1/24 Airfix Mustang IV, post-war RCAF

RZP

1 hour ago, Jeff G said:

Is that Nexus Games downtown? I may have to check out whichever store it is when I'm back next. 

Yes, Nexus Games. They are pretty much it for Kingston hobby supplies, and they do the trick in a pinch. It's also just down the block from Novel Idea Books which carries Osprey titles and a pretty decent military history section.

• Like 1

Chris always seems to Beat me to it with the same comments!

The detail on the upper cowling is great. I use  a beading tool and a drill to recreate the Dzus fasteners in 1/32, I might try the Archer system next time probably less time consuming and easier to achieve a uniform finish.

John

• Like 2

This was the first time I used Alclad for a natural metal finish, and to be honest, the first time I used an airbrush. After reading as much information as I could on prep, spraying and masking Alclad...I was terrified. 🙂 In the end, with care, it proved extremely easy to use and sprayed beautifully...but man did it smell!! And the clean up was a bit of a pain.

I saw how some modellers used different shades of Alclad and careful masking to represent the different panels and types of metal on the aircraft. Being so new at this, I thought that might be pushing it. I found another method which used different colours of primer to differentiate the panels. After testing it on a spare wing, I found it worked well enough for my skill level. The primers were all Tamiya gloss colours, Ocean Grey, Black and Light Grey. I tried to match the panels to a colour photo of a factory-fresh Mustang. The patchwork quilt look was kinda cool...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by RZP
  • Like 5

And this was the result. The effect was subtle, but enough of a difference to be effective. I think next time I'll try different shades of Alclad, now that I am no longer a lacquer virgin. I think varying the tones and colour of metal shades might be a bit more realistic. All that being said, I am really happy with Alclad. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by RZP
  • Like 9

That seems to have worked really well.

I don’t use Alclad any more, except for brushing Exhaust and Pale Burnt Metal on jet pipes, I just can’t stand the smell. I had wondered if your method would work with AK Extreme which is what I use these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

That seems to have worked really well.

I don’t use Alclad any more, except for brushing Exhaust and Pale Burnt Metal on jet pipes, I just can’t stand the smell. I had wondered if your method would work with AK Extreme which is what I use these days.

Thanks! If I remember correctly, the technique was originally used with AK Extreme in the article I read...I just took the leap and hoped it would work for Alclad.

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

It certainly has worked out well, the effect is subtle and looks wonderful. I have never used the paints you talk of as I don't airbrush.   Good old Humbrol enamels for me.  

You have done a cracking job 

Chris

Thank you! Up until this model I had been a brush painter only, but the size of this thing made me finally break out the airbrush I bought years ago. I practiced for hours just using old broken models and parts from the spares box before I tackled anything on this Mustang. So far no disasters, and I am really pleased with the thin smooth finish. I don't know what I was afraid of. But you have to use the skills you're comfortable with, and your results with a brush are remarkable. 

Richard

Edited by RZP
  • Thanks 1

Once the paint had cured hard, I was anxious to get some decals on. I just wanted to see some colour...and convince myself that I was making progress. The markings proved to be a bit of a problem, as the decals in the Airfix boxing I used did have RCAF roundels, but the printing left me cold. Although they were accurate, the reds and blues were a microscopic dot matrix, not solid colour. Once I saw that, I couldn't unsee it. Fortunately I found a set of very old CanForce decals with a selection of roundel sizes, and the proper style of maple leaf. The colours were a bit dark, but I was happy to live with that. All the rest of the markings were home made and printed on decal paper on my printer at work. They were coated with decal fixer and worked well, although I had to be careful not to use too much set or solvent as the colours would run if they were handled too much. Many of them were from the 1/32 Leading Edge RCAF Mustang sheet, enlarged on a copier to 1/24 and printed on decal paper. This included the 424 Squadron Tiger emblem. The stencils were all designed on the computer based on close-up photos of this aircraft. I now have a complete record of the evolution of RCAF Mustang stencilling and instructions. Haven't had a chance to use that in conversation at a party yet...

