Landing Ship Medium(Rocket)

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello everyone... Being a grand newb at ships I was wondering if I could use this as a base to convert to a later LSM(R). 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-05123-us-navy-landing-ship-medium-early--258974#

The kit has the basic structure I need and could be lengthened/widened if needed. The Island is roughly the same shape but at the rear center of the ship I’ve seen from the few photo’s I have. There are what appear to be four turrets for the rockets on the main deck and the bow and rear seem to be very close to the kits layout ? 

My Uncle served on LSM(R)521 U.S.S. Rainy River. Ive been building my first ship in 27 years in 1/700 but have decided the etch is just to small for my gorilla hands. No one makes an LSM IN 1/350 so this would be my next option. Failing that my very last option would be to build one in 1/350 by scratch building it. As it has a flat welded deck and no vehicle hold that part would be easy. The guns and other fittings are available in 1/350 from other kits. Its the hull shape and rocket fittings are where I would need help and photo’s and blueprints ? Im looking for opinions, ideas, and thoughts  

Dennis

15 minutes ago, EwenS said:

You will find plenty of photos here

http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/14/14idx.htm

Thanks Ewen,

Doing a quick comparison of the specs to one of the markings options in the Revell kit (LSM-201) the Beam is the same at 34’6”. The overall length of Rainy River versus LSM-201 in the kit is that Rainy River is 2’9” longer. So looks like it is a doable comversion ? Then I need to figure out the turrets. So research begins. 

Compared with a standard LSM you need to:-

remove the ramp 

reshape the bow (which I believe is where the extra length comes from)

plate in the tank deck

the superstructure moved aft is enlarged 

the gun forward of the bridge is a standard USN 5”/38 calibre in an enclosed mount

twin 40mm Mk.1 bofors in the bow and above the stern with Mark 51 directors in the little pulpits above and behind each mount

Hand worked twin 20mmx4 - forward each side just behind the bofors and aft on the main deck beside the superstructure.

Details of the various gun mounts can be found here

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_Main.php

10 Mk 102 twin automatic rocket launchers forward (2 were removed after Korea - they were numbered 1 & 10 but I’m not clear exactly which they were)

4x4.2” mortars. 2 forward of the deckhouse and one on either side

2x0.5” machine guns on the forecastle

2x0.3” machine guns on the bridge wings

2.5m optical rangefinder and rocket director on top of the bridge.

You should be able to source the various 20mm/40mm/5” guns relatively easily as they appear on many US ships in the late war period. The rocket launchers and mortars may be more difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1