AFV Club Matador - Early Type

Del Boy

So this is my story based on my Father's WWII 'career' so to speak. He joined the BEF in early 1940 as a Driver. I only have these small photo's to share. I believed the truck to be a Matador (not so sure now though!) and no idea what the utility vehicle is, Humber maybe? Anyway, one long trip to Dunkirk later, rescue from Bray Dunes by HMS Halcyon and then a main stint in Radio and later Wireless or Radar as we know it today. My story is therefore  to model what I know of the various scenarios and would like to invite comments and insights from all the experienced modellers out there!

Stay safe and sane!

Derek

• Like 4

My knowledge of WW2 trucks is limited, but I can tell you that there are no Matadors in those photos. But that's not to say that your Dad didn't drive one. The cab in the first one looks as if it was based on a bus/coach. The other two photos with vehicles in them look like utilities. I think that the last one is either an Austin or a Hillman.

John.

Hi Kev, yes as you can see the Photos came across aok s, thanks for your help and encouragement all along buddy.

Graham, thanks for taking the time to come back to me. I still cant work out quite why I thought he drove a Matador but must have been influenced from photos at the REME Museum (which Dad was moved to after ROAC was 'amalgamated' etc) and hence making a wild assumption and getting it wrong! Also thanks for suggesting the Airfix kit, I will look out for one of those and given I now have the Matador (my third kit) will have a go at that for now.

John, clearly you know your subject and again thanks for taking the time to reply. Interesting, the mission to understand Dad's record led me to have contact with a brilliant Researcher called Brian Baxter at REME. He was able to confirm Dad was indeed a Driver in the BEF but not what. I do have an offer to return (when it reopens of course) and carry out some research up there and since I found these photos I have something more to go on. I will start searching for the appropriate images going forward.

So, that's a lot of the background, actually got around to opening the box today, now where did I put that glue!

Thanks again all, stay safe and sane!

Derek

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Del Boy said:

IMG_5222

So just a quick shot of the artwork and the initial sprues, mental note to start tomorrow (and I know Longshanks will hold me to that!

Hi del boy

I have this in my pile and am currently doing the Dorchester which has the same running gear. 

Couple of things:

1. I would not attach I44 until your ready to put the exhaust on. Its very delicate and sticks out. 

2. The mystery part in the pic below is L7 (it's 7 anyway) don't glue this bit until your ready to attach the part it supports as it will mean a very tight squeeze and some nasty bending! 

20200919_113141

3. There is a hole in the gearbox. I plugged it! 

20200919_162713

4. I would highly recommend these after market wheels. Way better than the kit rubber. They are weighted as well. 

20200915_191407

20200919_161553

Have fun 👍😉

A

Edited by APA
  • Like 9

Hi APA, thanks for the tips, really appreciated. Interesting, I was wondering what said hole was for? Went up and down the instructions many times but they actually show it. Will be filled tout suite. I will find your build in a minute but is the Dorchester the Command Car variant? Where did you find the wheels, my kit came from Frome Models but I have not been there in person, are they a good source? Need to read my Matador book don't I!

IMG_5238

To my amazement I have actually started the build today so Sump and Winch started, Chassis tomorrow if it's chucking down! Not much but a start and I am seriously impressed with the quality of this kit, so far the parts just seem exquisite to me and looking forward to the build and trying to do them justice. 

IMG_5237

Thanks all.

Derek

• Like 11

Hi

Here's my WIP

Yes that hole is a bit bizarre. 

Yes mine is the command vehicle and the instructions can be a bit vague, see my WIP. Moulding is good but does have some annoying flaws. Check your leaf springs 😉

I think I bought the wheels direct from DEF but Fields of Glory and others sell them.

Never been to frome models. I get all my stuff on line. 

How's that book? Worth purchasing? Does it have all the varients? 

A

I want to be honest about the book A. Its basically in two parts covering both the 0853 and the 0854. I would say there is also a fairly even mix of military and civilian pictures, the later mostly in colour. In the first mix there are many external shots, some clearly staged but many 'real time' good reference shots in a variety of theatres just the same so interesting thoughts for dioramas maybe.  All manner of variants from Armoured Demolition through APC's to Deacons and Half Tracks.  The only Dorchester shot is one I will photo / post tomorrow  (scanning it does not work from the shiny paper) and if it look faint that's cos the original is! I think the book cost me £16 but I guess you could grab a second hand one for half that.

Derek

Thanks for the honesty 👍 I might get it for future reference as i am developing a bit of a soft spot for all things AEC. I am tempted by the deacon and the demolition vehicle which is based on the Dorchester. Lots of potential with a matador 😉

A

On 11/11/2020 at 11:19, Bullbasket said:

My knowledge of WW2 trucks is limited, but I can tell you that there are no Matadors in those photos. But that's not to say that your Dad didn't drive one. The cab in the first one looks as if it was based on a bus/coach. The other two photos with vehicles in them look like utilities. I think that the last one is either an Austin or a Hillman.

John.

I'm 99% certain the bus is a Burlingham body, but with the radiator obscured it's hard to say on what chassis.   The car is an Austin Eight.

• Like 1

That's  interesting eh! Must be a clue as to just how few photo's were taken. No there is nothing more on the Dorchester hence my caution about the book for you. I have been making some progress on the basic chassis, some parts wonderfully tedious! I filled the strange gearbox hole. Suspenders next!

IMG_5258

• Like 9

Does not look like too much progress I will admit but I have been working on the Suspension this week. Quite difficult to follow some illustrations and yes with my banana's for fingers quite tricky but  ready for a bit more clean-up now.

IMG_5261

I would like to ask for some advice. On my second kit a Tiger 1 I finished the kit before starting out with the airbrush and found myself duplicating a lot of effort. I have seen various builds on BM that split the work into modules and paint them separately. Does anyone have any comments, I was thinking of making this my first module.

Thanks in advance!

Derek

• Like 6

I like to break a kit down into logical modules Derek, it just makes things so much easier to paint up. For AFVs I look at :- 

1. Running Gear

2. Lower hull

3. upper hull 

4. Tracks 

5. Turret 

6. ancillaries 

7. Crew 

Not always in that order I must add, I try and find a logical modular order to follow with each build. I treat every subassembly as a build in its own right - like a kit within a kit if that makes sense.

Regards

Dan 

Thank Dan, I guess this means I had better start thinking about the Dio of Theatre of Operations and dig out the airbrush??? Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated. Better make sure its rusty then so no Desert scenes eh 😉

• Haha 1