Splash the Zeros! - Completed

dnl42

Thanks @Col. and @Hewy! The Zero pilot went on a strict regimen and now fits. He's waiting for paint.

In the meantime, I've been working on the roll-over structure and rear IP. In the course of many less-than-successful attempts, I learned I needed a part that spanned across the cockpit under the side coaming to support the IP and the roll-over structure.

Here's what I went with.

splash-rollover3.jpg

You can also see that I reworked the upper forward fuselage to better match the prototype. The IP is installed but I haven't yet glued the roll-over structure as I need to paint most of the bits interior green and the IP black.

splash-rollover2.jpg

This isn't too bad an interpretation of the Monogram structure.

snj-canopy-misfit.jpg

Thanks for looking! :bye:

• Like 3

The Zero pilot is done. He looks a little too laid back here...might have to work on this. :shrug:

splash-pilot.jpg

Fascinating how a tight picture shows I still have oh so much work to do on the forward upper fuselage...

• Like 7

The T-6 is painted. Mr Color 35 (IJN Gray) and Mr Color 125 (Cowling Color). I need to figure out what to do about the cowl-mounted "MGs." I'm thinking of drilling them out, but may try paint. I'll use Albion tubing for the wing-mounted "cannon", though they seem to have been portrayed as MGs.... The kit's Hinomaru have a white outer ring, so I'll either trim the decals or paint them. I need to paint a tail band in any event. I'll need to print decals for the tail markings and the exhausts. Masking the canopy will be a nightmare!

splash-painted.jpg

Edit: And I also fabricated face curtains for the F-14 ejection seats. I haven't figured out how to get the yellow stripes on, so I may need to skip that bit.

splash-f-14-facecurtain.jpg

Edited by dnl42
  • Like 8

On 1/24/2021 at 11:50 PM, dnl42 said:

I haven't figured out how to get the yellow stripes on, so I may need to skip that bit.

What!?! How can you possibly consider missing out such a prominent feature :o Next you won't be ensuring the correct number of rivets on some of the underside panels :lol: 

Sorry, seriously now, that's great work again :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Col. said:

What!?! How can you possibly consider missing out such a prominent feature :o Next you won't be ensuring the correct number of rivets on some of the underside panels :lol: 

Well, when you say it like that, perhaps I did obsess a little...

In my defense, that yellow bit is fairly prominent.

1 hour ago, Thom216 said:

Loved that movie, and that scene is just classic!

Your planes are looking great and I can't wait to see the finish!

Thanks! The flight scenes are just amazing. I hope I do it justice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Well, when you say it like that, perhaps I did obsess a little...

In my defense, that yellow bit is fairly prominent.

Don't let this unduly influence your decision, the finished model will be sitting in your display and must satisfy you after all, but what I usually do in these circumstances is look at photos from a more general viewpoint rather than the detailed close-ups to get a feel for the overall look of the machine. Due to this I usually go with a mixed yellow-brown to dull down the yellow stripes on ejection seat handles that will not make them so obvious and distracting. Either way I'm sure you'll produce a good result once you break out the three-haired brush and finish off those seats ;) 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Col. & @TonyOD!

Decided it was warm enough and dry enough to get a little airbrushing in.

splash-hinomaru.jpg

I drew some quick masks for the Hinomaru in Inkscape and cut them onto Tamiya masking tape on my Silhouette Portrait using the inkscape-silhouette extension.

zero-masks.png

The fuselage stripe was masked with Parafilm "M". I cut 2 strips, pulled them to get them tacky, and then carefully wrapped them around the fuselage. The tail numbers are too small to mask, so I'll print them on clear decal paper once I decide which of the two planes this is.

• Like 3

The Tomcat got a Master Alpha Probe and a coat of paint. I painted the fin tips instead of using Revell's decals.

splash-f-14-painted.jpg

Revell also provided decals for the inflatable nacelle boots and exhaust. I need to ponder those as they'd be a massive PITA to paint.

• Like 4

Thanks @Col. and @keefr22!

The Tomcat is now marked! :yahoo: 

splash-f-14-decals.jpg

The canopy is just sitting in place for the shot. The decals include canopy framing--they worked out quite well.

Hm, the markings aren't quite right. No pilot & RIO names among other issues...

Nk-Os-XNF-Zo-M-1-14.png

A fun photo from the set

dm1433.jpg

Thanks for looking! :bye:

• Like 5

And the tail numbers are on the Zero. I drew this in Gimp; I needed 3 separate fonts for the "AI-", the "II", and "3" to get the correct appearance. I printed on Kodiak Supplies clear ink jet decal paper for the first time--quite happy with the result. Tamiya X-22 was applied to protect the ink. Only MSI Micro Set has been used; I put tome Micro Sol on tomorrow.

splash-ai-113.jpg

Next up are those wing cannons.

• Like 4

The Zero is now armed. I used 0.5mm Albion tubing. I cut troughs in the fuselage top with a micro chisel and drilled holes into the wings.

That canopy looked OK from a distance, but it's horrible in this photo. :poop:  I stripped it and will try again. 

splash-armed.jpg

• Like 4

Incredible work!             :worthy:

Love that Tomcat!

The "Zero" is looking rather nice too, great job on the nose guns!

Might be worth looking at painting clear decal paper and cutting it in (albeit tiny) strips for the canopy?

I have an example I did on a 1/144 Fairey Battle:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Murdo said:

I have an example I did on a 1/144 Fairey Battle:

I hope dnl doesn't mind me asking an OT question, but did the Battle come with undercarriage bits? Been tempted to get a few of the Zvezda 144th's but had it in my head they could only be built gear up? Cracking little Battle BTW!

Keith

edit - just found a youtube build of the Battle and a few other Zvezda 1/144's and all I've watched have undercarriages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1