Mr Color white primer

Starspell

Dear All,

Been looking at a white primer for my current project...........but going to need a lot of it! 

Is Mr Surfacer any good?  Seems to suggest it is a micro-filler so does that mean it will fill small details (or just scratches?)

Looking for something economical............just used a whole can of Tamiya primer and got nowhere near done. Guessing airbrush is better than rattle cans.

Any advice/suggestions greatly welcome whatever the brand

I use Mr Surfacer 1000 all the time although the grey not the white. It’s a good product. 

As far as filling scratches goes your only talking about very small ones so I wouldn’t read to much into that one. 

HTH

James

• Like 1

@bmwh548 I'm looking for something to use with airbrush rather than out of a can, have lots of small parts/assys and so a can would be very wasteful.

@franky boy, thanks, but Mr Surfacer 1000 only seems to be grey (and quite a dark grey at that) and not white?

SF283 MR.BASEWHITE 1000, anyone familiar with this?

Blurb says "Mr. BASE WHITE is useful for making a black, red or other dark-colored surface white. This newly developed product uses special pigments to completely hide the base color and aids application of detailed finishing and top coats. Because it also works as a surfacer, it can be used to hide small imperfections".

Nothing mentioned about thinning for airbrush use.........is it ready to use out of the bottle (40ml) or should it be thinned.....to make it go further :)

Edited by Starspell
Typo error

I meant buying automotive paint that you have "made" for you and sold as is, not in a rattle can. I have a few shops in town that mix and sell any color you want starting from 100 grams. And for airbrush use I dilute it 1:1 with lacquer thinner. Bought white 2 years ago and only used about half of it. Pigment is brilliant.

I used Mr Surfacer 1500 on my last bike build and I can highly recommend it. Thinned roughly 50:50* with MrLT and it sprays on very smoothly. Tamiya spray cans are great but with this you have more control of where it goes. More cost effective too.

*Err on the side of more thinner rather than less.

Edited by Stef N.

@Steve Noble 1/72 HMS Snowberry, 3ft long and started by someone else and my planned ship (HMS La Malouine) has a completely different paint job.....80% of it white! The colourcoats paint I have is not covering so good so need to get it all back to white and go from there