And now for something completely different ! ##Finished##

JOCKNEY

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

All advice / tips gratefully received 

On 11/13/2020 at 6:07 PM, JOCKNEY said:

It was cheap, us Scots have a reputation to maintain you know ! :giggle:

OK if you saved money buying the smaller kit how about putting the money towards a pair of underpants to go under that Kilt!  

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

OK if you saved money buying the smaller kit how about putting the money towards a pair of underpants to go under that Kilt!  

I can'ne do that I'm afraid it would be too restrictive for being able to properly Toss ma Caber ! :whistle:

• Haha 5

Pat, I would not know where to start to build a Viking ship, or anything floating for that matter!

So you are a braver man than I am. 

Do not forget the barf bags and inflight magazines to put in the seat pockets.

I am sure you will have a lot of fun and entertain us all while doing so.

JR

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

. . .

Below is the painting guide, has anyone got any tips on shades of brown to use for the wood ?

Humbrol 71 Oak with a coat of clear yellow over it for a fresh-build look to hull and decks

Humbrol 110 Wood brown for the mast and oars

Humbrol 103 Cream for the backs of the shields

If you want an easy build and easy life, I'll stay away, otherwise I'll be interfering too much

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pat,

Don't know if this will be any help. The Osprey Vanguard book on the Viking Longship says that keel and the hull planking was oak as was the rudder and the "mast fish" - a large block into which the mast slotted as it could be raised and lowered when needed. The ribs which support the hull, the deck planking, the mast and the yards (bit the sail hangs from) were all pine, as were the oars. Of course I guess it would depend on the availablity of suitable timber so there would be some variation.

I have PM'd you a pic. As you can see oak is quite "yellowish" whilst pine seems to be a bit darker/redder, but I am no expert. What you do not want I think is a "dark earth" like brown. Your kit is of the ship excavated at Oseberg and is of a type known as a Karvi. Smaller that the later longship it was built around 800AD they think and is restored and in the Viking Ship Museum at Bygdey nerar Oslo so you might be able to finds some pics. Here is a link.

https://www.vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/en/

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Pat,

Don't know if this will be any help. The Osprey Vanguard book on the Viking Longship says that keel and the hull planking was oak as was the rudder and the "mast fish" - a large block into which the mast slotted as it could be raised and lowered when needed. The ribs which support the hull, the deck planking, the mast and the yards (bit the sail hangs from) were all pine, as were the oars. Of course I guess it would depend on the availablity of suitable timber so there would be some variation.

I have PM'd you a pic. As you can see oak is quite "yellowish" whilst pine seems to be a bit darker/redder, but I am no expert. What you do not want I think is a "dark earth" like brown.  Having said that the book says that the wood was coated liberally with pine tar which helped to waterproof it - equivalent to marine varnish these days I suppose, so that would presumably darken it somewhat. Your kit is of the ship excavated at Oseberg and is of a type known as a Karvi. Smaller that the later longship it was built around 800AD they think and is restored and in the Viking Ship Museum at Bygdey near Oslo so you might be able to finds some pics. Here is a link.

https://www.vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/en/

Pete

• 1 month later...

I know you thought I had forgotten all about this one, well....

First some experimenting with different browns for the wood

IMG_5495

IMG_5496

This is all the parts for the kit, the stand I see going to come in very handy for building it

IMG_5497

IMG_5498

IMG_5499

Difficult to see from the picture above but big gaps down each side of the deck so filling required if we are to avoid it sinking. So a bit of filler required 

IMG_5500

More later

Cheers Pat

• Like 8

5 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

A little teaser to show I have been making progress, assisted by Luka our Ragdoll kitten

Aw, cute! The kitten I mean, but your little ship fits that category as well. Looks pretty good! One swip of kittie's paw and your work is gone though... be careful 🙂 

• Haha 2

Great looking Viking ship and nice to see a curve ball in the GB. Nearly there too by the looks of it. Top work Sir!

Looks to me like you need to keep an eye on Luka the kitten. Before you know it.....

50843795663_39d3fafe3e.jpg

Kattegat? See what I did there 🤣

• Haha 8

Well I'm calling this one done

turns out much better than I thought, completely different for me but that what's makes these GB's so special 

Hope you like it

cheers Pat

IMG_5569

IMG_5564

IMG_5562

PS; @JeroenS that's 100% completion rate for the ️  Sailing ships section of this GB !

• Like 13

• JOCKNEY changed the title to And now for something completely different ! ##Finished##

Nice one Pat, a fun little build. 

8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

PS; @JeroenS that's 100% completion rate for the ️  Sailing ships section of this GB !

Well done Sailing ships!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A great little model Pat.  Congratulations!

BTW, I think Luka might have come in the wrong box.  He/she looks very Burmese to me (I have two staring at me right now) :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Great work Pat, and to get fully in to the swing of it....

Suveren vikingskip Pat. Ser fantastisk ut, og du har gjort en strålende jobb på denne modellen.

Phew! I need a lie down now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely job, Pat. The colours turned out well and the shields look very 'inspired'! Does it float? Also, are the crew all under the 'hoose' having their looted haggis? (I haven't suggested putting a crew in as I'm sure you would have come back looking for the full complement of 1,382 to be visible on the Prinz Eugen! Well done. All the best. Mike.

• Haha 1