1/72 - Messerschmitt Bf.109E "Emil" family by Special Hobby - box art+schemes+decals+3D renders - Bf.109E-4 release November 2020 - other boxings in 2021

ptarmigan

One funny thing I noticed about this kit.

It is purported to be the best Emil kit so far and it goes into deepest corners of detailing, most of which will be beyond the visual reach upon completion.

Yet, despite all these efforts, it fails in two very visible details which aren't going to be obscured in assembled model:

1. tailwheel molded integrally with strut

2. simplified mainwheel rim

So why bother with some delicate internals when these two exterior points are left in lower technical level?

Regarding my first point here, I would like to point out that even the old Frog made a kit of Fairey Barracuda with raised panel lines where tailwheel was molded

separately from the fork. This is very visible point and direction into which new kits should go for greater detailing, not into something which can

hardly be seen or not at all.

Edited by MarkoZG
  • Like 4

This new kit looks amazing based upon the 3-D images and I already have 3 on back-order from the big 'H' along with the new AZ version of the E-3 so can't wait to see which is the better and how they compare with the Tamiya (my favourite), ICM and Airfix versions. My current build is the SH Kittyhawk 1a which is a great kit so hopefully the Emil will be of similar quality.

The level of detail is fast approaching that hitherto only seen in larger scales of old, which is excellent even if the leading edge slats may be a wee bit on the large side, so I suspect some expert out their will no doubt give it the full treatment in due course. For me with my failing eye sight and less than steady hands, a downside of the aging process, this level of detail is a real bonus as it avoids having to try and use the tiny photo etched extras from Eduard and others which I find a real nightmare.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1

Markings  - ref.  SH72443 - Messerschmitt Bf.109E-3 

Source: https://www.specialhobby.net/2020/11/testovaci-stavba-modelu-sh72439.html

SH72443+Messerschmitt+Bf+109E-3.jpg

camo A - Messerschmitt Bf 109E, double chevron, Gruppenkommandeur III./JG53, Werner 'Vati' Molders, France, June 1940.

camo B - Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3, yellow 15, 3./JG 52, pilot Uffz. Karl Wolff, Coquelles, France, August 1940.

camo C - Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3, Wr.N. 5057, yellow 1, Staffelkapitan 6./JG 51 Oblt. Josef 'Pips' Priller, France, July-October 1940.

camo D - Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3, black 4, 5./JG 77, Ofw. Anton 'Toni' Hackl, Værnes, Tronheim, Norway, summer and autumn 1940.

camo E - Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3, Wr.N. 3714, white 13, 1./JG51, Heinz ' Pritzl ' Bär , France, September 1940. 

Pictures test build - ref. SH7249 - Messerschmitt Bf.109E-4

IMG-5373.jpg

IMG-5376.jpg

IMG-5387.jpg

IMG-5389.jpg

IMG-5390.jpg

IMG-5415.jpg

IMG-5417.jpg

IMG-5420.jpg

IMG-5422.jpg

IMG-5424.jpg

IMG-5423.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The lack of of masks and stipple decal could be a cost saving measure directed at the modeler?

The instructions show Wick's decal mottle has a separate product code.  In a way, it would have been better if the mottle and aircraft number were separate,  as some might want to build a different JG 2  with this peculiar finish.  As is, it does make it simpler during the decal stage.

sh72439_bf109e_b_z5.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

Was thinking along the same line about those stipple decals.  Over a single directional curve, no problem, but the rear fuselage is both tapered and curved.  Good luck with that, as well as hiding the edge where two or more decals meet.

regards,

Jack

Wick's dense mottle is what the old 'bit of sponge held in tweezers' painting technique was designed for. At least that's how I did mine on a Matchbox 109 a few decades ago! I may try it again on this one..🙂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Applying those huge stipple decals should provide hours of harmless fun - better buy 2 or 3 sets. And lots of setting solution.

John

It would have been more fun the apply them one stipple/dot at a time...

• Like 1

I think it is worth bringing in this part of Vladimir Sulc editorial from Eduards December 2020 Info regarding the 1:72 Bf 109E kit  

April will see the release of Adlerangriff 1:72 and it will share the marking options of its bigger brothers, even though there may be minor changes made. In terms of the plastic.

This will come from the Bf 109E Special Hobby kit, which came about as a co-operative effort between Special Hobby and Eduard.

