Arma Vs Airfix, 1/72 Hurricane Mk1

I felt in need of a bit of a mojo boost so what could be better than building the basic version of the most enjoyable kit I have built recently along side an Aldi £5 special?

For this I will be building both without any extras although I might be making some masks for the Airfix kit if 601 sqn had any rag wing Hurricanes (I will look at the 601 thread at some point to check).

I have tonnes of tin wing decals so will need to pause to pick a scheme at some point!

Because I am building the two most recent 1/72nd kits I figured this was a good opportunity to try on my comparison hat, so without further ado, what is in the box?

Arma:

50591222412_747ac63d13_k.jpg20201109_192445_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

This comes  with four different markings in really nice decals, the moulding is really nice and crisp. The details are good, almost but not quite at Eduard Spitfire quality.

This one doesn't come with a mask set like the "Expert" set but it does include a template for masks on the instruction sheet which is nice!

Airfix:

50590360953_1e0038337a_k.jpg20201109_192204_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

Only one marking option in this one but it is printed by cartograph so you know the decals will be superb. 

The plastic is surprisingly nice, certainly Airfix on a good day! The detail is almost on a par with the Arma kit. They take it in turns to have areas of sharper detail, but the Arma kit is generally a little sharper. The clear bits are good bit sharper and cleaner on the Arma kit.

The Airfix kit has some nice features to simplify construction like single piece undercarriage if being build wheels up.

Both kits have really nice clear instructions.

• Like 5

Can't entirely agree about the Airfix kit - there was a major mismatch on mine between the upper and lower wings.  Either they met nicely around the edges or the guns and ailerons matched up, but not both.  Fitting the wings neatly round the edges meant the fuselage was too wide to fit between them.  There was some difficulty in getting the undercarriage to fit in the bay, but not too bad.  The wheels were of a later type, but replacements are/were available.  In other ways it was indeed a good kit, but not a great advertisement for Airfix engineering.

• Like 1

I must admit I have found the Airfix kit to fit quite well so far, certainly beating the Arma kit at this point, although I have only done the wings and under carriage bays (and unlike the rest of the kit) the fit of the Arma UC bay is pretty bad.

50590374248_c897185a9c_k.jpg20201111_191450_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

50590374413_1f69928bf7_k.jpg20201111_191515_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

It is worth noting that although all of the panel lines on the Airfix kit fitted really well, and the seam was pretty tight, I found the lower wing halves slightly larger (~0.5mm?) at both wing tips.

• Like 3

I have just built the Airfix Mk.1 and found no major issues with fit anywhere on the kit..... unlike the Arma one sadly that has the wheel bay boxing fit issue.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Can't entirely agree about the Airfix kit - there was a major mismatch on mine between the upper and lower wings. 

Funny I didn’t have any issues but did have on their P40 and Mustang. But not on the hurricane or Spitfire.

Might not be the engineering, might be the moulding. I did a bit of work for an injection moulding company it’s a bit of a black art; depending on the temperature, pressure , fill time, time left in the mold etc etc results can vary significantly.

• Like 2

I'll be following, if that's okay.

I've got a couple of Arma Hurricanes in build at the moment (must get on with them!), and so far haven't had any problems at all other than that, if anything, the parts fit is too good if you pre-paint.

I've just picked up the Airfix Mk.I ragwing as an Aldi £5 special, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes together.

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1

@VT Red Sox Fan, it is my pleasure! I don't know much about aeroplanes or models but what I do know I like to share.

For a basic kit with no extras, the detail in the Arma Cockpit is superb:

50596508606_d927099223_k.jpg20201112_185605_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

This is just clipped together at this point, the fit of the fuselage and the fuselage to wing joint is bang on.

50595767853_aaa6ba22b8_k.jpg20201113_085321_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 3

@TEXANTOMCAT, I have to agree, this is a really nice kit. I spent much of my youth building £5 Airfix kits and this is nothing like those! (except they were all quite good fun, and about the same size...)

