1/72 - Douglas DC-8/30/50 & EC-24A by Mach2 - released - new DC-8/50 boxings

Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Douglas DC-8/EC-24A by Mach2 - released

Released

- ref. GP110AAF - Douglas DC8-50 Armée de l'Air CoTAM & "Sarigue" 

Source: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/douglas-dc8-50-armee-de-l-air--french-af-sarigue--expected-december-2020-gp110aaf-mach-2-gp110aaf-aircraft-scale-modelling/product/?action=prodinfo&art=174344µ

- ref. GP110USN - Douglas EC-24A (link) US Navy

Source: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/douglas-ec-24-us-navy-expected-december-2020-gp110usn-mach-2-gp110usn-aircraft-scale-modelling/product/?action=prodinfo&art=174343

- ref. GP110AMX - Douglas DC8-50 - AeroMexico 

Source: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/douglas-dc8-50-aeromexico-expected-december-2020-gp110amx-mach-2-gp110amx-airliner-modelling-kits/product/?action=prodinfo&art=174342

- ref. GP110UTA - Douglas DC8-50 - UTA 

Source: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/douglas-dc8-50-uta-expected-december-2020-gp110uta-mach-2-gp110uta-airliner-modelling-kits/product/?action=prodinfo&art=174341

- ref. GP110IBA - Douglas DC8-50 - Iberia

Source: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/douglas-dc8-50-iberia-expected-december-2020-gp110iba-mach-2-gp110iba-airliner-modelling-kits/product/?action=prodinfo&art=174340

- ref. GP110SWA - Douglas DC8-30 - Swissair

Source: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/douglas-dc8-30-swissair-expected-december-2020-gp110swa-mach-2-gp110swa-airliner-modelling-kits/product/?action=prodinfo&art=174339

- ref. GP110KLM - Douglas DC8-30 - KLM

Source: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/douglas-dc8-30-klm-expected-december-2020-gp110klm-mach-2-gp110klm-airliner-modelling-kits/product/?action=prodinfo&art=174337

- ref. GP110SAS - Douglas DC8-30 - SAS

Source: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/douglas-dc8-30-sas-expected-december-2020-gp110sas-mach-2-gp110sas-airliner-modelling-kits/product/?action=prodinfo&art=174338

- ref. GP110PAA - Douglas DC8-30 - Pan merican Airlines

Source: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/douglas-dc8-30-pan-american-airlines-expected-december-2020-gp110paa-mach-2-gp110paa-airliner-modelling-kits/product/?action=prodinfo&art=174336

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Hoping to see a build review or even an in box review shortly. I have a fellow model builder friend who's a DC-8 enthusiast and if the kit is decent would likely buy at least one and probably more.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking positively while awaiting delivery from Hannants, based on the sprue images that are available, does anyone have an indication of whether the underside grey is  FS36440 or something else?

Thanks.

Howard

PS - Anyone want a Mach 2 Atlantic, superseded by the Revell one?

6 hours ago, ho590hm said:

Thinking positively while awaiting delivery from Hannants, based on the sprue images that are available, does anyone have an indication of whether the underside grey is  FS36440 or something else?

Thanks.

Howard

When I built my EC-24A in 1/144 I painted the underside in 36440 and I don't think it looks quite right. Not sure what the correct colour is but I think it's a little bit darker than 36440 and has a bit more of a blueish tint to it. Perhaps something like 36375.

BTW the Naval Fighters book Electronic Aggressors Part 2 is a pretty good reference source - not cheap but an excellent book. 

I have one of these on back order from the Big H and am eagerly awaiting delivery. The sprue shots certainly look very promising. Can’t wait! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ho590hm said:

Thanks.

Howard

According to my Amt Ertl RC135V kit it would be FS16473 and that is ADC grey...

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/157330/M/USA-Navy/Douglas-DC-8-54F-EC-24A/163050/
To my eye that looks perfect when you look at the photo in the link ..

cheers, Jan

Really interested to see how this shapes up. Ropey details eg undercarriage can be scratch built or even better 3d printed (it mystified me why Mach 2 master their models the old way). The real question is has it got any serious shape issues (see VC10). I'd keep an eye out for windows - not just do they wander around like a drunken man but are they level one side to the other?

I do admire Didier, it must be hard, hard work with much burning of the midnight oil making a kit of such a large complex type. 

• Like 3

It has to be said that from the photos, it looks a reasonable kit, even the cabin windows appear to be in line with each other.

Having been lucky enough to have been up close and had a glimpse inside of the EC-24A, it is a strong contender for a project for me.

