Type 38 Schnellboot build

Steve D

I've been neglecting my homework lately be the extent of the catch up I've just had, that is looking truly exception Steve, the torpedo doors really jump out at one. Hoping I will be able to use some of the knowledge gained in this on a couple of 1/72 kits in time to come. You did work out the the WEM part of WEM-Atztelle is probably the etch supplier, White Ensign Models or their successor? :unsure:

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Really great work Steve ! One remark, though,  regarding the locking handles on the hatch. As I see it the handles should be pointing in the same direction on both sides of the hatch (just like any ordinary door handle).

CXEGnM4.jpg

gCkjvg1.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my seemingly (well OK, actually) random approach to this build, I tackled a number of separate projects today.  I've been drawing the remaining skylights and the two short forward vents, so printed them and cleaned them up.  Meanwhile, I sorted out the first (port) torpedo tube bulkhead, open bridge floor etching resting in place

DSCN2036

Short length of tubing inserted to keep it in place temporarily while I check the fit, seems OK.  I'm still working up to that length of plated siding that curves into the breakwater and supports the nav light box.  None of that bit is straightforward, so while continuing to consider it, I moved on to finishing the two forward long engine room vents and installed ladders in the two forward open hatches, note the layout drawing cut out above to help me lay things out correctly

DSCN2039

The aluminium plate is the skylight platform, flat on a curved surface.  Note also the forward two timber supports for the transverse walkway.  The drawing I have has a mast (short stubby thing), that is braced back to those two eyelets at the rear of those long vents.  Most of the pictures don't show vessels with these stubby masts, anyone know the story here?  Where they always removed, or only shipped for transit voyages or what?  The drawing shows a small tabernacle mounted to the rear of the bridge assembly that looks like it allows the mast to be hinged back down to the deck, but the pictures I have of the rear of the bridge house don't show that fitting.  All suggestions gratefully received

I'd previously printed out the tall intake vents that sit either side of the deckhouse, so once the short vents were cleaned up and cured, I fitted them together to check the fit.  This shot shows that 

DSCN2041

At this stage, this is all about getting the fit right and making sure the different components work., better view of the torpedo tube bulkhead here.  That whole area at the rear of the deckhouse is full of more stuff, lockers, two platforms etc.  Plenty more to fit in

Lastly, my simple frame for spraying the linen handkerchiefs that I will use to cover the deck to simulate the canvas finish.  Once the spray varnish is dry, I can cut this into strips to use without it fraying.  These are the finest linen I could find, £12 for 6, though the wavy edge un-necessary ...

DSCN2037

Steve

• Like 12

Steve - I turn my back for a second !!!!!!!   Your rate of work is really amazing and the detail going into this somehow seems to surpasss that on the Old goose!!

Absolutley splendid stuff :coolio:

Rob

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

I turn my back for a second

Thanks Rob, I'll let you into a secret if you promise not to tell anyone.  We're moving in the next couple of months and with that move, I'll lose the workshop until I can make another... 

So, I have a deadline with this project, the pressure is on....

:worry:

• Like 2

Reasonably pleased with todays progress on the deckhouse.  Fitted all the window frames and made the forward bulkhead to the open bridge.  Starting to believe that I can make this and it will look reasonable.  Those charthouse windows are a total nightmare, I think they are straight, but I certainly know its the best I can do with this awkward shape. 

These are all frames only at this stage, there are inner glazing frames that fit in these holes so the final look will be more built up and the window area smaller.  I'm left considering how to cut the viewing slots in the curved breakwater so I can fit those frames, the only ones remaining.  The sliding door to the wheel house is temporarily stuck in place, it also has a glazing frame to fit in later.  There are two more panels in the dash that I forgot to etch, will make them in copper tomorrow and at the same time add the speaking tubes, it really helps that the bulkhead is removable until all these bits are sorted

The windshield assembly was etched and does fit, :phew: that will go on last..

