Panther Ausf.D

vaoinas

First of all, I think this Takom model seems very good, full of high definition details, something unusual for 1/35 models. Second to express my admiration for your wonderful paint job and dirt that is giving your Panther a very realistic look. I hope I know how to pin my Panther like you !!!! Thank you very much for sharing your fun.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks, guys. Your kind words are very much appreciated.

On 04/12/2020 at 19:12, robw_uk said:

paint is very realistic, what are you using for the weathering?

For weathering there are Ammo-Mig dark brown wash for the pin wash and then several oils. And a few Mig pigments as well to add some dust.

I have yet to discover the world of oil effects myself as I go along the way here.

Well but back to the progress. Next obvious step would be the sponson floors, but beforehand the brackets for the schürzen needed to be added underside.

These are PE parts from the Aber set and are easier to add while the sponson floors are separate.

I also made the fire extinguisher myself using some leftovers from other projects. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then, as I had some stuff still coming by mail I had nothing much else to do, but assemble the tracks.

These are by MasterClub and though they need quite an extensive cleanup, they look great when completed and are robust to handle.

spacer.png

Then, just before holidays, I got my ammo for the interior - five sets of Tamiya 35173 Panther Brass 75mm Projectiles to be exact. 
I decided to go with the aftermarket mostly because I thought unpainted brass shells would look much nicer than painted plastic. But these also turned out to have much finer detail

than the plastic ones in Takom kit. I used Archer Fine Transfers decals for markings and after all they turned out pretty good.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here's all the stuff added to the model.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers, 

Kristjan

Edited by vaoinas
cleared the mess with img URLs
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Well, thanks.

I've assembled the engine now. 

It's the Maybach HL210 P30 engine that the first 250 Panthers were equipped with and has some differences compared to the later HL230 engine.

Takom's take on it is very detailed and looks great straight out of the box. But I couldn't hold myself back to have a bit of fun with it, so I added some lengthy bits of brass wire here and there.

Obviously most of it will be well hidden when the engine sits in its place but that doesn't bother me much.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here's to show how tight it sits in the tank. I probably won't even have to use a glue to fix it in there because all the pipes and hoses hold it right in place.:

spacer.png

Of course the whole thing will be disassembled to get it painted properly.

spacer.png

And here are the gas and oil tanks as well as plenty of pipes and hoses. Only thing that bothered me with these is that Takom left all the backsides of the tanks hollow, 

so though it will not be visible in the end, I thought it will be right thing to do to cover this emptiness with some plastic and styrene.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Kristjan

Edited by vaoinas
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, and thanks.

If you liked it unpainted, then check this out. 

Tried some new techniques here. I used oils much more than I used to and found them pretty nice to work with.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is the striped hose, that will be prominent when the engine bay is completed.

spacer.png

And I also started to put the stuff into the rear end of the tank. Here are the fuel tanks already glued in.

I added some more oil stains to the engine bay as well prior to fitting the engine in.

spacer.png

Cheers!
Kristjan

Edited by vaoinas
  • Like 20

There is some astonishingly good work going into this build Kristjan. I do admire the patience of you guys that build full interior kits especially when you put this much effort into it knowing that most of it can't be seen on the finished model. Do you have plans to make the interior visible?

Wayne

• Thanks 1

You are too kind, my friends.

21 hours ago, vytautas said:

Is the engine difficult to start? And what kind of gasoline do you use? 🙂

The engine looks like a real one, very impressive!

Vytautas

Haven't found the crank yet to start it.

The gasoline recommended for this kind of engine is called "das Benzin".

You can get it only from Germany and it is delivered in very small barrels.

3 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Do you have plans to make the interior visible?

Wayne

I have a few ideas to make the engine deck and the front opening detachable. And the turret of course. 

The plan is to hide some magnets in the engine air filters and in the radio box so the covers could be removed if needed. 

The next update will follow soon.

Kristjan

Edited by vaoinas
  • Like 1

And it didn't take too long to get all the stuff into the engine bay.

Even though its pretty crowded there, the fit was actually very good.

Only thing is to notice is to not trust the order the instructions give you too much and test fit 

everything all the time.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ammo storage and last minor details were added into the fighting compartment along with the engine.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here's how she looks right now. Only the cooling system to add and few hoses and I could go on with the upper part of the hull.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers!

Kristjan

Edited by vaoinas
  • Like 13