282 - Een belgische Spitfire / un Spitfire belge ** FINISHED **

TonyOD

If I just put this here does it constitute any kind of contractual obligation? 😁

I have plenty going on for this GB and others, but I think I might squeeze another small one in and I'm aiming to make this my Christmas break build. I haven't built a Spitfire in over a decade and it feels overdue. It's the relatively recent 1990s boxing of the 1979 Mk XVI kit originally numbered 282, which I will be building as an aircraft flown by 350 Squadron of the Belgian Air Force 🇧🇪 in 1946. 

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 5

Nice choice. I do like the Heller XVIe. Haven't decided if I'm going to throw one of mine in yet, but if not, I'll do the next best thing and follow this one. Be nice to see a Belgian Spit too. After all, that's nearly French right?

Steev

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

that's nearly French right?

Don't ever say that in Flanders, you'll get strung up! 😂

This is the only Heller kit I've ever built before, one of my very early attempts and I remember it being a really enjoyable build. Hoping I've upped my game a bit since then. Model long since lost but a picture survives.

spacer.png

• Like 6

Looks good to me now, and brings back memories of the one I built in the same scheme, mainly because I wasn't too sure about the other option with the lime green squadron codes. The second one I cross kitted with a Frog Mk XIV to try and make a low back XVI. It sort of worked.

No offence to our friends in Belgium. In fact, I shall use that as an excuse to stick on my favourite Telex album.

Steve

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

lime green squadron codes.

Yeah I’m no expert but I’m pretty sure that’s duff.

Callouts on the Lifelike decals I’m using show the fin flashes back to front, but actual decals are printed correctly, thankfully.

• 1 month later...

With my Amiot inching towards completion and the pressure off with my LeO now I've pulled it from the MTO GB, and a couple of weeks off work I think now's the time to get started on this wee fella. I'm hoping for a reasonably quick build.

Sprue shot after a quick wash. It's very, er, black. I plan to scribe some panel lines and I think I'll need to give the wing and fuselage a squirt of primer beforehand simply so I can see what's happening with the raised lines.

spacer.png

Heller kits often benefit from a new hat and shoes!

spacer.png

The decals. I think I( mentioned the fin flashes are printed incorrectly on the callouts.

spacer.png

Here we go!

• Like 3

On 10/11/2020 at 20:52, TonyOD said:

Don't ever say that in Flanders

You cannot say that even in Wallonie! Looking forward to following your build of this rare variation.

• Like 1

Scribin’... I’ve heard rumours that there are Spitfire kits out there with recessed panel lines already in them... but I don’t believe it.

spacer.png

• Like 6

Primer on, and I can see my panel lines, which is nice. Might give that join along the nose a bit of attention. The kit canopy made a handy mask. I wish all my builds were this speedy!

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of progress with the Spit. Underside painted and subjected to a bit of pencil smearing, masked off (faffy!) so I can get busy on the top.

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 5

Masked up ready for a bit of green. Every camo job I've ever done I've just freehanded but I thought I'd put a bit of effort into this one.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Looking good Tony!

Got to admit! I love masking (sarcasm obviously 🤣). Actually, at least most Luftwaffe camo is just straight lines. This wiggly stuff looks like a headache to mask.

21 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

This wiggly stuff looks like a headache to mask.

It is, but if I look on the bright side, apart from splinter every camo scheme the Luftwaffe did in WW2 I would find completely undoable!

The biggest headache, weirdly, is having to try really hard not to mask the bits that I want to paint...

26 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

It is, but if I look on the bright side, apart from splinter every camo scheme the Luftwaffe did in WW2 I would find completely undoable!

Those Lufty schemes aren't too bad, although as I use a brush, mottling is not easy to pull off. The only thing I lost my way on was losing track of which bits I was supposed to be masking and sometimes inadvertent reversing the camo by accident. You should give it a go as it's pretty satisfying if it all works out. 

Just now, fightersweep said:

The only thing I lost my way on was losing track of which bits I was supposed to be masking and sometimes inadvertent reversing the camo by accident.

That's exactly my problem. I half-built a Lanc once, put the wings on and I realised I'd reversed the camo on the wings and not the fuselage, it looked very strange. It's very odd, shouldn't be that difficult. As a fellow disciple of the hairy stick I avoid Luftwaffe schemes, off the top of my in the stash I have a Ju-52 (splinter), Ar-96 (splinter), Fw-190 (found a nice all blue/grey scheme), He-112 (who knows what it will be, plain something), Bf-108 (ditto). I don't hold with none of your mottling.

@fightersweep

You're absolutely right - for us brush-painting antiques mottling is a bl...y challenge. I don't build any Luftwaffe subjects (and my Heller 109 was a desert bird on purpose...), but as a Japanese warplanes aficionado I don't get around it. This guy here developed a very practical method of brush-mottling with a great result (you need to scroll down):  http://soyuyo.main.jp/ki43d/ki43e-3.html

For a wavy pattern I usually sketch the outlines with a pencil on the primed surface. You can rub it off with some water if you want to correct it. Upon painting, the pencil lines disappear.

Good luck with your Spit Tony, Michael!

• Thanks 1

That's an interesting approach to mottling.  It makes me regret I don't have a suitable example on my short-list - lots in the stash including three different Oscars.  I'm not sure it will replace all the range of mottles and soft finishes, but it looks promising for this kind of diffuse spot.  Might work for the "wave-mirror" style of lines seen on other Japanese and German types.  Hmm.

Decals on. They're a 15-year-old sheet from Lifelike (if anyone is ever doing the Heller XVI OOB I have a leftover set of squadron codes in nice sky instead of nasty green!) which largely behaved itself, both fin flashes fragmented into four of five pieces and I spent a cheerful half hour chasing miniscule bits of decal into place with a very fine brush, likewise the starboard overwing roundel though that one I think I prodded with a too-stiff brush before it was quite ready to leave the comfort of the paper. A decent set of stencils was included, very finely printed.

The decals contradict the callouts in two respects, the fin flashes I mentioned above (incorrect callouts, correct decals) and the central black circle of the roundels in given in the callouts as the same size in all positions, whereas one pair is slightly smaller on the sheet and logically these belong on the underwings, where often a higher-vis roundel was used.

The Belgians used two sizes of roundel. There's a possibility the overwing roundels would have been larger, same size as the RAF roundels the plane would have sported during wartime before it was transferred to what was to become the Belgian Air Force.

Those bright colours really pop, next job to calm everything down a bit with an oil wash and matt finish.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Hi Tony,

very nice build and yes, this Heller kit is an all time favorite.

And your rescribing is rather cool.

Congrats!

JR

• Thanks 1

I touched up a tiny hole in the black section of the starboard roundel with a Sharpie. Capillary action did its thing and the black ink flowed along a miniscule crack in the decal and bled into the yellow ring. This made me sad.

I managed to hide it with a tiny sliver of decal from elsewhere on the sheet that happened to match for colour.

They'll never notice it, I whispered to myself...

• Like 1