Loadout for the greek Mirage F.1 (F.1CG)

Anatol Pigwa

Did the greek F.1 carry anyother weapons beside Sidewinders (which version?) and dumb bombs?

AFAIK these planes where designated as interceptors only, so I don't expect much in terms of A-G eeapons but did they carry any medium range A-A missiles? The R530 perhaps?

The Greeks armed their Mirage F-1CG with AIM-9P only, of which it could carry 4, one on each wing tip and one on each underwing hard point. I’m not aware of any other air dropped weapon being carried.

Edited by scotthldr
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @scotthldr, I found sone images on the web showcasing options for the F.1CG:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Greece-Air-Force/Dassault-Mirage-F1CG/1494821

I understand though that they were not operationally used.

Would you happen to know if the greej F.1 could carry more than one drop tank?

That picture was taken at the 1977 Paris Airshow and shows part of a larger Dassault marketing stand. Dassault more than likely pulled the first available airframe for the display which just so happened to be a Hellenic a/c pre delivery as this a/c was devoid of it's serial number(HAF deliveries were carried out in 1975/1978). As far as I'm aware the HAF never purchased any French weapons at the time of purchasing the Mirage F-1 and had the a/c wired for the carriage of 4 x AIM-9P's from the outset.

In regards to drop tanks, the only picture I've seen of them carrying more than one drop tank was what I presume were delivery flights, when they carried one under each wing.

50588254481_7116b11293.jpg

Edited by scotthldr
  • Like 1

Interesting photographs Vangos. Do you happen to know where the 3rd one with weapon display was taken, I've got a suspicion that it was taken in France pre delivery as no serial is visible on the a/c along with what appears to be 3 French AF Officers?

• Like 1

I believe the third photo was taken in Tanagra AFB in the late 70s. Based on the uniforms I think three officers belong to Luftwaffe.

The serial number is hidden besides the rocket pod. The first years of service in HAF they carried the serial nymber only in the rear part of the fuselage. 

50 minutes ago, vangos said:

No, because their exclusive role was the interception. 

Okay!

If anything can be absolutely certain with the secretive Hellenic Airforce...

Another interesting thing is that there were no two-seaters used! The only Airforce to do so afaik!

12 hours ago, exdraken said:

Okay!

If anything can be absolutely certain with the secretive Hellenic Airforce...

Another interesting thing is that there were no two-seaters used! The only Airforce to do so afaik!

You are right about the two seat version.

Another issue was the use of AIM-9 instead of Matra missiles.

• Like 1