Kočevje battle, 12 december 1943

Hi all

here I would like to share with you a work I started back in 2008, a long time a go....
Involved is a L6/40 italian light tank used by german troops after italian armistice during the 2nd World War.

The project started by these two pictures, wich inspired me and I started to work on the Model Victoria kit, wich is a real gem.

Enjoy, cheers!
Alessandro

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

And so here is the tank complete with internal detail

Closed the superstructure and a coat of paint on!

Friulmodel tracks on and weathering

And then the diorama base, complete with the house on the background

I also wanted to detail the internal parts of the house, at least the ground floor (wich I suppose was a pub) and the attic.
The City of Kocevje (Gotschee) was attacked by three brigades (1st "Tone Tomsic", 2nd "Ljubo Sercer" and 13th "Loska") of the 14th [Slovenian] Partisan Division under the command of Lt. Mirko Bracic at midnight on 9th December 1943. The attack was supported by the partisan artillery and mortars, whereupon the infantry followed and broke into the city, the partisans quickly managed to capture the city, but the remnats of the German-Domobran garrison retreated into the Gotschee Castle, where it was protected by its thick walls.
It remained there until 12th December 1943, when two German relief columns came from Ljubljana (Laibach), broke the partisan encirclement and rescued the besieged garrison. The city was almost demolished and most civilian population gone, therefore I did not overdo with the furniture inside the house.
The scene portraits the moment when the relief force entres the city on 12 december 1943, as portrayed in the pictures.

I must say that the work on the house is a diorama inside the diorama, when I started, I didn't think that it would have take so much time to detail, anyway I think I will end it soon, I need to detail just the ground floor and put some debris on the street, here is the forniture planned for the ground floor.

Cheers!

Edited by Alessandro_Jug
  • Like 15

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alessandro 

I loved historically specific dioramas. Of course I know nothing of the backstory so would love to hear more. 

This is ridiculously great work and for the life of me I can't understand how the rest of Britmodellers pass this by. You should post this over in Ready for inspection when ur finished. 

Looking forward to seeing the rest. 

• Like 1

HI BKirwan, thank you for the kind words.
The Kočevje village is located in southern Slovenija, it has always been a german enclave village, most of the citizens had german origin, back to the 14th century, it was named Gottschee, it was a mining town.
In 2nd World War the Jugoslavian territory was split between Germany, Italy and Hungary, and the town was incorporated in the Province of Ljubljana under italian government, but after 8th september 1943 all went under german command, the whole Slovenija, was part of the Operations Zone Adriatisches Küstenland.

On 9th december the battle started, the partisans took the whole town and the german garrison retreated in the towns castle, asking for help. On 12th december a relief force engaged the partisan attackers and finally took control of Kočevje.

More can be seen in this website:

http://www.panzer-ozak.it/

I always dreamed of this small italian tank with such an intricated camo and the whole scene, I live some 100 km from Kočevje and also payed a visit, it is a nice town.

So I go on with the diorama, here are some more pictures.

Cheers!
Alessandro

Windows lockers, these are 15 mm long

spacer.png

spacer.png

Debris on

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Almost there, dry fit of the tank and figures

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Hello Jones, thank you for the kind words, today I got my hand over a silicone rubber mould made by Diorama Debris, a british firm. I will replicate the slate tiles for the roof, here is the first try, it seems to me this is a great product.

Cheers!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

first three figures are ready, just need a little dirt, first from left is armed with a MP28, second with a Mauser Kar 98K, third is a tanker; the first is a Dragon stock kit, with Hornet composed head, second is a Yoshi slightly modified, with a Hornet Head and third is again a Yoshi with Ultracast head
Cheers
Alessandro

spacer.png

Beautiful work all around - really a pleasure to see.  The attention to detail is strong - even the rubble, where you have been able to keep it random, which is easier said than done!   Looking forward to your next update - 

Cheers

Nick

Utterly mind blowing work Alessandro_Jug!

Quite possibly the most realistic detail and scene i have ever seen. Those chairs are outstanding!

Could look at those pics for hours and still not see all the details you have included!

Amazing skill! 

So, that's what they say here, "every nice thing has an end", so here is the diorama completed, I weathered the tracks and the running gear, then I glued the tank to the diorama.

Feel free to add your comments, later I will post in the Ready for inspection forum.

Cheers!
Alessandro

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5