Heinkel He.112 Kit #240

That's hugely impressive, yellow is a colour I dread, you have obviously shown it who boss, really impressed. 

The Wellesley is blooming enormous, I had no idea it was that size, that poor single engine must have had a short service life !

Cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

Blimey Sir! You don't hang around with your builds. My build times are glacial in comparison.

Great work on the Heinkel so far, and as Jockney says, great work on the yellow. I too hate painting yellow, and white, and have never dreamed of tackling the ultimate paint nightmare, dayglo. Gives me the shivers thinking about it. Nice Wellesley too. I do love that kit. What's not to like. It's Matchbox! It was also an awful lot of plastic for an orange range kit.

On the home straight now. We'll be here to cheer you on!

Steve

• Thanks 1

Looking fantastic. Can't help thinking though that if this had been the Luftwaffe's fighter of choice during the Battle of Britain, friendly fire incidents might have been a bigger issue than they were! 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

That's hugely impressive, yellow is a colour I dread, you have obviously shown it who boss, really impressed. 

The Wellesley is blooming enormous, I had no idea it was that size, that poor single engine must have had a short service life !

Cheers Pat

Thanks Pat, Ive never had issues with white or yellow and Im thinking Im a rarity as most of my friends hate it also. Yes I was blown away by the size of it when it built up. Wellington sized wings on a single engine aircraft. Must have been an interesting experience for the crews on the long distance flights these accomplished. 

6 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Blimey Sir! You don't hang around with your builds. My build times are glacial in comparison.

This makes #35 when its finished, the Wellesley will be #36 and I have my Panther tank and the two interceptors in that build yet to finish. I could hit 39 by New years eve. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

This makes #35 when its finished, the Wellesley will be #36 and I have my Panther tank and the two interceptors in that build yet to finish. I could hit 39 by New years eve. 

Gosh! I'm not sure I've ever finished 39 kits in my entire life. I've started a couple of thousand though. 🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, fightersweep said:

Gosh! I'm not sure I've ever finished 39 kits in my entire life. I've started a couple of thousand though. 🤣

Too true! That just about sums up my 40 year modelling career as well Steve.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Too true! That just about sums up my 40 year modelling career as well Steve.. 

Glad I'm not the only one then! Really enjoying my first steps into the GB territory though. That certainly gives the required mojo to get kits finished.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Glad I'm not the only one then! Really enjoying my first steps into the GB territory though. That certainly gives the required mojo to get kits finished.

Well if it’s any help, all my latest kit completions over the last few years have been part of BM GB’s. I think I have one finished that was not part of an official GB, however that Mustang was a local mate group build just to get a few of the others over the line. I find that if I don’t have an end date, something will cause me to stall the build and (guess what?) start another! 

• Like 1

A nice entry again Dennis, thanks for participating and good to know that at this point you are responsible for almost 10% of the finished builds 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Super model! I love the colourful markings. It's interesting to see that every (pre-) WWII design made into one air force or other. I never thought about a Romanian He 112. Thanks for bringing it up!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Toryu said:

It's interesting to see that every (pre-) WWII design made into one air force or other.

Not really.  For every successful design there's not only a (possibly) close alternative but a number of non-achievers.  In the case of the competition for the Bf.109/He.112 there's also the Arado 80 (Huma kit) and Fw.159 (probably an Airmodel vacform.)    For the successful but often overlooked Fw.56 Stosser (Heller) there's the Arado Ar.74 (RS) - excuse me if I forget other competitors here or those for the Arado Ar.68 (RS I think).  An omission from available kits would seem to be the He.112A which actually competed with the Bf.109.  "Palming off" less successful types onto smaller air forces was of course a good way for companies to recuperate at least some of the costs of a failed project and stay in business, whilst these air forces obtained something reasonably modern and competent when the better type's production was dominated by the home nation.  And the home nation gained political and military influence.

I must admit having a little surge of interest in these types. I've just finished an Avia B.35 (KP), almost finished an I-17 (A Model) and a Bf.109X (OK, not quite the same period and a bit whiffy - well, my version is).  I do have an RS Arado Ar.74 that faced a setback a few years ago when the RLM 02 I was using - and available optional paints - turned out far too dark for the appearance of the aircraft.  I could get back to that but I have a Avia B.135 in the way.  Not to mention others away from this theme.

As the war got nearer, even comparatively hopeless types such as the Caudron C.714 and the Koolhoven FK.58 were ordered, backstops such as the P.11g Kobuz and doubtful starters such as the P.50 made an appearance.  Not to mention some of the Italian prototypes, nor British ones from Gloster and Vickers.  History is littered with fascinating modelling opportunities, even away from the core subjects.  OK, I am also working on a couple of Bf.109s, with Spitfires and Hurricanes in the wings - on the wing?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well done Dennis and apologies for the late reply. This He 112 really looks great in these colours and you’ve done a fantastic job getting her to the finish line. 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Great job Dennis, interesting markings on an interesting plane!

Like others in this GB I’m very impressed with the Heller kits, and like others I never made many as a kid because the LMS only had Airfix.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Johnson said:

Like others in this GB I’m very impressed with the Heller kits, and like others I never made many as a kid

I didn't build my first one until 2018 (Tempest), they just weren't really available locally until I was in my late teens. By then I was fully entrenched in 1/48 scale WW2 subjects. Didnt touch a jet until 2002 and didnt touch 1/72 until 2018. Ive built six now and find I missed a lot as a younger modeler, but Im trying to make up for lost time. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3