Type 38 Schnellboot build

Steve D

Etchings finally arrive today :elephant: I can get back to the build sequence in my head

DSCN2087

As ever, let's start with the biggest item, the Bofors platform

First fold lines on centre section done and the insert upstands soldered in place

DSCN2089

I'd previously turned the gun mount, this is how it fits in on its leg frames.  The upstand clears the mount with only about 5 thou to spare, why do I make stuff so close??

DSCN2090

Some time later, the wings are fitted with the tubes that will hold the stanchions installed, its adjusted, cleaned up and ready to dry fit.

DSCN2092

This has cross timbers and then the planking to add

Dry fit with the gun mount enriched with bolt rings that no-one will ever see and the kitchen chimney temporarily in place 

DSCN2091

And here's a teaser for Arjan, the beginning of the Bofors, note the recoil spring detail

DSCN2088

Tomorrow, the guns....

Steve

• Like 13

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

Oh all that new etching looks nice and shinny  Yes my precious  :tasty:

Really some pace to this build Steve  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

he's right you know :lol:

Lovely original work B)

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great build Steve. Some impressive skills on display here. The Sboots are one of my interests.  I scratch built a 1/48 S10  back in the mid nineties. I'm impressed with your hull shape. I bought the Italeri 1/35 one when it came out, but was disappointed with the bow shape. It looked too blunt to me. In the end I sold it on.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Greg Law said:

I'm impressed with your hull shape.

Thanks Greg, I agree, the hull looks simple but it is a very subtle shape and the bow is actually a nightmare.  Being so nearly straight accentuates any flaw, there is no where to hide..  I've found it a real challenge, in a good way of course.  Thank you for your nice comments, more build to come

Cheers

Steve

The problem with the way I build these models is everything is a prototype.  Some work, some don't, some need a lot of help.  With the printing, its now easy to adjust the model and re-print.  The etching is different, each A5 sheet is nearly £100 and so the decision to re-do is a major one. 

The 20mm flak today fell into the "needs a lot of help" category.  First, the two support sides wouldn't solder, just no way to hold them in place, bad idea.  Then I added a reinforcing piece and the frame wouldn't sit down nicely in the tub.  Much filing later, I'm almost happy with it but I've got no way to re-do it so its a keeper.  The shoulder braces had a mind of their own, I simply could not get that weird cylinder exactly the right length, no tolerance with a 0.5 mm hole, etc etc.  Just one of those days really

Anyway, its in and staying 

DSCN2095

DSCN2096

At least the hatches worked fine, forward view below with the two hatches in primer

DSCN2099

I'm sure it will look better once painted

Then on to the Bofors, these are the parts, plus some rod and tube

DSCN2097

And here is the 4 cm gun with the breech sides and elevating quadrant soldered on (teeth not filed in this shot, I've done that now and the barrel is not fixed yet so the recoil slots are not in the right place in this shot).  Hole is for the trunnion 

DSCN2098

I'm more hopeful for this one, on to the mount tomorrow

Steve

• Like 16

9 hours ago, Steve D said:

The challenge Stuart is finding shells that fit :rofl:

The smallest functional ammo I can think of was 2mm pin fire, so the answer is to upgrade the main armament to a slightly overscale 88mm flak...

Edited by Rob998
  • Haha 2

Some part so this build are a challenge I enjoy, making the guns is one of those, at least now they are both complete.

Over 100 separate brass parts later, the 40 mm Bofors is ready to prime

DSCN2103

DSCN2104

I'm really pleased to have that bit done in a way I'm happy with, it makes or breaks the model  :phew:

Ammo cartridge will be printed btw, there are limits.....

Steve

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Time well spent

Thanks Kev, its a key component so it had to be right, the etching design worked OK, but I must admit, I'm glad there is only one. 

Actually looking forward to seeing it painted and weathered so I can highlight some of the detail you can't see clearly in brass.

Getting there

Steve

• Like 2

That bofors gun looks absolutely awesome. I assume you soldered most of it? Or used two part epoxy?

BTW - I bought a smallish sheet of copper at my local hobby shop on Sunday and a ‘ball & pein’ hammer at the hardware store. Not sure what exactly I’m going to hammer out of it but I’ve got a couple of future projects that might feature some copper bashing. 🚓👮‍♀️

‘You’ll never take me alive copper!’ 🦹‍♂️

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

I assume you soldered most of it?

Some silver solder, most solder paste, last few bits cyno.  There comes a point where more adding pieces with solder paste is too hard to control unsoldering other pieces in the process.  The tube to tube T joints are all hard soldered, soft solder is just not strong enough.  Really, initial sub-assemblies are silver soldered, then soft soldered together.  Occasionally, I use solder wire when I need the joint to have strength, its all a matter of practice and multiple errors...

2 part epoxy is too messy (at least the way I use it)...

If you have a pin hammer, you need to buy a doming block, let the fun begin...

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4