DSCN2042

That near window from the bridge to the wheelhouse has a smaller frame as it doesn't look like it opens, so I've left off the outer frame, it will be glued in place much later

DSCN2043

The centre window was top hinged and open for steering, I can probably do that too.  It is shorter that the outer windows, that's not a  mistake....  The wood on the forecastle is the framing box for two forward hatches, gun tube lid sitting roughly in place.  I'm going to canvas the foredeck tomorrow, interesting to see how that comes out

Starting to look the part (rear bulkhead made but not installed in that picture)

DSCN2044

Steve

• Like 9

It  may not look much, but this side panel took all morning to get right.  I was concerned about how this would go, the shape is hard as it curves in to the centre and supports the nav light box..  The inside framing was on the etching sheet, but stupidly hard to bend right.  Anyway, enough moaning, the first is always the hardest and it allowed me to finish the forward bulkhead and fix it in-place.  This panel needs to be fixed for the sheerline moulding to be installed as that covers the join and tidies it all up.  The small gap to the front will be filled.  Nearest bulkhead not fixed yet as it needs adjusting to the panel, tomorrow if I have time.  The charthouse will be re movable until very late (after paining) to provide access to the torpedo tubes

DSCN2045

View from the front, the window frame is part of the nav box etching

DSCN2047

And lastly, as you can see, I glued the canvas anti-slip covering to the foredeck.  I did it in two runs with a covering tape on the joint (100 mm full scale) as I dubt they wouod but the edges at it couold work and catch, tape seemed right.  It is very obvious here but of course, once painted, this will all blend in and the faint texture is all that should remain

DSCN2046

I also made the bow fairlead in brass but failed to manage the inner wheel, just too fiddly

Progress today...

Steve

• Like 9

Quick end to this sequence, second panel made and both installed

DSCN2048

Then it was all blended in with filler, sprayed and the sheer line strakes added (1mm x 1mm walnut).  While waiting for stuff to dry, I also managed to cut the two downward vision ports in the open bridge breakwater and soldered the inner frames in place.  The outer frames are the glazed side and are added much later after painting.  This is quite a big milestone as it allows me to mark in the water-line and switch primer to white above the waterline.  There's a little more detail fine surface filling to do, but marks the end of the beginning of the hull

DSCN2049

I thought this was a simple vessel to scratch build, it's not :doh:

I just love this video ( Boston Dynamics ) and thought it might raise a cheer as we see this horrible year out. 

Wishing everyone Happy New Year and a better 2021, bring on that vaccine...

Steve 

• Like 9

Another day, another post.  Probably too many and I'm in danger of it getting boring, still I've had a few clear days to get to grips wkith some of the tough bits.

Back to the charthouse/bridge thing again today.  Work on detailing the bridge forward bulkhead and fitting the windscreen, getting close to primer now and the end of soldering and onto glue instead

DSCN2051

My plan for the speaking tubes is 0.8 mm soft brass wire bound in thread, test piece resting in there in that shot.  I also added the front rivet straps where the wheelhouse meets the foredeck, took far longer than it should.  Some simple jobs seem to take for ever while complex ones just happen, funny..

Better view below, also added the mushroom vents (printed)

DSCN2053

And below with the port door resting in place.  That's a complex assembly and no mistake

DSCN2054

Rear deck with the rivet straps and two inspection hatches installed

DSCN2050

I've reprinted the other hatches and I'm still not happy with how they have come out so I'm going to add then to the second etch sheet, should be plenty of space and I like the crisp finish the etched brass achieves

Waterline tomorrow

Steve

• Like 8

Waterline in place, looking shocking in white primer

DSCN2055

There's nothing like white primer for showing blemishes, some more work needed in a few areas.  This hull is so clean, there is nowhere to hide

Deck layout with paper template for the gun platform (this framework will be etched), drawing well underway for the second etch sheet to include the guns and some other bits

DSCN2056

Everything just resting in place at this stage as I work my way through the components and fit

I'm quite pleased the way the mines have come out, will focus a post on them later, obviously the rails are not made yet, some mooring damage by the looks of it to starboard stern rubbing strip in this picture....

DSCN2057

Steve

• Like 11

Advice needed on colour scheme  :please:

My plan was to paint the boat per this colour illustration (can't remember where I took it from, think it came with the stuff I bought from Germany)

colour artwork

This clearly shows a narrow black boot topping, as do the other drawings I'm working to, is this correct?  My red primer currently includes this line so easy to add the black. 

