Jump to content

Hurricane kit woes.


Recommended Posts

Has anyone here who has built the Arma Hobby Mk.1 Hurricane had any major fit problems with their build???  I ask as I am having an issue with the undercarriage bay 'box' and the joining of the upper to lower wing halves.

Almost at the point of binning it.

Any one care to comment?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have experienced this, if you push the front end of the box backwards (ie into the bay) it might slide into a recess in the wing which I am pretty sure is meant to accommodate it but doesn't.

The other time I built it I didn't think to do this and ended up just trimming the top of the "box".

 

Push through, this is the only dodgy bit of the kit, the rest of it is cracking (they really dropped the ball on the fit of the UC bay with those flipping location tabs and the mating with the wing)!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, OutcastJoel said:

I have experienced this, if you push the front end of the box backwards (ie into the bay) it might slide into a recess in the wing which I am pretty sure is meant to accommodate it but doesn't.

The other time I built it I didn't think to do this and ended up just trimming the top of the "box".

 

Push through, this is the only dodgy bit of the kit, the rest of it is cracking (they really dropped the ball on the fit of the UC bay with those flipping location tabs and the mating with the wing)!

Thanks for that. Sounds just like the problem I am having. Thought it was me being silly.    On joining the wing halves after the box, the wing halves do not touch at front end with a gap of 1.5 mmm at least!   I have shaved the box parts down and waiting for glue to set but with a dry run it looks better.  Very disappointing that such a nice looking kit has such a major fit issue.   The box area locating tab/recess looks too small ant the bay parts too deep. Also found the tabs where the parts join are either too big or the location holes too small. I cut the off. Will take a look in the morning to see if the surgery I did works . In addition, the two parts that fit across the bay also need trimming as I found out after all the other paring down work.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Same problem area I experienced.  I ended up gluing the wing halves in three sessions, leaving them each time clamped to cure over night.  Started with gluing the mid area first nearest the fuselage, front and back.  Second day continued with the front, but only up to the lamps in the leading wing edge.  Third day, finished off the rest.

 

Only got to the test fit stage for placing the fuselage to wing, and find the cockpit tubular frame structure can impede the fit.  Some firm pressure does help to 'click' it in place.

 

regards,

Jack

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can put the undercarriage( parts28, 29) at the end of your building, and not at the beginning like they say on the instruction.

For the fitting of the wings I cut a bit of the position hole on part18

 

Best regard

 

Alain

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul J said:

On joining the wing halves after the box, the wing halves do not touch at front end with a gap of 1.5 mmm at least!   I have shaved the box parts down and waiting for glue to set but with a dry run it looks better.  Very disappointing that such a nice looking kit has such a major fit issue.   The box area locating tab/recess looks too small ant the bay parts too deep. Also found the tabs where the parts join are either too big or the location holes too small. I cut the off. Will take a look in the morning to see if the surgery I did works . In addition, the two parts that fit across the bay also need trimming as I found out after all the other paring down work.

It does all fit Paul,  but it's fiddly.   and the tabs for the front and back of the wheel well are too big,  and the mould lines top and bottom of the well parts need very through clean up.

 

"Cleaning up the upper and lower edges of the WW front back back is very important, and I used the wing upper and lower as a jig to get everything aligned dry, and the wick a little TET to attach the WW parts to the upper wing.

I then removed the lower part, and made sure the ends were properly joined, for the UC leg fixing.

the cross pieces took some wiggling into place, with the lower wing dry fitted, once happy, TET wicked to fix. and I dropped the etch upper part in later."

 

"I found the peg on the two wheel bays halves needed careful filing for it to fit the slot, getting these parts to fit snugly is important, as this is where the main UC leg goes later, and affect fit of wheel bay into wing.
Also in need of enlarging are the holes in the main spar for the UC leg retraction.

The instructions would have you fit the UC legs early on, but they can be wiggled in later"

see for more details.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235080866-hurricane-mki-arma-hobby-72nd-scheme-tbc/

 

HTH

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul J said:

Very disappointing that such a nice looking kit has such a major fit issue.

FWIW: on the Mk.II kit, they've taken the feedback concerning that fit problem and changed the parts slightly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I was relieved when this thread first appeared as it showed it was not just me with this problem. So I started the Mk. IIb/c. Same thing  I'll leave it overnight and start sanding tomorrow.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from opening the location holes as the pins were too big in the bay assembly (and most other small part location points), mine went together like a dream. On the images I took during the build, there is only a very fine smear of filler along the port wing leading edge inboard of the wing strengthening strips.

 

All the best with your build,

 

Ray

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 304th BRAT said:

I've completed 12 mk1's with no problems.

So do I, no big problems with the Mk I, 25 made, and more to come, with 3 Mk II also made and also more to come.

Thanks to DK decals.....

 

Best regard

 

Alain

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I'd have a look at mine, decided to chop the locator pins off and glued the rear of the box (20) in. After cleaing up and dry fitting the front (21) the wing closed up as long as 21 was the right way round.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Had problem with fitting the wing to fuselage now. Very tight fit  When it does at one end the other pops out! Looks like more grinding down of mating surfaces. Despite the fact its a very nice kit and accurate it loses out on fit issues. Why, as in some cases mentioned above, does the fit issue not apply to all these Hurricane  kits??????

