F-94B Starfire (Sword 1/72)

Giorgio N

There are aircraft that are undoubtedly famous ! There are aircraft that are famous because were great designs that had succesful careers. There are aircraft that are famous because played a part in historical events. There aircraft that are famous because set some kind of record, like fastest aircraft or first aircraft to do something.

Then there are aircraft that are known mainly because they are the cousin of other famous aircraft and the F-94 is maybe one of these....

The F-94 Starfire roots are in the P-80 (later F-80) Shooting Star. This was not a stellar performer but was the first real jet fighter in US service (the P-59 never really achieved proper operational status). For this reason alone, the F-8' deserves a lot of recognition

The F-80 was a decent success and served well in Korea but was not really a legend.. what became a legend was it's two-seater trainer derivative, initially known as TF-80 and later redesignated T-33. This was a huge success, with over 6,500 built, and served in dozens of air forces for many years. The last operational T-33 was retired in July 2017 !!!

Then there's the cousin.... the F-94. Developed from the T-33, it was in certain aspects an innovative aircraft, with not only a radar but also an automatic fire control system. The type also featured one of the very first afterburners (first US jet to have one in service). It was in any case a stop-gap type. hastily designed because of the failure of the Curtiss F-87 program.

So yes, it was the first USAF jet night fighter, the first US aircraft with an afterburner and yet it's not really a well known type. Production was 855 units of 3 variants and the Starfire did its job, if unspectacularly, in defending the US borders. The type also served in Korea, where scored a few victories, including the first ever jet Vs. jet kill at night. The main job of the Starfire though was trying to stop the slow Po-2 biplanes dropping small bombs during night raids and in this role the type was not really suited.

So it is that the Starfire never really became very famous, so much that for a while the only information on the type were in books on the F-80 family. This also meant a relatively small success in the modelling world, although there have been a few kits, with some quite nice. The nicest is probably the 1/48 Kitty Hawk kit of the F-94C (that I also have in the stash) while in 1/72 scale the most detailed is the relatively recent kit from Sword, that will be the subject of this thread.

The box is typical of most Czech short-run kit manufacturers, a side opening box with an aggresive sharkmouthed Starfire on its cover (the rear shows the options in the decal sheet)

resized_44b3c18e-eab3-4144-8e2f-b31b5be5

Inside the box are two sprues of grey plastic (one broke but no damage occurred to any of the parts)

resized_a9966a01-98d5-439e-a846-f4d0f414

resized_1de4dd4f-4fc1-4656-9fd4-60a43842

Several details are sorted by a nice pre-painted PE sheet while the canopy is in two parts, so that it can be posed open... and I will likely show it open.

resized_632c94c0-f1af-41f5-ae31-36d59bb1

The plastic parts are what I expect from Sword kits of the era: good scribed details and plenty of flash. Internal and external details are not as sharp as in good mainstream kits but are not bad by short-run standards (and are actually better than certain mainstream products...). All parts will likely need some preparation to achieve a good fit... and I already know that I'll need plenty of filler ! Not ideal since all options are in natural metal finish but this is the price to pay to have a detailed F-94B model in the collection. I have read a couple of build reviews of the Sword F-80/T-33/F-94 kits and all point at fit issues in the intake areas and the canopy... reason why this will likely have to be built open. I'm prepared so let's see what happens....

• Like 11

Ah, a "T-Bird" on steroids :D A worthy entrant for this GB and as you say a quite underestimated design.

With the Sword kit there is at least a quite recent tooling available in 1/72. Would be great if that was the case for the F-94A/B in 1/48 to retire the old Hobbycraft tooling (something in the quality range of the GWH T-33 would be nice).

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

I'll tag along if you don't mind, G :) 

I totally understand what you say about the Sword kits, as I've recently completed their Lightning; mine was a metallic finish too and, if I may, I'd suggest you to use sprue gloop as a filler  - I regret I didn't in my build, as some of the seam still showed up on close inspection, no matter what filler I used. I've been experimenting with it recently and it's, IMHO, the best way to have no seam line showing through "sensitive" paint. HTH

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi Giorgio,

Never built the Sword kit but 30 years ago I picked this up in the shop at the Midlands Air Museum near Coventry, alongside the site of the old Armstrong Whitworth factory at Bagington.

DSC03997-crop

It is the old Heller moulding released in 1984, and reboxed later as Heller-Humbrol. Made up pretty well and it is a nice looking plane, apparently in the markings of the 59th FIS based they say in Greenland at Thule in around 1954, though one of my sources says Goose Bay, Labrador.