I keep pinching myself when I realise that it is half the price of the Arma kit which I already thought of as good value.

Also as an aside, having seen where you are from, my absolute favorite model shop is on Wellingborough Road, my first train set came from there.

This update is probably not worth posting (especially as my photography is pants) but I have both airframes complete.

50598815997_5f98d5d6e3_k.jpg20201113_221524_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

I will hopefully get them ready for painting over the weekend so need to pick schemes tomorrow. I am feeling a black/white underside 601 scheme on one of them. I don't think it would be prototypical on the rag wing but it is my aeroplane so who cares?

I might do the Tin wing as a Catapult Aircraft Merchant Ship (CAMS) Sea Hurricane unless another scheme takes my fancy. I think these had some minor differences from the standard Mk1, although didn't have arrestor hooks etc like the proper Sea Hurricanes so wouldn't take too much effort. (If I am talking nonsense here please put me straight.)

If anyone has any knowledge of interesting Mk1 schemes please do suggest them. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, OutcastJoel said:

I am feeling a black/white underside 601 scheme on one of them. I don't think it would be prototypical on the rag wing but it is my aeroplane so who cares?

There was a comment on the 601 thread about 601's first 'tin fish',   and the B'/W undersides were standard before June 40.

21 minutes ago, OutcastJoel said:

It's I not 1, 

Define 'interesting' ?   This might give you some ideas

https://www.asisbiz.com/Hurricane.html

these are all Mk.I's, both fabric and metal.

Finnish, Romanian, Belgian, Yugoslav, some licence built in unique Yugo 3 tone uppers,  ex Yugoslav repainted by Italians, ex yugoslav in Romanian markings.  Irish.

Rhodesian Air Training Group in overall silver dope, as well as the 'admiral's barge' in polished metal and silver dope.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234950889-hurricanes-of-the-ratg/

hawker_hurricane_fighter_rhodesia_01_V67

also 

But, interesting?

For straight RAF

metal wing 73 Sq in France, circa April 40

D, J and X are early P***** series,  and can be built from the Arma kit.  Black, white, alu undersides and rudder stripes

Hawker-Hurricane-I-RAF-73Sqn-D-P2569-J-P

That leaves you a Rotol prop,  and you could do one of the rare P**** or V**** built with fabric wings and a Rotol prop,  there is even a 601 example, P3886

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235005804-hurricane-p3886-uniqe-fabric-wing/

large.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.593056650705079.1073741855.386907504653329&type=3

"Hawker Hurricane : AE977 - has recently been repainted to represent P3886 : UF-K of 601 Squadron which was flown by American volunteers Billy Fiske & double ace Carl R Davis. It will fly in this scheme as part of the 'Eagle Squadron' commemorating the U.S.airmen who flew from the U.K. during WW2"

44 minutes ago, OutcastJoel said:

I might do the Tin wing as a Catapult Aircraft Merchant Ship (CAMS) Sea Hurricane unless another scheme takes my fancy. I think these had some minor differences from the standard Mk1, although didn't have arrestor hooks etc like the proper Sea Hurricanes so wouldn't take too much effort.

they had added catapult spools, that's the only addition.

Less exciting, training command had loads, two of the oldest survivors , L1592, in the Science Musuem, and P2617, in Hendon are ex training command.

desert with aluminium leading edges and mottle..

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234922498-hurricane-spaghetti-scheme-i-said-it-was-blue/

DK decals do this sheet for Mk.I's

The colours on 1 I'd disagree with,  can't recall photos for 5 and 6,  but the rest are I can. LU-J is a CAM Hurricane.

Hurricane%20I%201_48%20ZS.jpg

Questions? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, OutcastJoel said:

@TEXANTOMCAT, I have to agree, this is a really nice kit. I spent much of my youth building £5 Airfix kits and this is nothing like those! (except they were all quite good fun, and about the same size...)

