Supermarine PB31 - the Spitfire’s great grandad

Marklo

50587212691_88d491b2e4_c.jpg

50586467948_83d9da655a_c.jpg

Conceived as an anti Zeppelin interceptor; The PB 31E was designed to carry a crew of 5 with two Lewis guns and a fixed 1 1/2 pounder gun, it was intended to be able to patrol for up to 18 hours and wait for passing airships. The PB is for Pemberton Billing the designer who sold his interests in the company to the other directors who promptly changed the name to Supermarine. So this is the first design by the company responsible for the Spitfire. 

The name Supermarine came from a wonderful piece of logic; if a ship that was under the water was a submarine then a plane that was on top of the water would be Supermarine hence the name  . Thankfully Supermarine eventually found some good designers and the rest is as they say history.

For the GB I’ll make this my main build as the time scale at be a bit tight given the complexity and I’m still not sure if it may be at (or past) my modelling skills. But I think it’s a wonderfully wacky airplane so will press on.

I don’t think aviation gets much odder than this.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 10

I had already done some work in the project earlier this year.

50587332857_4fcf1d6246_c.jpg

50587332852_8b977ae553_c.jpg

First off some working drawings in 1/48 scale. Done the old fashioned way as I don’t have access to CAD ( or a functional PC for that matter) at the moment.

• Like 3

I did start cutting wood but no plastic has been harmed so far.

50586468333_f6b313cdbd_c.jpg

50586468263_413fac6390_c.jpg

50586468343_8e20de9248_c.jpg

So there we have it. A scale fuselage buck. Will start on the fuselage itself as soon as Nov 14th comes around.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 11

50601224342_d96f6ab00d_c.jpgIt’s the 14th plastic has been cut and glued. Started the fuselage, went together very easily. I’ve also cut the blanks for the centres of the four wings as the two tail planes.

I’ll need to carve bucks for the canopy/cockpit and for the engine nacelles. Probably do that next.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 7

50608562306_9f3e946837_c.jpgThe bucks for the cabin and the engine nacelles. The cabin one still needs a bit more sanding. I’ll probably split it horizontally and mold the roof in white plastic and either fabricate or mold the lower section in clear plastic. I’ll just plunge mold the nacelles. Not sure if you ll put the cutout for the wing in the mold or not. May split the nacelles buck if I decide to go for vac forming instead.

I’ll probably use the front of the fuselage buck for the upper decking. I’m aiming to get the moulding and wing sanding done this week. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

50609492422_0dd690f351_c.jpgManaged to get moulding. I think I’ll try fabricating the clear sections from sheet as it’s made up of flat sections anyway and will save me having to carve the faces in the buck. I’ll use the buck to make a cutting template.

Next step will be to make and shape the wing blanks then skin them in 20 thou sheet.

Motoring along at this stage :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, Col. said:

You certainly are making good progress

I’m on a charge :) Most of the build is fairly straightforward but my one big niggle is the figging and struts. 

50609689977_a5bb8e6883_c.jpgThis isn’t my first scratchbuilt Quadruplane and it actually has the same wing end strut configuration but with more bays. The wight was tricky. For the PB I’m going to make the struts as single pieces going through all four wings and then covered in situ hopefully this will make the wing alignment easy and also be light and strong.

• Like 5

Amazing aircraft, with all those wings and rigging, you deserve a Britmodeller medal if there is such a thing.

Out of interest did it actually fly and work ?

Obviously it never downed a Zeppelin otherwise we would probably have had of it !

Best of luck, I'm really looking forward to following this. 

Cheers Pat 

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

...For the PB I’m going to make the struts as single pieces going through all four wings and then covered in situ hopefully this will make the wing alignment easy and also be light and strong.

Sounds a good plan. We'll all be watching your progress and picking up tips from your work :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Out of interest did it actually fly and work ?

Afaik two prototypes were built and flown but for many reasons the concept was abandoned in 1917. ( although arguably the Bolton & Paul defiant was a product of the same line of thinking)

• Like 2

50616839762_ab9e8d6a3e_c.jpg
Fitted the rear upper decking. Sanded filled and painted the nacelles dnd cabin. Ready for a second cycle of filler and sanding. I also extended the front upper deck and started on the cutouts as well as sanding the tail plane blanks. 

Next job is to skin the tail planes and start on an interior. Now I have very little idea except that the crew was proposed to be five, pilot, two gunners and two extra( possibly pilots) the interior was covered in doped fabric and there was a second seat beside the pilot but no dual controls, there may also have been one or two beds with the intent of the crew rotating through rest s as me active periods over the intended 18 hour flying time. Other than that there would have to have been a platform under the rear scarf ring and probably some steps it rungs as the overall height would have been too high for the gunner to just stand up at the level of the cockpit floor.

Sooo basically I’ll put in a plausible interior but have no idea as to it’s accuracy.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Col. said:

Sounds a good plan. So long as ylthe interior looks fit for the purpose I'm nobody else can honestly say it's wrong.

One of my other WIPs is a Handley page O/400 which I’m thinking I’ll use as a guide. Otherwise I’ve built a few contemporary planes of late so I’ll try to logically populate the interior in a similar fashion.

50263006978_db16861ded_c.jpgThis is my WWI shelf Btw,  all 1/48 a mix of scratch and kits. A DII a Pfalz  triplane, a Sopwith triplane, a eight quadruplane. back row DFW Floh, Sopwith Pup and a Sopwith Snark. Mostly scratchbuilt except for the Sopwith triplane and the Floh which are oob kits and the DII which was converted from a glencoe  DIII.

I also have a Sopwith, Swallow, Camel, Dolphin and Snipe as well as an Albatross CIX and a Junkers JI at various build stages ( really trying to bring down my WIP, sort of managing :) ) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

50620379073_13818f3d31_c.jpg
My collection of bits increases. Skinned the tail planes, finished sanding and filling the fuselage and nacelles and started painting the interior. I also decided to skin the cupola and extended the front decking.

Next up I need to cutout for the cupola, trim the tail planes and start on the wing centre sections.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 7

50626511826_4fd3300859_c.jpg
Shaped,scored and painting Nyerere the tail planes. Also did a bit of work on the cupola.

in not at all sure what colour the plane should be. I’d have thought clear doped linen, however the cupola and nacelles look the same colour, so the fuss was probably painted. By first thought was battleship grey or maybe cdl on the fabric and battleship grey in the natal parts hmmm..,

• Like 4