Also shown here is that everything is light grey apart from the actual deck (for instance the butt strap square at the stern is light grey, which seems weirdly fussy to me).  While the torpedo tube tops are dark grey in plan but light grey in elevation, I'm sure the plan is wrong here, pictures show them light grey.  Also, timber is natural apart from the gun platform also somewhat odd.  I've read that the wood was painted grey which is more logical and so the natural wood in this picture may just be artistic license

Any clarifications most welcome

Thanks

Steve

• Like 2

The illustration is from the Italeri kit and should depict S-105's colour scheme. No doubt the dark grey boot topping is correct. There are quite a few period pics of S-105 since they had a Propaganda Kompanie Kriegsberichter (war reporter) on board several times but the pics I know are of little use for determining which colours should be used. According to Harald Fock S-105 didn't even have a 4cm gun by 24.9.43 so I don't even know if Italeri's illustration which includes the Bofors and mentions "English Channel 1943" is correct. My advice is to choose the colours you think are appropriate and forget about the Italeri guide lines.  S-105's interesting service history even mentions a deck painted in luminous yellow for operation Cerberus :

09.02.1942Vorbereitung der Boote (S 53, S 62, S 70, S 104, S 105, S 111) für Unternehmen „Cerberus“: Anstrich Oberdeck vom Heck bis Abt. II und vom Bug bis Vorkante Brücke leuchtend gelb,

https://www.historisches-marinearchiv.de/projekte/s_boote/lebenslauf_boot.php?where_value=98

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Thanks 1

The Propaganda film I mentioned before (Asse zur See) shows S-105 and it would seem the tops of the torp tubes were dark grey :

nMG9mrs.png

According to the boat's service history PK photos/films were made in April and November of 1942 . Asse zur See contains one frame showing a Bofors gun, no way of telling if this is S-105 :

qGDdDGp.png

The fact remains that Harald Fock doesn't mention a Bofors gun on S-105.

edit: In the mean time I have received confirmation from the German S-Boot experts I consulted that Italeri made a mistake and that S-105 never had a Bofors gun ........ The boat with the Bofors gun in the film is S-46.

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Arjan, colours and equipment are always a minefield unless you are lucky enough to have multiple good quality photographs that are dated, who knows whether the model is exactly right or not.  The answer is just to provide a strong impression of the type of craft as good as can be judged and avoid obvious mistakes.  Reading Table 12 in Fock's book, none of the S-38 types listed have 40mm guns, only the Type-38b's (S-100 etc), even S-46 is shown with 2- 20mm so who can tell now.  I really like the 40 mm Bofors and as I've completed the artwork, I'm going with it. 

This is the GA I'm basing the model on (you have to base it on something and this was the clearest drawing I could obtain), showing a 40 mm Bofors (though  with differences to the 40 mm Bofors drawing I have, aaahhhh..:rage:.).  This drawing has S-81-83 and S-98-99 in the header, I assume these were outfitted per that drawing,  Fock has a note for those boats showing 1 -40 mm and 1 20 mm, though with the kalotte.  As you have pointed out, the Italeri kit contains mistakes and that was a commercial endeavour, one would think they took care to be correct.....

Type 38 small

I agree, most of the type-38's seem to have grey tops to the torpedo tubes so that's sold.  In the shot of the type 38's leaving the (Cherbourg?) bunker they seem to have a motif below the bridge which I can't recognise and doesn't appear in "German S-boat in Action" Appendix II on insignia, do you know anything about this by any chance?

