Mosquito - help requested.

Roland Pulfrew

Many moons ago, Britmodeller hosted a de Havilland GB, I got part way through building a Mosquito.  Unfortunately, a repaint and a disaster with some of the decals led to me running out of time and a failure on my part to source replacement decals meant the model ended up on the shelf of doom!  

That was almost 4 years ago!!  It’s time to fix that, and time to finish the model. In order to do so, I need to know the dimensions of the no step markings above the radiators inboard of the engines.  I don’t suppose anyone has a 1/48th Mosquito kit to hand and could measure the length, width and thickness of the markings for me please?

Once I have those it’s either masking tape and a spray job, or decal strip cut to the right size.  Any help gratefully received.

Here are a couple of pictures showing how far I got 3 1/2 years ago:

50583843228_0440d16646_b.jpg

50584582746_e48438c059_b.jpg

• Like 1

Barracuda Cals decal sheet BC48010 has all the stencils you will need, including the no step markings above the radiators. HGW Models decal sheet 248022 has the same items. You could use the decal illustration on the kit instructions if they are to scale to make a mask for the red rectangle and cross stripes. Any good scale planview drawing that shows the markings can be reduced/enlarged to 1/48 to give you a pattern for making a mask.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The dimensions are generally per the panel lines representing the access panels to the radiators. I can see them on your model pics. That said, the excellent decal sheet for RCAF Mosquitoes produced by Aviaeology carries two sizes: a large one fitting to the edges of the panel and a smaller one that is within the fastener lines. Knowing how much research Terry Higgins puts into his sheets, I'm pretty sure that the two sizes are factual. I used the smaller ones on my recent build.

20013001-jpg.568205

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2020 at 12:53 AM, 72modeler said:

Barracuda Cals decal sheet BC48010 has all the stencils you will need, including the no step markings above the radiators. HGW Models decal sheet 248022 has the same items. You could use the decal illustration on the kit instructions if they are to scale to make a mask for the red rectangle and cross stripes. Any good scale planview drawing that shows the markings can be reduced/enlarged to 1/48 to give you a pattern for making a mask.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I was hoping to challenge myself, but buying the Barracuda decs is the easy way out. And H has them in stock 😇

On 11/10/2020 at 3:20 PM, TempestV said:

You can have my spares if you like? I have the 'no-step' markings from the Tamiya 48th FB VI that ae going spare if you want them? if so ping me a PM.

cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris, I may be in touch to take you up on that offer 👍🏻

On 11/10/2020 at 3:22 PM, Crimea River said:

The dimensions are generally per the panel lines representing the access panels to the radiators. I can see them on your model pics. That said, the excellent decal sheet for RCAF Mosquitoes produced by Aviaeology carries two sizes: a large one fitting to the edges of the panel and a smaller one that is within the fastener lines. Knowing how much research Terry Higgins puts into his sheets, I'm pretty sure that the two sizes are factual. I used the smaller ones on my recent build.

I’d never realised that the markings came in 2 sizes. You’ve got a lovely finish on those. I’ll have a look for the Aviaeology decs too. 👍🏻

• Like 2