1/72 - Messerschmitt Bf.109E "Emil" family by Special Hobby - box art+schemes+decals+3D renders - Bf.109E-4 release November 2020 - other boxings in 2021

ptarmigan

Assuming both Special Hobby and Eduard have their artwork profiles based on CAD drawings, I superimposed one over the other.  Compared at overall equal lengths (prop nose hub to rudder tail tab) , they don't match up exactly anywhere.  To match height at mid cowl, had to stretch the Eduard profile, and the result is a notable longer fuselage compared to Special Hobby.  In either case, Eduard's canopy sits a bit further back.

regards,

Jack

Not a subject I would have expect SH to do, but the amount of detail they have in there seem they are trying to improve on the other kits in this scale. Not keen on SH starting to do rivet holes in 1/72nd though, I prefer those left to the large scales.

Another new tool 1/72nd Awfulschmitt Emil family... Are the Czech manufacturers serious ? :shrug: :mental: 

Furthermore I dislike the idea I've to read the KP/AZ advertisements (link) to imagine the future SH kits programme. :hmmm:

Come on SH, what are you smoking?

Fortunately the SH pipeline is richer than this new Emil offer and the qualitative evolution from the SH kits throughout the recent years is quite impressive. 

Special Hobby is to release in 2020-2021 new tool 1/72nd Messerschmitt Bf.109E "Emil" kits.

Sources: 

https://www.specialhobby.info/2020/11/sh72439-messerschmitt-bf-109-e4.html

https://www.specialhobby.info/2020/11/news-from-special-hobby-112020.html

We have prepared for you a really big surprise. Which is ... an all new 1/72 scale model of the Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4.  This project has been worked on in complete secrecy and we aimed for nothing less than a really astonishing model of the 109, accurate in the scale, easy to build and yet full of detail. We joined forces with our colleagues at Eduard, the model has been completely 3D designed and measurements taken on a real machine came very handy. Along with a pre-cut painting mask, we are going to start selling the kit on 20 November 2020. Its predecessor, the E-3 variety, will follow suit a couple of months later. Further versions are planned as well, including those armed with machine guns in their wings (E-1/5/6), export versions including the Swiss ones and the Bf 109T with longer wings. They all are scheduled for release sometimes during 2021. (...)

We have already mentioned the painting masks for the new Emil, we also have quite a few resin detail sets in the making now such as the engine installation, open wing armament compartments, radio equipment and more. We cannot ommit some resin figure sets depicting Luftwaffe pilots and ground personnel. (...)

The first boxing, expected in late November 2020, is - ref. SH72439 - Messerschmitt Bf.109E-4 Emil

https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/messerschmitt-bf-109e-4.html

The Messerchmitt Bf 109 is simply one of the synonyms for a proper fighter plane. A plane, which remained in service from 1936 until as long as 1954 with military of many a country.
It fought in the front line of the Spanish Civil War, saw the end of the war over Europe. The E version, or Emil as it is colloquially know, was the first of 109s to be powered by a DB 601 engine. It is unmistakably connected with the outbreak of the war, the attack on Poland, the Blitz over Western Europe, with operations over Scandinavia. The pinnacle of the career of the Emils was arguably the Battle of Britain, only to be followed in the significance by the type´s deployment over the Balkans, Africa and Malta. Until 1941, the 109Es had been the very best of fighter planes in service, along with the British Spitfire. 
   This month´s hot topic is the cannon-armed version, the Bf 109E-4, model cat.no. SH72439. The kit bring schemes of two German fighter aces, G.Schopfel and H.Wick who, flying from bases in Western Europe, took part in the Battle of Britain. The kit also contains two more options, these being Emils as operated over the Balkans a year later. Decals of Wick´s machine contain also the fuselage camouflage mottles consisting of a myriad of tiny brush-made blotches. The kit parts are laid out into two grey styrene sprues and one with clear parts. The kit offer the option to build the Emil either with the engine and fuselage machine guns cover panels open or closed. The wing flaps and slats can be posed in the down position, ailerons offer the option as well  

• highly accurate and extremely detailed model
  • easy build
  • option to display the engine in the open nose section
  • flaps and slats can be posed open too
  • accurate decals for four schemes, including full set of stencils
  • separately available are clear part and wheel painting masks
  • more detail sets being prepared

c103145a-5c18-47a6-b7cf-97a74928fb29-sh7

Dedicated masks are also in the pipeline - ref. M72009

https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/messerschmitt-bf-109e-4-7-mask.html

14-D323-C6-4-DA7-4-AFD-A11-E-2-D8614786-

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Messerschmitt Bf.109E "Emil" family by Special Hobby - box art+schemes+decals+3D renders - Bf.109E-4 release November 2020 - other boxings in 2021

Another chapter in SH vs AZ/KP wars, more than happy to see new and fully accurate Emil, just one thing, slats as portrayed on CAD images are same 

as on Eduard 1/32 and 1/48 scale kits- 30 percent too deep, hope they did not pantograph other Eduard omissions.

Edited by Thomas V.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello

This is good news for all those who were impatiently awaiting the release of another ME109 kit but I admit that I am a little surprised and disappointed. SH has announced for several months the release in 2020 of a family of Mirage III we are still waiting to see pictures of the sprues  and there we learn that this kit will be released very soon ..

I must admit that I don't understand SH ..

Patrice

• Like 2

I guess the bottom line is that 109s  sell - and modellers will be queuing up to by yet another, more detailed, more accurate 109 to add to the 20 or versions they already have. The Hurricane is another example - look at the fuss over the Arma Hurricanes.

Special Hobby has earned a name for itself with decent versions of obscure types - but I suspect very few (if any) are big sellers. Perhaps SH are at a point where shifting some volume has become important. 

