C-130 Zvezda flap compatibility Attack Squadron/Brengun!!

janneman36

To all who likes to try this!!

The Zvezda C-130 hasn’t yet a dedicated flap conversion set and as had the Attack squadron one already in the stash I decided to try this ...

At first I was fondling around with the Zvezda plastic and measured the thickness of the wing and after some more measuring I thought it could work out and it did..

First the wing shape at the underside had a concave shape in the wing and at first I thought that would be correct but after some comparisons elsewhere  and some looks on the Bring it! resin aftermarket producer Facebook page I came to the conclusion that it was wrong..
The perfect Hercules has flaws😖

The inner flaps need rescribing as they are wrongly shaped..

I also think that the panel lines for the flaps are a little bland and could be more pronounced.

The flaps aren’t concave but they should be flat/straight..and there the resin flaps came in as they are pretty correctly shaped..

Nevertheless this Hercules is still to be regarded as the best rendition in my opinion as I had them all.

If you leave out the Zvezda kit my second to love Hercules is the Airfix C-130 as it has a much better overall appearance regarding the Italeri....enough kit bashing now 😆
I followed the instructions for the Italeri Hercules cutouts generally only in order to get it fitted I had to thin down the wings considerably and this is not for the faintharded!
Not only I had to thin the wings but I also did thinning on the resin as well as it some points it is quite thick.

The outboard flaps got a treatment of warm running tap water in order to push out the more concave shape, not much but I did got a better fit in doing that...

Now some pictures..

50589105813_3f9dea6c8d_o.jpg

50589110568_77e6364130_o.jpg

50589175088_9327d31f0e_o.jpg

50590039262_33fdc9d63a_o.jpg

50589174988_e1f787b68d_o.jpg

50580163763_495738b913_o.jpg

The picture above shows you the incorrect panel linesfor the flaps..

Even the panel lines for the wingroot fairing is way outboard which it shouldn’t be ...it should be nearer to the fuselage..

Fowler flaps

Fowler flaps

More reference here 

https://www.ipms.nl/walkarounds/walkaround-vliegtuigen-props/546-walkaround-c130

50589105398_67f765ca42_o.jpg

50589102673_b1fe02e064_o.jpg

50589965357_f521b4db2e_o.jpg

50589841311_b024ebaaa2_o.jpg

Cheers, Jan

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• janneman36 changed the title to C-130 Zvezda flap compatibility Attack Squadron/Brengun!!
5 hours ago, janneman36 said:

To who likes to try this!!

The Zvezda C-130 hasn’t yet a dedicated flap conversion set and as had the Attack squadron one already in the stash I decided to try this ...

At first I was fondling around with the Zvezda plastic and measured the thickness of the wing and after some more measuring I thought it could work out and it did..

First the wing shape at the underside had a concave shape in the wing and at first I thought that would be correct but after some comparisons elsewhere  and some looks on the Bring it! resin aftermarket producer Facebook page I came to the conclusion that it was wrong..
The perfect Hercules has flaws😖

The inner flaps need rescribing as they are wrongly shaped..

I also think that the panel lines for the flaps are a little bland and could be more pronounced.

The flaps aren’t concave but they should be flat/straight..and there the resin flaps came in as they are pretty correctly shaped..

Nevertheless this Hercules is still to be regarded as the best rendition in my opinion as I had them all.

If you leave out the Zvezda kit my second to love Hercules is the Airfix C-130 as it has a much better overall appearance regarding the Italeri....enough kit bashing now 😆
I followed the instructions for the Italeri Hercules cutouts generally only in order to get it fitted I had to thin down the wings considerably and this is not for the faintharded!
Not only I had to thin the wings but I also did thinning on the resin as well as it some points it is quite thick.

The outboard flaps got a treatment of warm running tap water in order to push out the more concave shape, not much but I did got a better fit in doing that...

Now some pictures..

50589105813_3f9dea6c8d_o.jpg

50589110568_77e6364130_o.jpg

50589175088_9327d31f0e_o.jpg

50590039262_33fdc9d63a_o.jpg

50589174988_e1f787b68d_o.jpg

50580163763_495738b913_o.jpg

The picture above shows you the incorrect panel linesfor the flaps..