I will await reviews, but might have to eat a bit of humble pie for this one!

Just received EC-24A from Hannants.

Although I have not yet sawn the major parts off the sprue, first impressions are relatively positive on shape, with some misgivings about the wing cross section which appears to retain the curved underside all the way to the tip, whereas the outer pylon has a much flatter intersection with the wing.  Also looks a bit blunt on the leading edge - need to check whether the kit includes the 4% chord extension.

Apart from that, standard Mach 2 product which responds to attention to thinning trailing edges, etc.  Couple of cases of short shots on the extra sprue - just the wing probes which I would have replaced anyway.  Canopy may be usable......  Windows more in line than VC10, Britannia and Comet - OK for the row of 6 on the EC-24A

I have not yet done a comparison with the Minicraft 1/144.

Thanks to janneman36 for the comparison image for the grey.   The EC-24A looks slightly lighter than the C-135, which is pretty certainly FS 16473.  I have done a bit more research, discovering that FEWSG also operated two NKC-135A  on loan from the USAF modified for air warfare.  See image at https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/Boeing-EC-135Y-717-100A/1826849.   This one looks a similar colour to the EC-24A but is darker than the C-135 in front of it.  This may just be due to fading in the desert sun round Tucson.

I also referred to the trusty MIL-STD-2161, which gives the rules for painting US  Navy aircraft. The earliest I can find is revA which dates from 1993 and was therefore current at the time these aircraft were operated.  Although it gives specific details for many US Navy types, as well as all the standard stencils, neither EC-24A nor NKC-135A get a mention.  I thought the C-9B might help, but the standard scheme calls out FS 16440 which looks wrong on the EC-24A.  What it does include is all the US Navy standard colours that are permitted for general use.   The only lighter grey that is mentioned is FS 36495, which could be a possibility as a permitted tactical colour.   FS36375 is permitted, but darker than 36473 according to my FS595 fandeck.

Then I looked at the later revB, where an exception seems to be the use of Boeing BAC707 as the standard grey on the Navy C-40.    

Any other thoughts welcomed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ho590hm said:

Just received EC-24A from Hannants.

Although I have not yet sawn the major parts off the sprue, first impressions are relatively positive on shape, with some misgivings about the wing cross section which appears to retain the curved underside all the way to the tip, whereas the outer pylon has a much flatter intersection with the wing.  Also looks a bit blunt on the leading edge - need to check whether the kit includes the 4% chord extension.

Apart from that, standard Mach 2 product which responds to attention to thinning trailing edges, etc.  Couple of cases of short shots on the extra sprue - just the wing probes which I would have replaced anyway.  Canopy may be usable......  Windows more in line than VC10, Britannia and Comet 

Could you share some shots of the kit?

Thank you in advance.

A great choice for the civil aviation modellers out there.

Whilst this isn't my particular line of country modelling wise, it does look quite promising and with some colourful options to choose from.

Once again hats off to Mach 2 for producing an injection molded kit of an aeroplane that no other manufacturer would dream of doing in 1/72 scale.

• 3 weeks later...

A Douglas DC8-30 - SAS has arrived thanks to Hannants and Parcelforce. 

Looks like one of the better Mach2 kits with decent surface details, but the window openings need a bit of cleaning up

I had to stop taking pieces off the sprues after my favorite snips broke when attempting to cut a wing off the sprues - the Mach2 molding gates defeated the Japanese steel snips I had.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very good build thread over on airlinercafe.com.

Key issues seem to be the different heights of the tailplane slots on either side of the tail and the fit of the engines.  There is also a great link to some scans of the mechanics manual from the aircraft, which gives station diagrams.

See airlinercafe posts

On a dry run the side profile of the engines is close, and the pylons are the right length, and the trailing edge at the right angle.  The problem is the slope of the leading edge which is too steep - the top of the LE is about 5mm too high.  If you combine that with the moulded locations on the lower wing,  the engines get far too low.  I think it will be a case of flattening the bulge in the lower wings to match the pylon drawings and taking a wedge out of the leading edge of the pylon to get the right angle.  That matches the earlier observation that the lower wing is too curved. I note that the wing appears to be generated by a straight line from root to tip (like the Revell 1/144), whereas the real aircraft appears straight generated from root to outer engine, then the depth reduces more slowly out to the tip (which minicraft seem to have got better).

Howard

• 10 months later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Douglas DC-8/30/50 & EC-24A by Mach2 - released - new DC-8/50 boxings
  • 4 weeks later...