Good look with your build.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

Welcome to the GB Giorgio and with an interesting choice. Glad to see you joining us as I know we'll learn about the type while watching your progress :) 

• Like 1

Hi, Giorgio!

Maybe helping:

- F-94B Starfire (Sword 1/72):

Article:

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/7999-Sword-1-72-Lockheed-F-94B-Starfire.html

WIP:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_48019.html

- F-94B Starfire (Hobbycraft  1/48😞

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_20102_start_0.html

Despite the fact that in the conclusion of the article on Sword it is described that the model is very difficult (which we observed at all stages of the WIP), I still plan to buy it even though I have a Heller.

B.R. 

Serge

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Ah, a "T-Bird" on steroids :D A worthy entrant for this GB and as you say a quite underestimated design.

With the Sword kit there is at least a quite recent tooling available in 1/72. Would be great if that was the case for the F-94A/B in 1/48 to retire the old Hobbycraft tooling (something in the quality range of the GWH T-33 would be nice).

Cheers

Markus

Yes, that description sums pretty well what the Starfire was :D

After Kitty Hawk issued their C in 1/48 I was expecting new A and B variants in the same scale, however it looks like the kit wasn't a huge success. Last year at a local model show the Italian importer had a pile of KH kits on sale for € 15... problem was that I had already bought one the year before at the same show from the same importer for €25, that was already a heavily discounted price. Still, with more and more types coming from various Far East manufacturers there's hope that one day these variants will appear from someone.

19 hours ago, giemme said:

I'll tag along if you don't mind, G :) 

I totally understand what you say about the Sword kits, as I've recently completed their Lightning; mine was a metallic finish too and, if I may, I'd suggest you to use sprue gloop as a filler  - I regret I didn't in my build, as some of the seam still showed up on close inspection, no matter what filler I used. I've been experimenting with it recently and it's, IMHO, the best way to have no seam line showing through "sensitive" paint. HTH

Ciao

I will have to consider the sprue gloop  then ! It's something that I used many years ago but then stopped for some reason. I've already noticed areas in the kit where a lot of filler will be needed, was thinking of using CA glue but the gloop may be a better solution

17 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Giorgio,

Never built the Sword kit but 30 years ago I picked this up in the shop at the Midlands Air Museum near Coventry, alongside the site of the old Armstrong Whitworth factory at Bagington.

It is the old Heller moulding released in 1984, and reboxed later as Heller-Humbrol. Made up pretty well and it is a nice looking plane, apparently in the markings of the 59th FIS based they say in Greenland at Thule in around 1954, though one of my sources says Goose Bay, Labrador.

Good look with your build.

Pete

Nice model Pete ! The Heller kit always looked good for the era, I'm sure it also built more easily than the Sword one... have to say that the choice of colour scheme in the Heller kit and your model is great, it was one of the best schemes applied to the F-94B

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Col. said:

Welcome to the GB Giorgio and with an interesting choice. Glad to see you joining us as I know we'll learn about the type while watching your progress :) 

Thanks Col ! Unfortunately this time there's no special story, I may add something here and there but I don't have something like the story of the Italian Vampires 😁

Guess that a lot is due to the quite obscure career of the Starfire

1 hour ago, Aardvark said:

Hi, Giorgio!

Maybe helping:

- F-94B Starfire (Sword 1/72):

Article:

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/7999-Sword-1-72-Lockheed-F-94B-Starfire.html

WIP:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_48019.html

- F-94B Starfire (Hobbycraft  1/48😞

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_20102_start_0.html

Despite the fact that in the conclusion of the article on Sword it is described that the model is very difficult (which we observed at all stages of the WIP), I still plan to buy it even though I have a Heller.

B.R. 

Serge

WOW ! That build is incredible, thanks for sharing. The modeller tackled some of the aspects that sure deserve some attention, like the wheels. I will keep looking at the thread during my build but mine will be mostly OOB. In any case I've seen some interesting things already that I may copy.. and I've yet to read the thread (need to put it into a translator), the pictures alone have already showed some interesting work in potential trouble areas, for example in the intakes

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

WOW ! That build is incredible, thanks for sharing. The modeller tackled some of the aspects that sure deserve some attention, like the wheels. 

Yes, modeller known as "Kelly Johnson"  has a very high level of modeling. His other builds, Hawker Sea Hawk and F9F Panther, are also of high quality, unfortunately his latest interesting project Sword F3D Skyknight is unfinished long time.  The build article, as well as the WIP, needs translation, because there are many points indicating how to modify the model or correct its errors.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

Interesting build for sure @Giorgio N ! :) A kit that is still missing from my stash. I do have the Emhar F-94C though.