I printed extras in case I screwed up ( I did a couple times ).

spacer.png

The underside. I believe Canada was the only country that used the international codes on military aircraft...in this case VC-BAS.

spacer.png

The Tiger in place. Although a couple of restorations since the 1980s have put the emblem on both sides, it is clear from photos that it was only painted on the port side.

spacer.png

One more overall image. I experimented with some weathering, using water soluble graphite pencils. The great thing is that you can just wipe it off with a wet cloth or tissue if you don't like it. 

spacer.png

Edited by RZP
  • Like 5

Richard 

That looks gorgeous,  the home made decals and the effects and finish on the fuselage, wow.  It's amazing to think this is your first airbrushed model fella, fantastic work.   

Thanks for your kind comments on my brushwork too, much appreciated. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

Thank you Chris for the comments. I can tell you that I practiced for hours with the airbrush before I pointed it at the model. It is now another tool. To be honest, I still think that achieving a smooth and even finish with brush painting is an art, and airbrushing is cheating. 🙂

Richard

• Like 1

And this is where I am right now. With winter approaching and possible COVID restrictions coming, I'll finally be able to sit and finish this.

I read all kinds of advice on sealing or not sealing Alclad before applying decals. There were good arguments for both. I was hoping to protect the finish and blend things in. In the end I did airbrush a thin coat of Future mixed with Liquitex levelling fluid, 99% alcohol and a drop of Vallejo Smoke. It didn't really alter the metal look of Alclad, which was what some modellers warned about. It did slightly knock down the shine a bit, and that was not a bad thing. 424 Squadron's aircraft were kept very clean but there would have been some oxidation of the aluminum. 

Again the code letters were all self-printed, based on enlargements of the Leading Edge 1/32 decals. The stencils were a mix of self designed and printed, with a few dry transfers from HobbyDecal. I had considered making masks for the codes and serials, but I wasn't that confident I could carry it off.

There are still dozens of decals to apply...

So far I'm happy, but looking forward to getting on with it. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by RZP
  • Like 11

A couple more views. The bomb carriers and rocket stubs have now been added to the underside. 

spacer.png

And just a view from behind. The camera on my phone tends to act like a wide angle lens, and makes the dihedral look flatter than it is. Believe me, I spent a lot of time trying to make sure it was right. 

spacer.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

It looks gorgeous   the knocking back of the shine on the bare metal areas has worked a treat and looks very effective. Great to see the final details going on to this very impressive model.

Great work Richard

Chris

Thanks! There are all the small fiddly bits to attach yet and more decals, but it's getting close. The main obstacle right now is the sliding part of the canopy, it's been fighting me. 

5 hours ago, Marklo said:

Beautiful result; the multiple primer method worked wonderfully.

Thank you! It just seemed like a safer way to go until I was more comfortable with an airbrush, and Alclad...or whatever metal finish I try next. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff G said:

Wow, this is something else! I like how the primer worked out. And those decals were well worth the effort!

Thank you Jeff! I am pleased. Natural metal finishes, especially on something this size, are intimidating. Alclad is amazing stuff, but I'd like to try some of the acrylic metal finishes on the market. 

Richard

Thanks again John. Yes, it'll need some restrained weathering and dirt, but not much. 424 Squadron kept their mounts very clean, as did most of the RCAF Auxiliary Squadrons. Although I’m sure in this photo she was cleaned up for what looks like an air show or Air Force Day. 

The sharp-eyed ones will notice that the prop on this is the original cuffed Hamilton Standard. The photo in my original post shows it later on, with a cuffless HS prop, and the yellow/black Tiger stripes applied to the spinner. Not so obvious is the interior green on the inner clamshell landing gear doors. There are period colour photos taken of 424 Mustangs on the flightline at Mount Hope airfield showing this in close-up, but I don't have permission to post those yet. 

spacer.png

Edited by RZP
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 1:34 PM, Robin-42 said:

Beautiful work, I love what you are doing with a geriatric kit. And anything with a Canadian roundel warms my heart!

Thank you! The shapes and dimensions are all there, just needs four years of work, lol. I've loved every minute, almost. 

And I agree with you on the Maple Leaf roundels, especially in the case of the Mustangs.The RCAF Auxiliary Squadron markings were among the most attractive anywhere.

Richard