It's a while since I watched that youtube video, but thanks for reminding me of it, At 1 min 18 seconds, it clearly shows the flap to the chart room from the bridge as top hinged with rounded bottom corners.  I was just about to draw that, so now I have something more than conjecture for that tiny part.  Just one of dozens of tiny details full of assumptions and guesswork

Cheers

Steve  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steve D said:

even S-46 is shown with 2- 20mm so who can tell now

Edit, I just noticed table 13 in Fock, which shows 1 - 40 mm fitted to S-44 - 46 so that looks to be consistent with your statement about the boat in the film, thanks again for taking such an interest in my little project

Steve

• Like 1

Long period of very little apparent progress.  I've spent a lot of time on the second etching sheet (hopefully the last for this model).  Many areas are in need of these etched pieces so are stalled until its done.  The etched sheet in turn is dependent on sorting out the bow flak 20mm mounting and this has now become dependent on a printed part which I'm close to sorting out.  Once again, these components interact and have to fall into a specific order while I work my way through the build.  Also, for some things I have to progress a scratch built piece in order to see what I can make and what needs etching, the instructions are no help as there are no instructions :rofl:

Still, I can't spend all day drawing, so I've made some progress in a few areas on the model, most notably the weird look-out frame that sits on top of the rear charthouse, displayed here with my example crewman from shapeways U-boat crew set.  That was an interesting challenge. (o.8 mm brass wire btw, 38 mm full size about right I think)... The wire sticking out to port is for a radio wire, one each side

DSCN2062

Here is is from the rear with the beginning of the port torpedo tube assembly.  This is a good example of what to etch and what to just make, still working my way through it, quite a lot of bit to add still, mostly just scratch made 

DSCN2061

The other thing I attempted was applying archer transfer rivets to the torpedo tube casing and side panels.  Wow, it that a frustrating job, so difficult (for me at least) to get the strips off in one piece.  Now, at this scale, I'm not going to attempt rivet line perfection, at 1:35th I would, but not at 1;48th.  The aim here is to give an impression of rivets rather than produce an exact rivet guide for the vessel.  The difference between "an impression of rivets" and no rivets at all is worth the effort to the overall look of the model, while perfection is just not worth the grief.  

Here is the foredeck in grey primer ready for its final colour, you can just see the lines of rivets on the white primer (well the ones that didn't come off with the masking tape that is, blxxdy rivets...).  Also worth noting is the foredeck canvas surface, I believe this texture is worth including but welcome any comments, it will dull down a little more with the final paint coating

DSCN2063

In the immediate foreground is the handrail ring for the bow gun in primer but in this shot I managed to miss the cool "L" shaped support that sits across the hardened area of deck between the fairlead block and the hawse pipe (not fitted yet)..

So, etching off early next week and then the final parts can come together

I might get to like this model after all, the jury has been out for the past month of so...

Steve

• Like 7

Lovely work Steve ! Regarding the Archer rivets, it's best to cut the rivet strips in shorter pieces, this makes them more manageable. I also use rather generous amounts of Micro Set decal solvent.

Regards, 

Arjan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Small milestone today, 2nd (last) etching sheet off to be made :elephant:

This sheet has the main hatches (the printed versions didn't look crisp enough), the gun platform frame, the two gun mounts, mats, flak 20 ammo, spare torpedo rack frames and torpedo props, about 130 pieces in total

2nd etching

While that's off being made, I completed the mine rails.  Before anyone tells me, I realise the "C" section should be on its narrow edge not flat, but getting the mine wheels to slot into that channel is too fussy even for me, also, mostly its covered up by the mines.  Also in this shot you can see the brass deck edging that will frame the canvas and leave a crisp edge (.45mm x 1.2mm strip, left over from some old etchings)

DSCN2064

Here are 4 mines on the rails.  These are UMB mines, printed from my own 3d artwork with little brass horns added.  In primer here, once they are properly painted, I think they will look the part.  She carried 6 mines, two more printed today

DSCN2065

Lastly, I've been struggling to understand the early bow flak 20 mount as I can't find a drawing anywhere apart from what's shown on my GA (and the plan on that one is mirror image for some reason as the ammo cartridge is on the wrong side compared to all the pictures).  What was putting me off is the later mount that I do have a drawing of sits on a centre pivot, but the early mount sits on a sort of turret ring.  So, I've drawn and printed an inner tub that provides the ring and the backrests.  The mount is actually quite simple and sits in this tub.  Picture below shows the tub in place and the start of the flak 20 itself

I have no clue how accurate this is, but once completed it will match all the information and pictures I've found so I'm happy

DSCN2066

Steve

• Like 8