1/48 F-14D

Dansk

13 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Nicely done with the pre-shading! That's a steady hand!

Any tips on aftermarket requirements? There's so much out there but I've read that very little is actually needed!

i bought some quinta studio cockpit parts for the next one they look awesome, the eduard stuff I put on this kit was a step down from the kit cockpit.
But I think the kit’s bang seats could be more detailed they’re so so.

and maybe theres some weighted wheels out there that could be nice but the kits are fine, and I guess avionics bays if thats your bag.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dansk said:

i bought some quinta studio cockpit parts for the next one they look awesome, the eduard stuff I put on this kit was a step down from the kit cockpit.
But I think the kit’s bang seats could be more detailed they’re so so.

and maybe theres some weighted wheels out there that could be nice but the kits are fine, and I guess avionics bays if thats your bag.

Thanks Paul.

Yep, I've seen the Quinta stuff on-line and it does look good!! I may settle for that and some Brassin seats. Oh, and possibly some weighted wheels now you've mentioned them!

Cheers :happy:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dansk said:

Great I found a reference with the 4 phoenix, 2 sidewinder, 2 sparrows 

so this is the configuration I’ll go with 

50743052856_ea0b4e011b.jpg

The Tomcat does look good when fully tooled up B) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dansk said:

Great I found a reference with the 4 phoenix, 2 sidewinder, 2 sparrows 

so this is the configuration I’ll go with 

50743052856_ea0b4e011b.jpg

Salty Dog Squadron. VX-23 DFCS F-14D. You can see on the wings where the day glow orange wingtips are painted over in newly applied grey. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Collin said:

Salty Dog Squadron. VX-23 DFCS F-14D. You can see on the wings where the day glow orange wingtips are painted over in newly applied grey. 

Thats so cool I love that kind of info 👍

i’ve been working further with pre-shading getting some levels and depth of colour. The last pale paint shading was too dry and speckle-y which i think will show through the main coat so i will remedy this with some more navy blue panel line shadings.

but i think once covered in a paint coat the colour depths should work out well 🤞(famous last words)

50744660547_4522af823f_b.jpg

50743816728_b1ba22b607_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Thats a very interesting look Paul, I'm sure it will give a great result with the camo on top of it.

Thanks craig, if we consider it as a base coat I think it might be a nice foundation to build on.

When we’re laying down the real paint, Mottling and salt weathering then most will be obliterated though’ll think you’ll sense it.

heres some examples of where I’d like to head towards...

50745438387_1eb55a0e5b_b.jpg

50745438382_c9975318c2_b.jpg

50744600183_565aae6f62_b.jpg

We have a fair way to go!

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 10

I’ve been painting a lot today.
And everything with the exception of the ordnance is provisionally done.
A lot of the preshading has disappeared as expected, but some remains, you can just get a sense of it here with the brown streaks.

50746803718_20cb8a103e_b.jpg

On top I’ve played with templates to get a subtle salt corrosive feel. There’s some subtle nice tones in the paint but its difficult to capture some of the nuances on camera.

50747645957_a4d51cc0c5_b.jpg

50747567681_04a54c0817_k.jpg

50747645922_98c81368d8_b.jpg

50747645912_8354baf396_b.jpg

50747645947_4781c332e0_h.jpg

Next up painting ordnance then I will experiment with oils and pigments next to get more nuances post-decalling.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Wow Paul, that looks fantastic!

Really does capture the salt faded look of the real thing, I would be more than happy if that was the final finish I achieved on the paint.

4 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

WOW!! That looks superb!! Cracking job Paul:clap:

Thank you chaps I’m really glad you like it 🙏😊

• Like 2

On 12/21/2020 at 3:10 PM, Dansk said:

heres some examples of where I’d like to head towards...

Looking great, particularly the weathering. Not usually a fan of heavy weathering, but a weathered TPS is quite literally a demonstration of "if some is good, more is better, and too much is just right!"

Thanks chaps 👍🙏

Merry Christmas everyone.

I hope you are all enjoying the holidays and got lots of modelling goodies from santa.

In between all the festivities I’ve managed to get behind the bench for a short period.

Tamiyas decals (together with the do-it-yourself window masks) are really the weak part of the kit I feel. They are really really thick and theres loads of carrier film. 

I’ve been hacking bits off all of them...

50759523588_6f126c0545_b.jpg

50760362312_3b4997f07a_b.jpg

Theres no stencil data either apart from that on the ordnance. So it feels a lacking in detail in that respect unless to,cats had no stencil data??

The aircraft is nearly fully decaled and I have gone over everything thus far with a light mist of grey to knock them all back a touch. 

50760252731_530afbd1cd_b.jpg

I’ve ordered a new nedle set for my main airbrush. It always shoots grainy these days even after a strip down and irrespective of paint / thinner mix.

I also painted the red strip on the top of the vertical stabilizers a faded red to match.

I inadvertently pulled off the 00 on the port rudder while masking the red. 😣 So this has been replaced with one from another scheme, albeit with a yellow shadow but I don’t think casual observers will identitfy the error.

50759523743_782ca1ab81_b.jpg

50760362357_a223b2b423_b.jpg

Cleverly Tamiya allow you to snap on and off the airbags and sealing plates for swept forward or aft wings. Great. But you only get a set of decals for one guise? 🤔 So I’ve gone for swept back as I couldn’t be fussed masking / making my own set.

50760252826_334330a35d_b.jpg

50760362777_0a1c6c4a30_b.jpg

Why don't you ever see Santa Claus in the hospital? Because he has private elf care.

• Like 4

I'm guessing Tamiya didn't include any stencil data decals due to them frequently being over-painted during the constant touch-up process these aircraft underwent in service :shrug:

14 hours ago, Col. said:

I'm guessing Tamiya didn't include any stencil data decals due to them frequently being over-painted during the constant touch-up process these aircraft underwent in service :shrug:

Thanks chaps and you might be right Col.

Well if anyones reading this thread with an idea to build the kit for the F-14stgb next year, they may consider an AM set. Does anyone have reference of F-14 stencils on real aircraft? Or have they all been painted away, particularly on lo viz schemes - @trickyrich does your reference book show any?

Edited by Dansk

I’ve been attempting use oils for the first time on a kit, I think the results are working quite well. It’s fun!

50766672446_f3003152d0_h.jpg

I’ve also progressed a bit with the nozzles.

50766671041_c61ddb0476_b.jpg

and with a few more decals the ordnance is done.

so one of the penultimate tasks is to make the undercarriage which I have shyed away from - There’s no avoiding it any longer.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 5