Our share of the work is less significant, and more of the work was handled by our colleagues at Special Hobby, who took our original 1:48th scale kit and altered it, corrected it, generally modernised it, brought it in line with the latest research available, and put it into production. Development of the kit was also taken part in by a third party, which, for now, would like to remain anonymous, but also put forth a wonderful effort. It was the third party that made the moulds, and that produces the plastic.

We all worked together to put this kit into production within five months. If you would like to know if such co-operative efforts will continue, the answer is yes. 

This pilot project has shown that data used on past kits can be used for the development of newer and better versions of them.

This provides a better and more user-friendly product than the still practised and, unfortunately, accepted method in the Czech Republic of illegally copying an older model, making epoxy short-run forms, and passing them off on an unsuspecting customers as corrected, 3D designed, items, or other such complete crap. The ‘3D’, in these instances, really stands for ‘Dishonest, Desperate and Disgusting’. This is exactly what this practice is. An avalanche of Bf 109E kits created in just this way are about to hit the market here under a traditional brand name.
Although some see me as a kind of ‘modelling Don Quixote’ and my battle against plagiarism as doomed, I believe it is not. I hold out faith in the belief that modellers, as a whole, want quality for their money and they want sincere, hard work behind the products they purchase. These are the people that will not even (rightfully so) forgive an incorrect colour call-out on a handle in a cockpit in an instruction sheet, and, I believe, will prefer either a new, well researched and truly beautiful kit from Special Hobby or, later, Eduard, or even an older, but still relevant and less expensive original Tamiya kit. Take care of what you are purchasing, and don’t be afraid to ask where it originated from. It will be worth the effort.

Eduard will get into the release schedule of the new Bf 109E in April. The Special Hobby kit will be accessorized with our usual items, placing it in a higher retail cost bracket, and so will be aimed at the more demanding segment of the modelling public. Later, we will continue with the Bf 109E with not just further Limited Edition kits, but also with ProfiPACK and Weekend editions as well. I think that, together with our friends at Special Hobby, we will demonstrate that a homerun can be hit with a small model

So who is the third party able to produce high quality moulds and plastic in such a short time? 

They have to be located in Europe in or close to the Czech Republic in order to have the plastic available in Prague now.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That is an interesting post from Eduard's editorial - it furthered my interest in the forthcoming SH release.

Anyone else have a chuckle reading "... took our original 1:48th scale kit and altered it, corrected it, generally modernised it, brought it in line with the latest research available, and put it into production."   What latest research?  Wrong measurements were made 11 years ago, and it's finally going to be corrected - yay!

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

I'm interested to read Sulc's call-out of the rest (?) of the Czech hobby industry for rampant plagiarism. I guess they won't be invited to E-Day next year...

John

I have been to a couple of E-days and AZ/KP has never been present there, I don`t remember missing any of the other Czech producers.

AZ/KP have been present in Moson and Telford - located some distance away from Eduard.

Don't know how accurate the Kagero drawings are, but here it is (in blue) superimposed over the Special Hobby artwork - assumption is their illustrations are directly from the CAD file of the model.  Have also stretched the image to match the length of the technical drawing, so the resulting comparison may not be precise.

It does look promising, maybe just a hair beefier in fuselage height.  The only detail out of sync may be the last two panel lines by the tail unit. 

dWG9qGo.jpg

regards,

Jack

Source: https://www.specialhobby.info/2020/12/dear-customers-unfortunately-we-have-to.html

Unfortunately, we have to inform you that the SH72439 Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4 is currently sold out. We won't be able to distribute it again until the second half of next week. It´s kept as in stock on our e-shop, but it´s there in order to be able to receive additional orders from traders and end customers. The demand for this model was unexpectedly huge and despite the immediate re-ordering of components (boxes, instructions, decals) we are not able to ensure the distribution of the model earlier than mentioned above.

At the same time, we want to draw your attention to the upcoming sets that we are preparing for this model. We will be the first to offer camouflage decals with green spots for the plane mentioned in the instruction sheet for sh72439. For the Bf 109E we also prepare an engine, weapons, radios, wheels, figurines and other accessories.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Sad 1

Tens of thousands of Euros are in question, from personal experience know how devastatingly plagiarism can affect business, as far as Emil goes,

two omissions from Eduard kit are present on SH kit, looking from pics slats, while not so deep as on Eduard kit, still appear too deep, other thing

that strikes me from built model is another Eduard omission, lading gear strut being too long, but all mentioned can be issue of photography.

Edited by Thomas V.