I keep pinching myself when I realise that it is half the price of the Arma kit which I already thought of as good value.

Also as an aside, having seen where you are from, my absolute favorite model shop is on Wellingborough Road, my first train set came from there.

This update is probably not worth posting (especially as my photography is pants) but I have both airframes complete.

50598815997_5f98d5d6e3_k.jpg20201113_221524_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

I will hopefully get them ready for painting over the weekend so need to pick schemes tomorrow. I am feeling a black/white underside 601 scheme on one of them. I don't think it would be prototypical on the rag wing but it is my aeroplane so who cares?

I might do the Tin wing as a Catapult Aircraft Merchant Ship (CAMS) Sea Hurricane unless another scheme takes my fancy. I think these had some minor differences from the standard Mk1, although didn't have arrestor hooks etc like the proper Sea Hurricanes so wouldn't take too much effort. (If I am talking nonsense here please put me straight.)

Splendid stuff sir! I’m still a regular there... are you going to add wingtip nav lights with clear sprue? I did on mine- dead easy even for a cack-handed modeller like me and makes a big difference....

keep up the good work!

TT

• Like 2

@Troy Smith and @dogsbody thank you for those suggestions. I am really drawn to doing the Arma kit as a 73 sqn machine and the Airfix as P3886 with Black/White undersides, this would give me both of the standard camouflage patterns.

With all of the other suggestions I can feel a bit of a Hurricane Mk.I (I should have worked that bit out from the Mk.II) addiction coming on. 

I love some of the Yugoslavian/ex Yugoslav schemes and something in Soviet service appeals too. 

I will leave the CAMS variant for now as I would really like to do it on a catapult and do it well, both of which are a bit beyond me at the moment. 

@TEXANTOMCAT, unfortunately I now live up near Nottingham so only get back infrequently. There was a cracking model shop in Nottingham but that closed last year. 

I will take your suggestion and use clear sprue to make nav lights, it would be too much of an improvement to pass up on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OutcastJoel said:

I am really drawn to doing the Arma kit as a 73 sqn machine and the Airfix as P3886 with Black/White undersides, this would give me both of the standard camouflage patterns.

P3886  is SKY undersides.    Too late for the B/W.

If you have not read it, see here

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

and even if you have, it's well worth a re-read.  A lot of changes in a short space of time. 

I mentioned it as it it's only this summer that a serial list of mid production Mk.I's built with fabric wings became available on here (or anywhere that didn't involved going to an archive, thanks to @Geoffrey Sinclair for this)

With the serial list,  there are a few photos with positive IDs.   To use the Airfix fabric kit,  you need a blunt ES/6 Rotol prop,  in the Arma kit, and also possible to use the one in a Spitfire Mk.II

To be accurate you need a new windscreen,  and to scribe in a extra panel,  the rectangular one on the starboard side of the Arma kit for ease of reference.  L**** and N**** serial planes do not have this.

The Airfix fabric wing, OOB, is closest to an early L**** build, with the windscreen with a curved lower edge.   The Airfix canopy is too high anyway,  you could use the Arma replacement canopy set for this.

Anyway, it basically means you can do more  BoB Hurricanes from the Airfix kit,  as documented schemes for early fabric wing Hurricanes in the battle are rare. 

If you want a 601 sq with B/W underside,  

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235031775-no-601-squadron-hurricanes-mki-with-flying-sword-on-the-lower-engine-cowling/

eg UF-A , the one with MAX on the wing, 

27760878569_bf55113507_z.jpg

AFAIK, this is a N**** serial.    It's debated in the thread linked, but I can't see any trace of that hatch on this shot, which would be where the W/T stencil is

1940-04-p1-05.jpg?w=900

I love some of the Yugoslavian/ex Yugoslav schemes

There are Yugoslav, until 1941,  British built are in RAF colours, Yugoslav built are 3 tone uppers.

While a few years old, I don't know if much more has come to light.   (I'm awaiting a copy of Hawker, the Yugoslav Story, which is the latest book on this)

and something in Soviet service appeals too. 

