Help dealing with wrinkled decals

ta152da_best

Hello everyone,

I've been working on the Polish MiG-21 MF kit from academy for a while now, and the time has come for me to put the decals in position. Considering the potential final result, I was both excited and also worried at the prospect of facing some issues with getting those long and thin decals to conform to the surface properly...

Unfortunately, I am now facing some issues with the decals. More specifically, wrinkling issues (see below).

Decals were applied on three layers of gloss (result probably closer to semi gloss TBH), and some micro set. I've already gone over the decals 4-5 times with micro sol, and I am at a point where I don't even know if the decal solution is having more of a positive or a negative effect. Do you have any thoughts on what I could do to get rid of the wrinkles? (Or at least reduce their appearance as much as possible). I've also cut through the decal where the wrinkles were wide enough, and that has helped a bit in a few cases.

I'm thinking of applying quite a few gloss coats (Mr Color GX Super Clear III thinned with Mr Leveling thinner), and then slowly sanding down the excess gloss, and with it the protruding wrinkles. I have access to sanding sponges all the way to 12000 Grit.

Thank you all for taking some time,

Best,

Mat

spacer.png    spacer.png

I would be worried that your method might result in removing the decal leaving thin lines underneath - i don't see you would gain anything by adding coats of varnish - that might be OK if you feel confident about paint touch up,

I would try using some powerful setting solution - I use 'Ultimate decal setting solution extra strong' - let the decal soften up a bit, and then press down with a moist cotten bud - working on a small area of the decal at a time,

This is powerful stuff and there is a risk of actually causing more damage, so a test would be advised.

To avoid this sort of thing - and contrary to the instructions - I will risk giving the decal a poke while the intitial application of solution is still wet if I see the potential for a permanent wrinkle forming while drying.

Cheers

Colin

Thanks for the help. I have indeed been thinking for a while now about getting a stronger decal setting solution, as I've had a few instances of decals not being very cooperative.

20 minutes ago, ckw said:

I will risk giving the decal a poke while the initial application of solution is still wet if I see the potential for a permanent wrinkle forming while drying.

I assume it would be possible to apply the stronger decal solution and leave the aircraft alone while it dries, and then go with your method contrary to the instructions if the wrinkles are still present?

Thanks again for the help,

Mat

24 minutes ago, ta152da_best said:

I assume it would be possible to apply the stronger decal solution and leave the aircraft alone while it dries, and then go with your method contrary to the instructions if the wrinkles are still present?

Yes, that would be a sensible approach, but watch out for wrinkles turning into creases which will probably be impossible to correct

Cheers

Colin

Have you tried using a sharp needle and pricking the creases? The setting solution will be able to get into the decal and work better. Also a cotton bud dipped in almost boiling water and used directly onto the creases as a sort of iron can help, but it's not without risk. Also, as already mentioned, a stronger decal setting solution could help..