hi Josip. I don't think the issue has nothing to do with the fact they are made in India. It has been mentioned before there are many different countries involved in the process so if any, the fault is the bad quality control at the top. Who ever is in charged of that is doing an appalling job, wether is in China, India or the UK.

 

I actually also think Airfix has no intention on doing a better job, they are happy in the place they are because they know their fan base will continue to purchase their kits based purely on Nostalgia. I think they have been around almost longer than any other company and they have had endless opportunities to step up and produce something worthy of the 21 century but they still produce old, outdated MEDIOCRE kits! I think is time for them to STOP making those old kits and give a chance to other more serious companies to do a better job. In other words, they are in fact doing more harm than good by still making the older kits. In all fairness maybe the exception to this are some of their 1/24 kits, like the hellcat. I have never seen one but lots of people love them. Unfortunately for me and I believed they great majority, I don't build such bigger scales.

 

Regarding the gun barrels, you are absolutely right. They are WAY too thick. (* yet another BAD job by Airfix!!!) Unfortunately I couldn't find any aftermarket available at the time of the build

 

cheers 

 

Jorge

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get too down about Airfix though, as they do some great kits, such as the new Buccaneer and the Wellington, there has been a lot said about quality control though and the plastic, in my personal opinion I wish Airfix would bring everything back to the UK, including the manufacturing of the moulds, but that's only because I am in favour of backing British industry which has simply died especially in engineering terms.

Anyway try making a Mach 2 kit, you will wish you hadn't 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Josip said:

The sad fact is that Hasegawa kits from 90s have better surface details and far better plastic, while Airfix kits from 2020 are not up there yet. 

 

Cheers! 

Totally Agree! Hasegawa is constantly pretty good in my opinion. In fact, when young, before I discovered Tamiya, Hasegawa was my favourite brand. Always loved their instructions!

 

9 hours ago, kev67 said:

Don't get too down about Airfix though, as they do some great kits, such as the new Buccaneer and the Wellington, there has been a lot said about quality control though and the plastic, in my personal opinion I wish Airfix would bring everything back to the UK, including the manufacturing of the moulds, but that's only because I am in favour of backing British industry which has simply died especially in engineering terms.

Anyway try making a Mach 2 kit, you will wish you hadn't 🤣

Hi Kev67, I really understand your concerns regarding backing the British industry but that is a complete different subject. Is always sad, seen industries (and jobs) get dismantled and moved to different countries just because someone is running a business and making all the money!

 

Now, about Airfix. Mate, I don't doubt your thoughts about the Buccaneer and the Wellington been "great" kits. If you believed that is OK. Me, in the other hand, I've completely lost my faith on Airfix. I've been told many time how good is this or that kit, but really? compared to what? to the terrible old Airfix kit or to the state of the art newer kits from Eduard, Tamiya, Zoukei-Mura, Arma Hobby and many others?

 

I'm done with Airfix for good.

 

cheers

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RichieW said:

Utterly brilliant! 

 

Thank you very much 👍

 

3 hours ago, GrzeM said:

You really won that battle, doesnt't matter how imperfect kit it was. Congratulations!

 

Thank you! yeah, I think so... not sure it was worth it though...I still wish there was a better alternative to do a better job. 😉

 

cheers

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...