The VVS only had Mk.II's, but they got nearly 3000 in total.   I can supply links and info, but it's a subject still being researched,  as more Russian photos keep appearing online, which is fascinating. 

Though nearly all the VVS photos show IIa and IIb variants, the few IIc photos don't show markings clearly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is perfect, thank you very much for sharing all of this @Troy Smith.

I must admit I am not at all good at this sort of thing so really appreciate the help.

The scheme I was hoping to do on the rag wing were the ones shown in that colour film. I had it in my head that they were metal winged so am pleased to find out I was wrong.

Is the spinner on UF-A a DH model? Comparing the photo above to the Airfix kit, they look very similar to me but I am doubting myself on this.

For an aircraft in the N**** series would a windscreen with the curved bottom be correct?

20 minutes ago, OutcastJoel said:

The scheme I was hoping to do on the rag wing were the ones shown in that colour film. I had it in my head that they were metal winged so am pleased to find out I was wrong.

Sorry, not clear. The ones on the colour film are metal wing.   Note landing light position.   You can do that from the Arma kit if you use the nDH spinner in the kit, for  full detail, add some 5 spoke wheels (tip - you can use eduard Spitfire 5 spoke hubs,  just drill out the 4 spoke) and eliminate the side hatch, but that is tricky to do and not make a mess.

28 minutes ago, OutcastJoel said:

Is the spinner on UF-A a DH model?

UF-A has a DH Hurricane unit.  This is bothe the Aram and the Airfix kit,  the Airfix I think is little too long/pointy, but it's minor.

the first DH unit fitted on Hurricanes is the DH unit also fitted to the Spitfire Mk.I,  and as the Spitfire has a bigger nose ring, it's a but too big, BUT, it also seems the early Hurricanes built with 2 blade tend get this replaced with the actual Hurricane DH unit which fits the nose ring, so is smaller and pointier.

There are photos and detail here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

28 minutes ago, OutcastJoel said:

Comparing the photo above to the Airfix kit, they look very similar to me but I am doubting myself on this.

For an aircraft in the N**** series would a windscreen with the curved bottom be correct?

No.  Curved windscreen is only on reasonable early Hurricanes,   

The L**** batch was  L1547 - L2146,  600 Aircraft

OK, this I trust ( I talk to tango98 about Hurricanes on the phone on occasion)

On 20/12/2012 at 17:54, tango98 said:

IIRC, L1823 was the last Mk 1 to be fitted with the two bladed Watts propellor, an advanced pair of metal skinned wings (manufactured by Gloster) were fitted retroactively to L1877 in April 1939 while the first Brooklands built Mk 1 to be fitted with metal skinned wings on the production line was L2027.

makes the last 120 built with metal.

quick pic hunt.

L1937 has curved, and is fabric winged

L2047 (501st has straight windscreen and is metal winged

I have not seen a N**** with a curved windscreen.

The early Hurricanes, as you can see, cause confusion.  it's a few details that trip up the modeller who likes to get these things right.  

I mentioned the 601 UF-K/P3886 as an interesting oddity,   there are 50 mid production Mk.I's with fabric wings,  but otherwise standard mid Mk.I,  rectangular hatch, 4 spoke wheels, Rotol ES/6 prop,  but fabric wings.   

In the linked thread on P3886, there are the few photos which are identfied as being this combination.   As far as i was concerned it was/is a pretty big deal.  

So far I have not seen a model of one of these, and it was a suggestion.   

3 minutes ago, OutcastJoel said:

My Grandad was ground crew on 601 sqn so now I know I can make a reasonable accurate model of one of their machines I am sold.

There are quite a few you can do.    You just need to pin down the details, and what kit has what.   

Finally, easiest, if this is confusing,  pick a scheme, ask what the details,  as I have told what detail apply to what AFAIK,  but what maybe obvious to me may not be to you? 

HTH

• Like 1