AFV Club Matador - Early Type

Del Boy

So first off Del boy I reckon that looks pretty good. Nice and dusty, the dirt looks layered and if you zoom in it looks exactly like painted wood that's been scrapped by something. Give it a pin wash and it will look the job. Add a few oil barrel ring stains and your good to go. 👍

As for that '14' looks like a verruca plaster 😉🤣

Andrew 

• Thanks 1

That's looking pretty darn sweet Derek, the wood on the flat bed looks the dogs mate and its looking like it will get 

ever better ;)

Get some good decal setting solution, I recommend the Daco range, there are 3 types Strong , medium and you know the last one. 

These are probably one of the best decal solutions you can buy, not cheap but they do exactly as they say. The yellow bridge weight number will conform 

perfectly to the disk its mounted on with the medium stuff.  

Keep it up :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks chaps appreciated in my hour of need!

Andrew, the pin wash, before or after a Matt Varnish and general weathering?

Dan I used Vallejo Softener and Fix but before that had a devil of a job getting the decal a) off the backing and b) positioning. Did not have the problem on either the Churchill or Tiger decals but they were Tamiya, I am wondering if that made a difference being AFV Club? What do you use to position the decal, my bananas are just too big hence to mess with Verruca! (I expect there were a lot in the desert but not on the truck itself!)

Cheers

Derek

Convention is to pin wash before weathering however with pigments they get in all the grooves. I did a pin wash before and after on the Tilley rear deck. FYI I'm winging it just like you 😉

That 14 decal looks way too big for the part. Could you paint it yellow and use individual "1" and "4"? And I use a toothpick to position. 

Andrew 

• Thanks 1

First off trying to save my Number 14! I have trimmed around the carbuncle to a degree that I can just about live with and will cover up the bad bits with some pigment. Still far from good but I think this is less risky for me with my skills (or lack of) than trying to repaint at least at this stage.

P1030295

So, not much achieved this weekend cos of other stuff but had an initial go at the first layer on the side panel and a further one on the rear deck.

P1030299

P1030298

Needless to say kept up my record of breaking / loosing at least two parts per weekend!

Cheers

Derek

• Like 10

Your getting the gang of this Derek 👍 Floor looking nicely used with character. Wall looks like it's had plenty of dirty fingers on it. 

When weathering think of where and how it would be used. Tell your sea story and act out the knocks, scuffs, dirty boots etc with your brush 😉

Andrew 

• Thanks 1

Hi chaps, slow progress at the moment, SWMBO had to have an Op and recovery taking quite a while so I have switched to simple indoor stuff to stay close. Started to assemble the figures I plan to incorporate, Masterbox and Mini Art, some nice detail, hope I can keep it! First shot crudely filled (how do you guys manage this so much better?)

P1030302

Not the greatest of shots, light was all wrong after a quick Prime. I have found that shows the flaws and errors to work on best.

P1030304

Perhaps its the Desert Sunset!

Thanks for looking in.

Derek

• Like 7

For filling figures I use Vallejo putty, it’s water based and is rather crap for general modelling stuff but is superb for figures, smear it in and wipe it off with a damp cotton bud, no sanding ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vallejo-20-ml-Plastic-Putty/dp/B000TSBJEO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3BFYL5L4LPLLC&dchild=1&keywords=vallejo+putty&qid=1617132727&sprefix=Vallejo+putt%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-1

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Hello Chaps, after a very long break my Mojo has returned, dusted off the bench, poured a beer and wondered where to start! Have to say big thanks to Longshanks for all the mentoring and encouragement to get going again, thanks mate!

So, I remember why I stopped. I was disgusted at how poor my assembly of the figures was, filling was bad etc. etc. and just did not do them justice. Thanks to Dan and Kev, started to fill and clean up again and whilst not 100% happy at least now I feel I have righted most of the wrongs. Primed and a first light coat of Khaki added, not great but maybe the paint was cold / old  (or operator error, most likely!)

P1030457

A quick prime on the various accessories retrieved from the Parts Box.

P1030454 P1030454 P1030455

Nothing amazing but it feels good to get started again!

Derek

• Like 8

Good to see you back at the bench with your improved figures.

Having seen the vehicle in the flesh I can state without fear of contradiction you have a future in modelling :thumbsup:

Hope all goes well with the Op tomorrow

Stay safe

Kev

• Thanks 1

So spent some time starting of the figures, assuming they are just 8th Army and nothing special does anyone have any idea what colour the Beret's would be?

Funny, the skin tones look way too dark in the photo!

P1030462

I also played around with starting to weather some of the accessories.

P1030461 P1030461

And then finally for a bit of R & R started to fashion the base. Just how do you guys get the wheel tracks to show in your settings, frustrated of Lymington!

P1030463

Thanks for the interest!

Derek 

• Like 11