"The Spy who love me" Hunting Percival Pembroke [1/72 Special Hobby]

Rémi

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

'm guessing you must have been at SWAM, I see they have XL929 now.  Isn't it two Pembrokes and two Sea Princes?

Indeed I have and indeed they do. You're not wrong in saying they have 2 Sea Princes, albeit, 1 belongs to Horizon and lives with them as well as your chariot (as pictured) above. I always thought the Sea Prince was a variation of the Pembroke til your comment made me look it up! I've had it backwards all along! I still remember seeing 740 flying over Barry a few years ago. Her Airworthiness Certificate is expired now though I believe. 

• Like 1

Hi Remi, I don't know how fussy you want to be with the cockpit, but Pembrokes (and Sea Princes) had resin/paxolin type seats for the pilots, that were common on British late-war and post-war aircraft.  These are an orangy brown colour with thin black seat cushioning.  I should have some better pictures somewhere.

7269764956_acafccfc9f_b.jpg

Percival Pembroke C.1 WV740 (G-BNPH) cockpit by James Thomas, on Flickr

Hi Lewis,

The whole Percival Prince family are strongly related of course, and essentially the fuselage and main structures stayed the same. 

The biggest structural change occurred to the cockpit and nose area, from the Prince 6 onwards, and the longer span wings on the Pembroke/President series.

Most of the changes were to engines, interior fit, undercarriage arrangements, and visually the nose cones.

The Navy got in early and had versions based on the Prince 2 as the Sea Prince C.1, and the Prince 6 as the Sea Prince T.1 and C.2.

Shame to hear WV740s CofA has expired, bit of a bad year for that sort of thing I guess.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

Thats a great picture above James @71chally. Is that seat arrangement a fit out for Navigation training? I have a friend who did Observer training in the Royal Navy and he said it was all in Pembrokes - I think he meant Sea Princes!

Terry

• Like 1

Hi Terry, yes that's the Sea Prince T.1 Observer trainer, ex 750NAS Royal Navy. 

The Navy didn't have Pembrokes, and RAF Pembrokes weren't configured for Obs/Nav trainers, though some of the Luftwaffe ones were.  

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

Ground crew on them on 60 Sqdn, pain in the "A" hand cleaning them when they landed after every trip. The photo/VIP/ CASEVAC ones all got treated the same.

Good fun ground running them at night with the cowlings off. With the power setting right you could get the exhaust system glowing cherry red. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, 71chally said:

Somewhere I have a picture of the seats removed, but I have this for now, you can see them in the distance

The inside looks very different now! The seats on the left hand side have been removed but the 3 starboard side along the desk remain. 

• Like 1

I repainted the cockpit seat

Now I can close the fuselage. All the pieces are in place.

I glued a piece behind the dashboard unless that, the dashboard can't be fixed

_DSC3300.jpg

_DSC3301.jpg

_DSC3302.jpg

I glued the engine on the wing. I use a lot of putty, but now I satisfied by the result

The piece on the rear of the engine, need some adjustement

_DSC3306.jpg

• Like 11

In late 1979 I saw one of these at the Wichita Falls, Texas, civil aircraft terminal on Sheppard Air Force Base. Of course I didn’t have my camera with me and didn’t think to record the RAF serial.  I’ve always wondered since about the identity of the aircraft and what it was doing there.

I assembled the two fuselage.
After two days of filler/sanding process, finaly, my fuselage is good.

The next step is the nose. I added 10 grammes in it and seal all the weight with wood glue.

I added weight under the floor of the cockpit. I glued a L shape evergreen for seperate the hole of the nose gear and avoid some weight to go to this place

I added the fins. I cutted the center pins for a best adjustment.

_DSC3310.jpg

_DSC3311.jpg

• Like 11

On 11/19/2020 at 6:46 AM, Space Ranger said:

In late 1979 I saw one of these at the Wichita Falls, Texas, civil aircraft terminal on Sheppard Air Force Base. Of course I didn’t have my camera with me and didn’t think to record the RAF serial.  I’ve always wondered since about the identity of the aircraft and what it was doing there.

I can't help you with that one, but a number of Pembrokes made it over to the 'States in the late 1970s, at least four ex RAF ones, but mainly ex Belgium Air Force.   Most went out via a European based dealer and ended up being used by Air America Inc (not the CIA one!) for all sorts of elicit work, including drugs and arms running - which I always found slightly amusing given the 'gentlemans' carriage' nature of the dear old Percy!  Some are still preserved in the 'States.

Superb work, going on Remi, very tidy.

• Thanks 1

The engines are in place

I glued the wings.

On the under junction I use the Perfect Plastic Putty. Why this putty ? Because the difference between the fuselage and the wing is too large.

But beware, this putty must not be sand with water. Unless the putty disappear.

it must be smooth with an cotton rod

Now I must make the camera ports. And after that I would paint the Pembroke

_DSC3321.jpg

_DSC3323.jpg

_DSC3326.jpg

_DSC3325.jpg

• Like 13

@remi: this is really impressive work on your part and much farther than I got with the kit before I misplaced all the parts trees (doh!).  You've assembled this so neatly, and with great rapidity, that I'm very much in awe.  Looking forward to next steps.  Alex

I started the conception of the camera parts

It is a first for me because I will use for the first time my Elegoo Mars Printer

For the moment I try to learn how to use the 3D conception program.

My first try without the fuselage curve

camera.jpg

• Like 6

After several attemps, I printed a piece usable

It is not perfect because the fuselage curve is difficult to apprehends

_DSC3356.jpg

_DSC3357.jpg

_DSC3359.jpg

I taked the time too to make the canopy/windows mask and serial/roundle mask

verriere.jpg

decalque.jpg

• Like 10