I've always wondered, why the early US jet planes are rather poorly presented in the modelling world. You usually have only that one option that in some cases has become rather hard to come by these days. They just don't sell that well I suppose?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, reini said:

You usually have only that one option that in some cases has become rather hard to come by these days. They just don't sell that well I suppose?

1989 year. Aardvark stands at the local city collectors club, the only place where one could semi-legally* buy Western models, and asks a 50-year-old hardened collector who sells or changes Hasegawa, Monogram, Italeri, etc.:

- Do you have Voodoo to sell?  

- .... voodoo - figudoo**... need to buy classics!  F-15 or F-16 for example!

Those.  even in the USSR at the end of the 80s, the classics were considered the F-15 and F-16, and the F-101 was not at all perceived as any famous aircraft!  What to say about F-94, etc.?

Some radically, but fully clarifies the situation.

😉😁

B.R.

Serge

* - in crime the law of the USSR was criminal responsibility for speculation, therefore, for the sale of models, one could theoretically go to jail.

** - I cannot translate this word because it is not in the Russian language, in fact, it was composed right there as a rhyme, and was derived in meaning from the word "nonsense", although in fact there was a derivative from another widely known obscene Russian word, which  I did not dare to publish and replaced it with a synonym ...😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

** - I cannot translate this word because it is not in the Russian language, in fact, it was composed right there as a rhyme, and was derived in meaning from the word "nonsense", although in fact there was a derivative from another widely known obscene Russian word, which  I did not dare to publish and replaced it with a synonym ...😁

Aww, spoilsport. One of the things I used to like about getting to know folk from other societies was learning how to swear in their language :blush:

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Col. said:

Aww, spoilsport. One of the things I used to like about getting to know folk from other societies was learning how to swear in their language :blush:

Are You  provoking my?😲😁 

O.K! 😉 Today part* of Your dream has come true!

All claims to YouTube, Elizabeth Olsen and Western TV! 😛

I just posted a link to YouTube!

😁

B.R.

Serge

* - I think the other part of Your dream will be realized by Giorgio, because he will tell us in old Italian language all that he thinks about those who write offtopic in his topic!

😉😲😁

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the waiting, here are finally some pictures...

The thread that Serge linked is fantastic and shows a lot of things that can be improved. Of these I've decided to work on one only and is the very different shape of the radr screen in the rear cockpit. The one in the kit is the type used in the F-94C, the B had a larger and boxier screen.

The rest of the cockpit will remain as offered in the kit, although a lot could be improved... I believe that the angle of the consolles is wrong, they should be more at a 45° angle and not flat as in the kit. In any case I'm leacing this as in the kit. All panels and consoles are reproduced with coloured PE parts and here's the result:

1145aa6f-58cc-4f85-a2e9-6af8190dbcf4.JPG

The rear panel will be modified with the different radar screen at a later moment, so I've started working on the wings. The wheel well and airbrakes bays could be detailed quite a lot, but I've decided not to bother.

resized_8f5bb408-ba74-4ff2-8e3e-1a57db53

Notice how the green in the wheel wells is much lighter than the one in the cockpit... this is something I've noticed in pictures of various F-94Cs but the NASM F-94A also seems to have quite a dark green in the cockpit.

Some work was necessary on the bulkhead used to blank the intake ducts, visible in the picture below. I had to scrape material from the central area as otherwise this part would have interfered with the cockpit floor, causing a serious gap in the intakes.

resized_d82b74bb-8b8e-4128-829b-bbe84ab3

Dryfitting the main parts showed that while the fit of the intakes may be sorted with filler, the intake splitter plates are too small for their recesses. I'm trying to think of solutions but I'm afraid that the only one will be replacing them completely. Annoying but not the first time I've had to do this on a model

• Like 7

Great start Giorgio, and I especially like that front IP. Some of the fit issues on Sword kits (and indeed some others like RS, older Special Hobby, AZ etc) can be challenging, but I do like the finesse of their surface finish, with such fine engraved detail. They also give us kits that mainstream people often avoid, so they are worth the effort I think.

Terry.

Ooh, an F-94! Don't see that too often, and you're off to a great start. I have the Emhar F-94C kit in my stash, along with the corresponding resin cockpit and seats from True Details. Someday...    :)

I never spray metallic paint (Alclad, etc.) over bare plastic, specifically because of the seam issue (and light scratches and scuffs). If I want a nice, bright and shiny aluminum natural metal finish I spray it over gloss white. I know others use gloss black, and I guess it all depends on what shade of metal you want to replicate. I used white for both my Lightning and Starfighter, if anyone can recall those, and I think they came out OK. They were built a while ago.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2