I won't buy this (I'm happy with my Tamy 109), but if it helps SH fund the production of those types you won't find in anyone else's catalogue, I'm all for it.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Homebee said:

Another new tool 1/72nd Awfulschmitt Emil family... Are the Czech manufacturers serious ? :shrug: :mental: 

Come on SH, what are you smoking?

Where is problem ? It´s 80th. Anniversary of BoB and Messerschmitt Bf 109E is important part of this most famous air battle in history. 

And who make complete family of Bf 109E in small scale ? I don´t know. From renders kit looks good, have complete engine, guns...and SH prepare an export versions and "Toni" high attitude fighter. I´m  curious to "Swiss defender" box, i can a Swiss Mess when i a many years ago read an book about fight between Nazi and Swiss Bf 109 and Bf 110. (Swiss Emil was slightly different). 

And do you know - it is a Messerschmitt. Messerschmitt is milking cow, Messerschmitt is best-seller... (And "Emil" have many nice camos - and not III. Reich only... Slovakia, Bulgaria, Romania, Switzerland, captured by French etc...)  

And when you have problems with SH offer, you can build Tamiya, ICM, Hasegawa, Airfix, old polish company (i don´t know a name in early ´90 have an E-1 in Spanish Civil War (Legion Condor) camos... or AZ... But i think a SH was slightly best "Emil"in small scale. I build many "Emils" in small scale - my first was Matchbox, next Hasegawa, too Academy "Emil Parody" and last Airfix. Nice kit - but Bf 109E-4... MG Wings model producers simple ignored (and it is a important version of initial stage of WW II and Legion Condor...) And Africa camo with yellow nose and badge with black beauty and lioness and Giraffe camo  was for me very iconic ! 

BTW: In last time few companies announced a brand new "Emil" in quarter scale... So, what is problem ? Spitfire, Mustang, FW-190 and Bf 109 was a every time seller. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AlCZ said:

Where is problem ? It´s 80th. Anniversary of BoB

Bit late, innit? Would have been better timed in the summer.

Anyways, although one can never have too many Spits, I'll stick to Rotte-sized numbers for the 109. There's only so much teutonicness my displaycase can handle.

7 hours ago, AlCZ said:

[...] old polish company (i don´t know a name in early ´90 have an E-1 in Spanish Civil War (Legion Condor) camos... [...]

It was RPM Link, unless you think about older vacuformed kit from JMK

7 hours ago, AlCZ said:

Where is problem with riveting ? Model without rivets looks extreme obsolete and toyish, and many companies offer a riveting whells.  Rivets out of the box are simple +. 

Lets face it the surface finish on aircraft is a lot more subtle than on models. A lot of people including myself think the rivets holes on models make it look toy like because they are out of scale and stand out a lot more than on the real thing making the model look less realistic. Great if you are one of these modeller that likes heavily shaded models ( something that has become a big trend lately with some models that just look ridiculously unrealistic ) but some people prefer a more realistic look. If you prefer rivet holes on your models then that's fine but don't think that models with rivets are somehow better models. I would prefer they did away with rivet holes in these smaller scale and spend the time giving us a stressed skin finish. Anyway this is all a discussion for another area of this forum.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, AlCZ said:

Where is problem with riveting ? Model without rivets looks extreme obsolete and toyish, and many companies offer a riveting whells.  Rivets out of the box are simple +. 

What rivets? I can only see holes on the surface. I know that de gustibus non est disputandum, but lack of these holes doesn't make the model less interesting or more toyish. And I don't think you would see any rivets or panel lines if you scale down the real thing seventy-two times... On the other hand, it's annoying to recreate these "rivets" after correcting some issues or removing seam lines.

EDIT.

By the way, you can have same or better results without rivets or even panel lines, although the lines are quite helpful

Edited by DominikS
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Sprues pics.

Source: https://www.specialhobby.net/2020/11/sh72439-bf-109e-4-prvni-fotografie.html

We're sure that you're all excited to see the first pictures of our upcoming Bf 109E. So to satisfy your curiosity we took a couple of pictures of the sprues - straight from the machine. The pictures were taken with a cellphone so please excuse the quality (we really wanted to show as soon as possible). We will post high quality pictures in the next few days.

201112094300407714.jpg

201112094300724349.jpg

201112094301152844.jpg

201112094301457237.jpg

201112101740629008.jpg

20111210174126991.jpg

20111210174433562.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

I'm sure everyone knows exactly what you mean (paste) but that did lighten my morning.  Presumably they used spaghetti or linguini for the panel lines and spirale for any screw holes.

PS Your English is excellent, and I had four typing errors in the above line alone...

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I really don't see any reason to complain. If you don't like riveted kits, there are still Bf 109Es from Tamiya or ICM available. Both are nice sets, cheap and easy to build.

I myself like the kits riveted by the manufacturer, so I will have a choice - riveted or smooth. I really don't understand why you want to take that option away from me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

I really don't see any reason to complain. If you don't like riveted kits, there are still Bf 109Es from Tamiya or ICM available. Both are nice sets, cheap and easy to build.

I myself like the kits riveted by the manufacturer, so I will have a choice - riveted or smooth. I really don't understand why you want to take that option away from me.

Take that option away from you? You could argue why should someone miss out what looks to be the most detail 109 just because they don't like to rivet holes? Of course they could fill them just like you could add them.

All I said was I'm not keen on them and Special Hobby's style up to now has been to not have rivets, that's only why I mentioned it and they will probably stick to their usually style with their following kits.

I will still probably buy one and minimize the look of the holes with some heavy paint and a light sanding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1