"The Spy who love me" Hunting Percival Pembroke [1/72 Special Hobby]

Rémi

Hi

With the finish of FH-1 Phantom, one place got free and I can start a new build.

THis time, I exit from my stash an old box from Special Hobby. A "black box" coming from the early age of this kitmaker :D

I choose the "Hunting Percival Pembroke"

112439-11067-pristine.jpg

Why the "Spy who love me" in my title ?

Because these planes based on West Germany officialy serve as transport unit but in reality were "Spy plane"

My title is a little wink to the "James Bond" movies.

Edited by Rémi
  • Like 21

This will be good, I didn't know there was a 1/72 Pembroke! Getting on ebay right now 😂

I had no idea these were spyplanes either, genuinely thought they were for transport in RAF Germany. What spy equipment did they have, there's no lumps and bumps on them?

• Like 1

Basically speaking @Lord Riot the 60 Sqn Pembrokes operating at Wildenrath had a wonderful opportunity to take photographs along the Berlin corridor as they were frequently transiting this route.  Some of their Pembrokes were modified to carry a camera fit in the belly, covered by a sliding door, and this allowed fairly comprehensive photographic reconnaissance of the east of the border areas.

The preserved Pembroke XL954 / G-BXES is one of these aircraft and you can just make out the modifications on the underside,

30219_big.jpg

Be interesting to see this build, I have one in stash somewhere and it looks quite nice, but I seem to recall the windscreen area is a little off.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Rémi said:

I didn't find informations

The only information, I have find is that they could have fit some cameras in the front of the passagers cab

There's a nice piece (2 pages) on them here Remi,

https://www.16va.be/pembrokes_part1_eng.html

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice!  Looking forward to this one.  It has beautiful interior details--passenger seats, even--and some nicely recessed panel lines.  Unfortunately, the butt-joins on the tail are a problem, and DO check your horizontal stabilizers to ensure they are not slightly warped.  That was a problem with the kit I worked on.  I started it many years ago and still haven't finished it!  Lots and lots of nose weight needed on this baby, too.

• Like 3

Hello guys,

there is an excellent book called "Looking down the corridors" that will give details about the flights, equipment, procedures and so on. The book covers also the Chipmunk flights together with a few hair rising photos. French SIGINT operations and American recce flights are also explained.

Pembroke is an interesting subject so I will be watching this, although I haven't purchased the kit.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 2

Great to see one of these built on BM, I built this a few months ago in

a lockdown attempt to reduce my stash, it needs a lot of care but builds into a good model. I do remember the wing to fuselage join needed quite a lot of filler! And a lot of weight as stated above, fortunately there is plenty of room in the long nose!

Cheers, Paul

Great subject. Should be a very interesting build.

I must admit although I had heard of Pembroke configured "spook" aircraft, I had never appreciated exactly what they got up to. That link of yours James @71chally was utterly fascinating to read. I'm curious now regarding the Chipmunk's role!

Must get myself one of these Pembroke's, possibly two as I'd fancy converting one to a Sea Prince also.

Terry

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Great subject. Should be a very interesting build.

I must admit although I had heard of Pembroke configured "spook" aircraft, I had never appreciated exactly what they got up to. That link of yours James @71chally was utterly fascinating to read. I'm curious now regarding the Chipmunk's role!

Must get myself one of these Pembroke's, possibly two as I'd fancy converting one to a Sea Prince also.

Terry

Not to get too far OT, but Chipmunks also "trolled" the corridors and around Berlin.  The pilots or observers used hand-held cameras at low level to do recon work.  There is at least one photo taken by an observer that shows a Soviet soldier leveling his rifle at the aircraft.  That would have raised the "pucker factor" a few notches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Not to get too far OT, but Chipmunks also "trolled" the corridors and around Berlin.  The pilots or observers used hand-held cameras at low level to do recon work.  There is at least one photo taken by an observer that shows a Soviet soldier leveling his rifle at the aircraft.  That would have raised the "pucker factor" a few notches.

And a bullet hole was discovered in the spinner after landing. That soldier in the photo did more than just took aim.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 2

A couple of photos of RAFG Pembrokes:

spacer.png

Pembroke C(PR)1 XL953 on approach to former Berlin-Tempelhof airport. This aircraft was lost in a hangar fire at RAF Wildenrath in May 1980. (Photo: Peter Seemann)

spacer.png

XL954 banks away from the camera showing the two post-Mod. 614 camera doors. (Photo: Classic Air Force)

Hope these help.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Antti_K said:

This aircraft was lost in a hangar fire at RAF Wildenrath in May 1980

I remember that one. Fuel was being drained and it wasn't properly earthed. If I remember correctly. 

I only saw a couple of these Aircraft when I was in the Mob. Nice though.

• Like 1

I'll take a seat if I may? Flew in a 60 Sqd: Pembroke at Wildenrath as an ATC Cadet in 1968/9 so have a soft spot for the Pembroke.

I may even have one in the stash - must go and look

Stay safe            Roger

I started my build

Like all "Special Hobby black box", you must always try fit before the glue

For the fuselage it's not so bad

_DSC3283.jpg

In details the rear section is bend. But nothing who will escape of a good constraint

_DSC3285.jpg

For the canopy, you must add some materials to fil the gap between canopy and fuselage on the rear section of the canopy

_DSC3284.jpg

In the fuselage interior, you must sand the 3 ejection plot. Specially the last rear plot. At this place one section of the floor take his place

_DSC3286.jpg

We can pass to the wings.

You have some works at this place

The wings are in two parts and Mr "Filler" help you to join these two pieces

But it not finish

The engine nacel need a good amount of care

_DSC3288.jpg

I added a reinforcement on the floor of the front floor

_DSC3290.jpg

And for finish with a positiv note, a global view

_DSC3289.jpg

• Like 11

I painted almost the interior this afternoon

Because I haven't any reference, I paint it with my inspiration. All my apologise if it is not like a real plane.

Because it is "a spy plane", I added some radio too. I made the rack and use some spare parts from the sprue that were not use.

The rack

_DSC3292.jpg

With some seats

_DSC3293.jpg

Front seat and all the other seats

_DSC3294.jpg

All these parts in the fuselage

_DSC3296.jpg

Instrument panels

_DSC3298.jpg

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, Rémi said:

I painted almost the interior this afternoon

Because I haven't any reference, I paint it with my inspiration. All my apologise if it is not like a real plane.

Because it is "a spy plane", I added some radio too. I made the rack and use some spare parts from the sprue that were not use.

The rack

_DSC3292.jpg

With some seats

_DSC3293.jpg

Front seat and all the other seats

_DSC3294.jpg

All these parts in the fuselage

_DSC3296.jpg

Instrument panels

_DSC3298.jpg

Looks good bud! 

If I remember later, I'll share the image of the inside of the Sea Prince I was in earlier. 

2 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

I've actually just seen 4 various Pembrokes this weekend!

I'm guessing you must have been at SWAM, I see they have XL929 now.  Isn't it two Pembrokes and two Sea Princes?

Excellent progress Remi, the interior work is very nice, the seats are lovely.

Noisy aircraft, I believe the RAF referred to it as the most expensive way of moving six people, love the design though.

7281696532_313f1d59f7_b.jpg

Pembroke WV740 Myself in the back by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 5