Even the panel lines for the wingroot fairing is way inboard which it shouldn’t be ...

Fowler flaps

Fowler flaps

More reference here 

https://www.ipms.nl/walkarounds/walkaround-vliegtuigen-props/546-walkaround-c130

50589105398_67f765ca42_o.jpg

50589102673_b1fe02e064_o.jpg

50589965357_f521b4db2e_o.jpg

50589841311_b024ebaaa2_o.jpg

Cheers, Jan

Thank you so much for sharing this Jan. I will have to do the same thing, when I get mine eventually. The other two will be all closed up, so only rescribing is necessary. The flap wells look fantastic with the details of the ribs etc. :)

• Like 1

@MrB17 when I finished the job lot and fitted everything it became apparent that this was a perfect tryout as the wing fits perfectly now..

But of you go the way that I did prepare yourself for a lot scraping and sanding on the wings and do it with great care as I almost scraped off 2/3 of the original thickness 😉

Still the wing with how Zvezda chose to do the layout it still is a very sturdy construction and it retained it’s strength ....cudo’s for Zvezda about that..

cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

Nice to see, thanks for taking the sacrificial plunge Jan to see if it would work.

I figured a lot of the current AM for the the Italeri kit will fit with a little tweaking, I have a set of those flaps and the Zvezda kit coming, I'm tempted to use the flaps on that build.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice to see, thanks for taking the sacrificial plunge Jan to see if it would work.

I figured a lot of the current AM for the the Italeri kit will fit with a little tweaking, I have a set of those flaps and the Zvezda kit coming, I'm tempted to use the flaps on that build.

Well i couldn’t hold myself when I figured out that it maybe could work, it had to done to check my own ideas ...

You will be glad that have bought the Zvezda as the fit is very nice and has a lovely cockpit to be built out of the box..

Be carefull with those aftermarket thingy’s though because the fuselage shape is different!

Bring it! is going to release a new aileron and rudder set in a not too far future...
Have fun with your Hercules!

cheers, Jan

• Like 2

Interesting - thanks Jan. The idea of extending flaps on this fine kit is great. My first build is straight from the box for now, but excellent spur for later! 

Looking very carefully at the wing root and at photographs of the real thing I think you are right that the wing root fairing section lines should be maybe 2 poss 3mm closer in.  I also looked through a bunch of photos of real C-130s trying to establish the inner wing profile properly. Hard to do, since it is usually well in shadow.  

A US  AIr Force Academy study on wing prop interactions did show an inner wing profile, suggesting what looks to be a very slight rear undercamber or at the very least that the undersurface was flatter compared to the upper wing profile.  Certainly suggests that Zvezda have overdone the concave  bit, even if it should just exist.  I'd like to see some inner flap sections laid out on a hangar floor ; that ought to be definitive. 

Overall a terrific kit - the fit is super.

John B

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2020 at 4:52 PM, John B (Sc) said:

Interesting - thanks Jan. The idea of extending flaps on this fine kit is great. My first build is straight from the box for now, but excellent spur for later! 

Looking very carefully at the wing root and at photographs of the real thing I think you are right that the wing root fairing section lines should be maybe 2 poss 3mm closer in.  I also looked through a bunch of photos of real C-130s trying to establish the inner wing profile properly. Hard to do, since it is usually well in shadow.  

A US  AIr Force Academy study on wing prop interactions did show an inner wing profile, suggesting what looks to be a very slight rear undercamber or at the very least that the undersurface was flatter compared to the upper wing profile.  Certainly suggests that Zvezda have overdone the concave  bit, even if it should just exist.  I'd like to see some inner flap sections laid out on a hangar floor ; that ought to be definitive. 

Overall a terrific kit - the fit is super.

John B

Hi John  missed your post, I think you are correct about fairing panel lines and camber as well..

That study seems to confirm what I see in the pictures for those inboard flaps..

It is hard to see but it is there..

50598062626_89a0eaf833_o.jpg

here is the rest of the build ..

cheers, Jan