Supermarine PB31 - the Spitfire’s great grandad

Marklo

Presumably the Davis gun was a single shot affair, and I guess you had to unscrew the rear barrel to reload - not very practical. At least the COW gun had an ammo feed on top a bit like a Bofors 40mm AA gun, into which you could feed clips of shells. Looking at your pic, I imagine the plane would have to attack a Zep from above or maybe below and to the side, so that the rear end of the gun was not pointing back at any part of the plane when you fired! Any idea what the flying boat in the pic is - presumably a Felixtowe or maybe one of the Curtiss "Large America's?

Pete 

Edited by PeterB

There’s very little references material out there. Both ends were open with the gun firing a counter weight of shot when used. I’d guess single use as it doesn’t look like it can be opened easily. There are plenty of good photos even a cross section  on Wikipedia, so I should at least be able to come up with a convincing looking model.

• Like 1

resized_c9000986-60d7-40f8-aedc-e3cb7678

resized_ff6a6550-8898-40fb-916d-5f8c9e11
Undercarriage on, needs cladding. Wheels are from the spares box and a bit small for the PB31 also I only have two and need four. I’ll use my mini lathe ( when I get it for Christmas) to make a set of four larger wheels.  As you can also see the windscreen and nose are filled ready for (hopefully) the last round of sanding. I’d say we’re at least 80% done at this stage. 

• Like 4

resized_40bd89b5-6a67-4817-9f10-8e998591Side glazing fitted and new back part made. In the photos a number of panels seem to be missing, not sure if they slide out or aren’t fitted. In my case I’m going to leave out the three quarter panels as it’ll make fitting the rear section easier. I’ve also milliputed  up the rear of the canopy as it’s a little short and the profile is a bit blunt.

• Like 4

resized_c3453ad7-634e-45a3-83a2-4c649786The first bucket seat and some (very) rough blanks for the wheels along with my template wheel, three layers of 1mm sheet copied with a sharpie, cut with a scissors and CA’d together. I’ll drill them and use my mini lathe to turn four (hopefully) identical wheels. I have done this before with a dremel, it should be easier with the lathe.

resized_66f81960-a07c-458b-8c7e-763fe8a9

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

resized_331ed2c3-2fb8-41da-958f-6148fd5eSeats get a first coat of paint.

8f68d8e5-4b7e-4196-86f3-fad6c60794d6.jpeStarted on using the mini lathe to turn some wheels; still very much a work in progress.

Haven’t abandoned the build but I’m focusing on the kittens and my FW for a bit; while tipping away at the PB31s interior. Once that’s done I’ll close up the cockpit and add the upper inner wing sections, then it’s just the outer wing sections and the engines to do. I’m aiming for an early to mid February finish. 

• Like 3

That's a good plan fella. You're making great progress on all your projects and this one is quite an undertaking but a true labour of love.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Col. said:

this one is quite an undertaking but a true labour of love.

Yes it’s sort of in the ‘only a mother could love’ category :) (as with my favourite ugly the Blackburn Blackburn, which I may get around to this year) but I am enjoying the build.

• Like 2

resized_0b23b86f-8af8-4d56-a4ce-b5d2d815That’s the interior almost done just needs a stick and some pedals and possibly a ladder and maybe some struts. I don’t think all that much will be visible once the cupola and wings go on. Must do those side windows.

I’m being extra careful with the glazing which still has the protective film in the inside and foil mask on the outside.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

Once the kittens are done I think I’ll get back to the PB31 in earnest. The next big time task is closing up the cockpit and I think m subconsciously avoiding that as it’s one of those make or break operations :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

resized_e0dfe491-f247-49b9-bfeb-f0c4988bCut the blanks for the outer wing sections 2,  4 and 2 off for lower, middle and top sections each is a different length and chord width. Next up to sand and roll these before skinning with 20yjou sheet.

• Like 4

resized_284e2609-80d8-42bf-b897-2ab17f77As the wing sections are pretty long I decided to make up a bending jig so as to get a uniform profile on the wings. The theory is simple; clamp the blank between the bar and the flat bit, then bend the blank around the bar. Will attempt some bends once I’ve finished sanding the blanks. Might do some trial runs first ( although that’s so not me :) )

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

resized_874d8c81-b5f2-44d9-8a40-9007256aThat’s the wing panels skinned and roughly trimmed. Need to neaten them up. 

Next job is to make an IP and control column so I can close up the cockpit. I also need to skin the struts, rig the main assembly and we’re ready to start assembling the outer wings.

• Like 4

b98a4923-33cc-4f53-a9a8-7a5c04c7266e.jpeAfter much fiddling a steering wheel and an ip are ready for the Nighthawk.

resized_44078e5d-5583-460f-ad71-9147b576I only realised yesterday that I have two nighthawks on the bench at the moment. 1/144 so can’t really compare but I’d love to get a 1/48 th kit to display side by side.

• Like 3

More impressive scratch-building and situating this one next to an F-117 will certainly illustrate how far aircraft design and technology came in less than a century.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Col. said:

situating this one next to an F-117 will certainly illustrate how far aircraft design and technology came in less than a century.

Yes I think a 1/48 F117 is definitely on the cards.

Actually, if you think about it the PB31 was 1917 while the F117 first flew in 1981 so only 64 years, wow.