Yours disappointed.......

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people manage to fit together the Airfix Hurricane with no trouble, and I found more problems than you describe with the Arma one.  I admit probably not having dry  fitted the wings of the latter, but the problem is familiar from other Eastern European kits, especially those with resin wheel bays!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting how people are having different experiences with the fit of this kit. 

 

Need more clarification from those that stated 'no problems'.  Does this mean it fell together like Tamiya, or the odd gap of 0.5mm which was considered as nothing to fuss over?

 

Concerning part 21, there is a tab at either end that does not fit the holes of part 20, so just lob those off.   I think it was already mentioned, but part 21 is composed of two molded parts, resulting in raised detail all around (it basically looks like the molds slipped ever slightly).   

 

pUtUctT.jpg

 

Was able to pry the wing halves apart after already being glued, and cleaned up the part better.   Afterwards obtained a better fit, but one side still wants to pop the wings apart on the leading edge inner port side.  Am assuming there should still be a gap where the single arrow is pointed, between part 21 and cockpit floor piece?

 

5As6duI.jpg

 

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a gap on mine, the arched side of 21 followed the contour of the lower wing, if the flat side was down there .5mmish of a gap at the wing join.

 

I filed down the sprue attachment points, but didn't remove the flash from the locator pins.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I built one of these last year and then did a IIc earlier this year and am in the process of finishing a second Mk I. The first one I built I put the gear bay assembly in upside down, learned from that on the next few. Anyway when I was in the midst of assembly on the second Mk I I made some notes for another forum and thought they may be worthwhile here too.

spacer.png

 

A, is easier added after the fuselage halves are together

B needs to be cut off so the upper wing roundels won't have to attempt (and fail) to snuggle around

C not sure why this is there but it is  major contributor to fit issues getting the wing and fuselage together. Either remove the stub or enlarge the notch in the fuselage wing root.

 

As others have said, the Mk IIc/b kits are easier. 

Edited by Chuck1945
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, looked at mine, perfect fit at the leading edge, only the tiniest gap at the centre-section/floor.  It occurs to me that mine was one of the earliest, so possibly the ones with problems were later in the run when tools were perhaps wearing a little, or attention slipping?  I've yet to try the Mk.IIc, but find it difficult to imagine this step being easier, but I imagine that this applies to the undercarriage fit which I haven't tried yet.           

 

    

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 304th BRAT said:

I've completed 12 mk1's with no problems.

 

11 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

So do I, no big problems with the Mk I, 25 made, and more to come, with 3 Mk II also made and also more to come.

Thanks to DK decals.....

 

Best regard

 

Alain

 

Respectively 12 and 25 built, so far?! You guys are my heroes! You must be absolute building machines! Respect!!!

 

John

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

OK, looked at mine, perfect fit at the leading edge, only the tiniest gap at the centre-section/floor.  It occurs to me that mine was one of the earliest, so possibly the ones with problems were later in the run when tools were perhaps wearing a little, or attention slipping?  I've yet to try the Mk.IIc, but find it difficult to imagine this step being easier, but I imagine that this applies to the undercarriage fit which I haven't tried yet.           

 

    

 

 

Mine was a recent purchase with the revised canopy which Arma says was packed form the first of September 2020.

 

large_70042-clear-sprue.jpg?lm=160526120

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, John Thompson said:

 

 

Respectively 12 and 25 built, so far?! You guys are my heroes! You must be absolute building machines! Respect!!!

 

John

I finish 3 models a week all in 72 scale, and more than 3000 models made, for 50 years of hobby.

I spend a lot of time with my models. In fact, retired from the Forces, single, and no more parents to looking for....

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MACALAIN said:

I finish 3 models a week all in 72 scale, and more than 3000 models made, for 50 years of hobby.

I spend a lot of time with my models. In fact, retired from the Forces, single, and no more parents to looking for....

I've been under lock down earlier than most due to medical problems and also am ex RAF and a widower so have plenty of time for modelling. Am hoping to complete a Hurri from each of the BoB squadrons. Have another dozen in various stages but find that care in cleaning up parts and dry fitting solves any problems with fitment of parts. Not trying to teach anyone how to suck eggs.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, JackG said:

It's interesting how people are having different experiences with the fit of this kit. 

 

Need more clarification from those that stated 'no problems'.  Does this mean it fell together like Tamiya, or the odd gap of 0.5mm which was considered as nothing to fuss over?

 

Concerning part 21, there is a tab at either end that does not fit the holes of part 20, so just lob those off.   I think it was already mentioned, but part 21 is composed of two molded parts, resulting in raised detail all around (it basically looks like the molds slipped ever slightly).   

 

pUtUctT.jpg

 

Was able to pry the wing halves apart after already being glued, and cleaned up the part better.   Afterwards obtained a better fit, but one side still wants to pop the wings apart on the leading edge inner port side.  Am assuming there should still be a gap where the single arrow is pointed, between part 21 and cockpit floor piece?

 

5As6duI.jpg

 

regards,

Jack

About the gap, it's inside, and when you fit your fuselage, you don't see anything.

But I don' remember if I had such a gap at this place!!!!

 

Alain

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...