Type 38 Schnellboot build

Steve D

12 hours ago, Courageous said:

Can't get over how narrow these vessels were.

I know Stuart, they had literally no deck space, shows they were only really designed as short duration raiders, not intended to stay as sea for any length of time

Steve

• Like 1

More progress today, far less went wrong.  I managed to fix the screens in the way of the gangway with 5 amp fuse wire, I've had that in the drawer for 20+ years, first time I've found a use for it, you never know as they say.  I also made a some folded canvas (torpedoes, gun etc) are often shown covered with canvas, it had to be stowed somewhere, the hiding places are there for people to discover.  Also finished the ladder and gangplank which are stowed behind the gun platform against the stanchions, and started rolling coils of rope, there will be more of that once its finished.  Generally, it's getting suitably cluttered as the real vessels were.

Warning, weathering coming....  It's interesting, looking at pictures, some are clearly staged and I'm guessing the boats were cleaned up specially.  Some were not and they show quite dirty boats, not helped by the fact they were painted white!

So, my model is dirty, no apologies.  However, the torpedo and the mines are clean, they would have been loaded for the voyage and so not had a chance to get much dirt on them.  Also, bear in mind that the decks were covered in canvas, hard to swab that, its going to get dirty, just as the waterline will be impacted by sitting in a bunker with oily water sloshing around.  There was a war on.....

DSCN2155

Shocking right?  I've tried to grade the dirt on the canvas screens so it rests more at the bottom, please forgive my clumsiness, this is not a core skill of mine, I still have an immense amount to learn when I see some of the other threads of people who actually know what they are doing when it comes to painting and weathering

Port side, perhaps a little better, lighting is weird in this shot...

DSCN2158

Detail for Arjan, remounted dinghy with correct tie-downs

DSCN2160

The rear with the gun platform, the start of the rope coils, the gangway stowage and two smoke buoys

DSCN2157

Looking towards the bridge, all platforms done.  I'm actually quite pleased with the timber paint effect on those two platforms which I printed in the end.  All the other timber is actual wood so making those platforms match is not something I've much (actually any) practice in.  Note the checker plate steps, cut from an etched sheet I bought years ago, its O gauge running plate, works a treat

DSCN2156

So, the mounting pillars need turning, the single (for scale) crewman needs painting and some more rope trivia adding, tomorrow sees it in the house and waiting for the oak base in 10 days time.  

One more post to come and then it will re-appear in RFI

Cheers

Steve

• Like 14

Looking very realistic Steve. I think you have the weathering just right. I like the rope  coil. I'm going to miss your progress posts. I'm still deciding if I will RC mine. My hobby budget too a hit yesterday which may effect it. I bought the Scharnhorst 1/200 kit. I was on the edge at a $600 cost, but in the end it cost close to $1000. This has slowed the 

S-38 project for a few weeks. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Arjan said:

you seem to have incorporated almost every imaginable detail

The detail's not quite finished, but thanks again for your help and additional photographs.  Without them, I would really have struggled to know how to make most items

Cheers

Steve 

Last post on this thread, I think I'm done bar the base, waiting on the oak plank to complete that.

DSCN2161

Since yesterday, the scale figure has been added (shapeways), the aerials are in, more rope coils and more work on the waterline weathering.  Here's the lookout, note the ships bell by the aerial, I couldn't stand the thought of painting it, so its left natural brass

DSCN2163

Focus on the stern, showing the ladder stowed against the railings

DSCN2164

And off into the sunset, I'll be back with a RFI post in a couple of weeks

DSCN2162

I think that was less than 3 months start to finish, what time pressure will do when combined with lockdown and retirement.  Thanks to all who followed, commented and liked what I was doing.  That's the last build from me for 6 months at least as we are moving next month and have a house project to work on before I can build my new workshop.

Stay safe

Steve

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Dear Steve,

That is incredible, I have followed this avidly, quite apart from the quality of your work, the speed at which you managed to punch this out is seriously awesome, (I hate that word but it is singularly appropriate for this), lovely result, simply stunning !

Cheers

David 

Thoroughly enjoyed watching this build Steve, it’s coincided almost exactly with me being off sick from work and has definitely helped keep me entertained.

Great result too, just fab.

Edited by Rob998
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve D said:

That's the last build from me for 6 months at least

Well you know where we are when you get sorted Steve will be quiet around here without a build from you to follow and learn from.

Stay Safe and good luck with the move fingers crossed not to many breakages.  👍

beefy

• Thanks 1

Well Steve it has been a great ride. I hope you will look in on my build once I start posting images. The decks get hair sprayed today. 

Good luck with the move and any renovation work. I’ve done plenty of that in my time.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hi Steve - I've just finished following your build here (always late to the party) after discovering your Fairmile B build, both great builds. Amazing Metal Skills and astounding results in the short time you had available - learnt a lot thank you for sharing. Good luck with your move-sounds like a great opportunity for a scratch build Workshop. Stay safe - Cheers Pete

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Good luck with your move-sounds like a great opportunity for a scratch build Workshop.

Thanks Pete, it did come together quite quickly in the end.  The workshop is 90% complete, other tasks in the house have delayed its completion but I will be back on it next week, then I'll share 

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1