Spitfire Mk I

Stefan Buysse

Hi,

This one will be part of my project to build at least one Spitfire representing each year from 1938 to 1945.

I'll use the Eduard dual combo to build a model of a No19 Sqn Spitfire from the late summer of 1938. 

3FDr514.jpg

I'm going to deviate from Eduard's decal option (K9795). I'll build this as K9789, the very first one delivered to No 19 Sqn.

Cheers, Stefan. 

• Like 5

A Spitfire to accompany your Hurricane is also most welcome Stefan and I'm sure many will be interested to read your thoughts on this new kit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very ambitious project... will tag along if you don't mind.

Have several spitfires in my stash, including the Eduard box you are showing... Every time I see the Battle of Britain movie I feel the rush to start building them...:laugh:... One of these days will start...:whistle:...

• Like 1

Thanks for taking an interest, guys.

Before I can really get into this one, I need to finish my Spitfire Mk Vb in the MTO GB. Time is running out on that one.

As I was getting ready to spraypaint the prop blades of the Mk Vb, I also assembled the props for this one.

Yes, two props. 😉

There is a choice of two parts in the Eduard kit for the front of the spinner of the Watts propellor, a smooth one and one with a small dimple.

I asked about that on the forums here and Holmsey replied that he found the one with dimple in pictures of early Spitfires of No 19 Sqn.

I then realised that this is a "dual combo", so I can build two Watts props (one with and one without the dimple) and not glue them in place.

I can make out the dimple in photos of early No 19 Sqn Spitfires, but I have so far not seen a picture of K9789 on delivery that showed the front of the spinner.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have started the construction of the kit. 

The first wing (of this dual combo) that I built will be used for the late Mk I. I have started the other wing for my 1938 model for two reasons. I may have been a bit careless in how I glued parts P15 and P16 in place. I then realised that these will be the location of the landing gear legs.  If P 15 and P 16 are not well done, the gear is bound to look wonky.

I may build the other Spitfire of the dual combo as a flying one now.

While I was glueing the gun barrel parts (R10 and R11) in place, I started to doubt where exactly to seat them. On the 1938 model, 4 barrels protrude slightly from the wing. I went with all R10's (the short ones) on the wing that had glue on it already. 

I then did some test fitting and made the wing for my 1938 model. 

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 3