Italian red in 50's

Vesa Jussila

A really good match for the Rosso Corsa used on the 250GTO is Rover Chilli Red. Real car paint - I use Halfords.

It's even been agreed on Ferrari forums.

I used it it on my 1/8 scratch build - until a buyer wanted the model in silver to match his own car...

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've always understood that Alfa racing red is a darker shade than Ferrari's.

Zero do this and they show a couple of race cars of different eras in the listing;

https://www.hiroboy.com/Alfa_Romeo_Rosso_Red_Paint_30ml--product--13715.html

However, Gravity colors Spain do this bright red that they say is "Solid red color used in the early Alfa Romeo era." 

https://gravity-colors.com/model-car-paints/alfa-romeo-rosso-alfetta/

Keith

• Thanks 1

The Gravity paint colour looks good,but for 50's Ferraris I have finally settled on Tamiya spray TS49,literally says bright red. See my 1953 Ferrari 357MM a couple of pages back,I've tried loads of different colours in the past! Chris.

• 2 months later...
On 12/11/2020 at 21:14, roymattblack said:

A really good match for the Rosso Corsa used on the 250GTO is Rover Chilli Red. Real car paint - I use Halfords.

It's even been agreed on Ferrari forums.

I used it it on my 1/8 scratch build - until a buyer wanted the model in silver to match his own car...

I am looking for "Rover Chilli Red" in Halfors but can only find "BMW Mini Chilli Red". Is that the one you refer to? thanks

Be aware that the term 'rosso corsa' was generic; of the GTO's which left the factory painted 'red', the actual colour was called Rosso Cina. At that point the cars would have been the same colour. However, a number of these cars, plus others which left the factory in colours other than red, were later re-painted 'rosso corsa', and not necessarily Rosso Cina. A good example is Irvine Laidlaw's GTO, 3527GT, which left the factory in Rosso Cina, but in recent years when compared to a confirmed Rosso Cina example parked next to it, was seen to be a much darker shade.