Meteor FR9 in Suez Stripes! (208 Sqn, Hal Far, 1956)

This build came from one of those flashes of inspiration that results in a sudden urge to start a kit from scratch and see it through to the end in quick order, rather than languishing for a few years as per usual.

Browsing through Airframe Extra No.7 'The Suez Crisis', I came upon a photo of a lineup of Meteor FR9s of No 208 Sqn at Hal Far, resplendent in Suez stripes! I had no idea this version wore these markings, only ever seeing them on NF13s before. I'd had this book a few years but never twigged, there's even a small version of the photo on the front cover, hiding in plain sight! Very handily, the photo shows the nearest aircraft's serial clearly (WB121), and I knew immediately that I had to build this aircraft.

I was already part way through an Airfix Meteor F8, but straight away started a newly received FR9 to build in parallel. I won't go into detail on the kit itself, other than to say it is generally a joy to build with a small number of fit issues, but nothing major. I built it pretty much straight from the box, and finished it with Xtracolor and Humbrol paints and a mix of kit and aftermarket decals (for the serials and 'W' codes).

I hope you like the result as much as I do!

resized_7b9b6d61-50a6-470d-b006-5bf2ae92

resized_0c06803c-5d37-40de-a81b-ee2bda7c

resized_9f30e5f9-f6f4-43fe-99e5-9950b0e2

resized_f1e60f02-984b-49c7-847a-b9e04a12

resized_ef983632-e945-4111-bdbe-1e880a3d

Thanks for looking.

Mike 

• Like 58
  • Thanks 1

A very nice finish Mike on both Meteors.

I’m working on a collection of Suez aircraft in 1/48. So far I’ve built the Sea Hawk and Wyvern and have an AEW Skyraider and Hunter F4 in the stash. This Meteor will be another one to look for.

Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

Nice work Mike. 

I love it when sudden inspiration strikes. I built one of these kits about 18 months ago. I remember apart from the fit of the nose cone it’s a pretty good build. 

James

• Like 1