Zvezda 1/72 Su-30SM Flanker-C

Ray B.

It's my first GB! And hopefully completed model number four.

After finishing my aggressor F-16 in a similar scheme, it's time for a dark Flanker.

rDLuqGt.png

YHKi9zq.png

Going for the one on the box, the bottom marking. Since I couldn't choose between the blue/gray and the eggplant, here's the best of both worlds. As this is an interceptor GB, I'll forego the Kh-31s and cram it as full of R-73s, R-77s, and R-27s as it'll hold.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Ray B. said:

It's my first GB! And hopefully completed model number four.

After finishing my aggressor F-16 in a similar scheme, it's time for a dark Flanker.

rDLuqGt.png

YHKi9zq.png

Going for the one on the box, the bottom marking. Since I couldn't choose between the blue/gray and the eggplant, here's the best of both worlds. As this is an interceptor GB, I'll forego the Kh-31s and cram it as full of R-73s, R-77s, and R-27s as it'll hold.

I bought this myself a few weeks ago, to be quickly followed by the MiG-29SMT and Yak-130. It doesn't have quite the 384 parts claimed on the box, but it's close enough: c. 365 (!!!!). It looks like you'll have a lot of building to do!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, klr said:

I bought this myself a few weeks ago, to be quickly followed by the MiG-29SMT and Yak-130. It doesn't have quite the 384 parts claimed on the box, but it's close enough: c. 365 (!!!!). It looks like you'll have a lot of building to do!

I also have their MiG-29SMT kit, along with a 9-13 and their Su-33. I just need the ambition to follow through on them. I'm eager to see what you do with yours.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ray B. said:

I'm being good and waiting until Saturday to start this in earnest, so... in the mean time, here's the side project, which I guess would also qualify for this GB.

So long as you stay within the 25% rule either or indeed both will be fine here on Saturday ;) 

10 hours ago, Ray B. said:

I also have their MiG-29SMT kit, along with a 9-13 and their Su-33. I just need the ambition to follow through on them. I'm eager to see what you do with yours.

For the time being, they stay in the stash. They look to be magnificent kits, but I have enough on my plate for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ray B. said:

YHKi9zq.png

Almost always passed two-seater fighters if there is a single-seat version (I made an exception for the F-101B and Me-262B, maybe for something else) but looking at this option with eggplant camouflage from above and air superiority from below, I wondered if I should buy this  model, especially since we seem to have had fresh supplies recently.  

20201002-140208.jpg

So I'll take a look behind this build.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2

Good choice for a Flanker build. I have started to build several Flankers (all are available as WIP here in this forum) since last year but none of them is 100% complete. The closest one to RFI is my whatif Flankerstein which I used as my avatar 🙂

The current difficulty on my ongoing 3 Flanker projects is to decide which weapons to be loaded for each one...

Serkan

• Like 2

Starting on this as soon as work wraps up for the day.

There are many parts in the box.

8H1NhDd.png

And it is a big boy, for 1/72.

pDyuTIq.png

Been itching to build a Flanker for a while now. This one gets to be the guinea pig. I want to get better with painting before I get around to the nice -33 and -35S kits.

• Like 2

The surface details on this are just lovely.

L8yrMmy.png

bzhpMlD.png

The ejection seats are assembled and primed. The cockpit tub is primed, as are the instrument panels. Small mishap when attaching the throttles, as one of them launched off the end of the tweezers into god-knows-where. This was looking like it was going to end up being a rare single-throttle variant, but some inspiration struck. I had picked up some 1mm x 0.8mm styrene sheet in order to make replacement actuator arms for the exhaust nozzles for the F-15 I'm building on the side, and I figured I could hack up a replacement from that.

QGpYWAG.png

A little primer and that'll do. It's a closed-canopy build anyways.

Once the primer cures, I'll go over the tub and inside of the fuselage with some Tamiya XF-80 Royal Light Grey, then get decals on the panels. Then it'll be brush painting the throttles black again, painting the belts and harness two shades of gray, and getting everything all installed in the upper fuselage.

• Like 3

Tamiya XF-80 Royal Light Grey for the cockpit.

3laoQM0.png

Seats and sticks.

4Lny0E9.png

Badger Stynylrez primer is good enough for flat black things. The pictures I found of the seats showed a black leather seating surface so I brushed on a few layers of Tamiya X-18 Semi-Gloss Black. The belts are XF-80 Royal Light Grey and the padding is XF-53 Neutral Grey. The handles are Vallejo Model Color Red, and it's very hard to see, but there are a couple of drops of Vallejo Metal Color Silver for the harness buckles at the bottom.

Waiting on paint to dry so I can apply instrument panel decals and get this cockpit assembly wrapped up.

Edited by Ray B.
  • Like 4

Taking a moment to do armament.

Well... many moments.

Assembled and mounted on toothpicks for painting.

RXa7shF.png

Primed with black Stynylrez.

HIh1ZPW.png

Masked the first R-27 after painting the fins with Vallejo Metal Color Steel.

Co5do4U.png

Then sprayed with Tamiya X-2 Gloss White.

PbAzXKw.png

I was not expecting it to take so long to paint one of these, but masking the fins for the white edge isn't really a party. Three to go. The R-77s and R-73s will go much more quickly.

• Like 6

Always good to get the fiddly bits out of the way early on. Each missile may take some work but will great as part of the overall model.

• Thanks 1

I lost a friend of mine over the holiday weekend and the urge to do anything pretty much vanished.

Today was trying to move on. Decaling the missiles, and it's pretty big source of stress. I think it's probably the last time I try and put on all the weapon decals.

XQGmmM8.png

The R-73s on the right are done. I lost two of the double-stripe decals to them folding inwards on each other, so this is getting two instead, plus the wingtip EW pods. The bottom R-27 is done, and the rest will follow suit tomorrow. The R-77s need gray nose cones, and less decals than the rest - they're supposed to have two double-stripes each, but the decal sheet did not come with enough for all six that need them.

The decal sheet is huge and packed to the point that it's often hard to tell which decal the numbers are referring to. The tiny decaling instructions in the manual don't help. If I have any complaints on the kit so far, it's that Zvezda's instructions regarding decals and painting leave an awful lot to be desired.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Done with the missiles.

cEX9TWj.png

Eight should be enough to cause trouble. Would've been 10 if I hadn't ruined a couple stripe decals for the R-73s. The EW pods will have to suffice.

Next up will be:

• Painting the coaming and attaching the cockpit
  • Landing gear bays (nose and mains)
  • Joining the fuselage halves
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1