Belgian 'Clunk'!

reini

Avro Canada CF-100 Canuck - or 'Clunk' as it was known by the canadians.

Hoping to do the Belgian version but I still have some research to do - and have to acquire the decals. The kit is the gun armed version - the belgians flew the wingtip pod FFAR armed version, not sure yet whether it can be done from this box. If everything fails, I'm building the canadian version.

50582395457_0d8a6b1a4b_o.jpg

50581538548_1ed1617e5a_o.jpg

OK looking white plastic, it looks bit simplified in places but I think we can make a decent looking model out of it. Aftermarket that I am thinking in addition to the decals are the seats.

• Like 16

Ooh! A Clunk!  I did think about doing one of these but the Meatbox won the day.  I see your kit is a Mk4B, the Belgian's flew Mk.5s which I think have extended wings although I'm not that au-fait with Clunk's to knw whether the Mk.4B has likewise.  The Belgian's often flew their aircraft with tip-tanks.

Modeldecal and Syhart do decals for Belgian ones (Modeldecal gives more options).

If you can find it, Obscureco did a resin detail set which will help improve the kit no end.

This album by Robert Sullivan on Flikr may prove useful.  This photo from the album shows the extended wings of the Mk.5 as used on the Belgian jets very well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Another good subject choice Reini :thumbsup:  I'm delighted to see the variety of types getting attention here in our GB and you're multiple projects are covering some crackers :) 

• Like 1

@Wez Thank for the heads up about the wing. It seems the cover art is with long wings but the kit isn't. The extension seems quite simple, I'll have to see whether I can make the necessary additions myself.

Thanks for the pics! 

4 hours ago, Patrick Martin said:

The finish colours of Dark Sea Grey and Dark Green were applied on upper surfaces with Medium Sea Grey for lower surface.  Markings were to be taken from drawings Identification Markings 5208.

Pat Martin

This photo shows the underside colour scheme well, a bit of a disappointment because I always thought they were DG/DSG over PRU Blue which is my favourite colour scheme...   ...ho hum!

As they say, every day is a school day.

• Like 2

Don't know if this is any help.

Cranfield Avro CF100 Canuck

Another of the pics I took at Cranfield College in 1969 - gloomy hangar with a few planes and a lot of engines crammed in, and as you can see the lighting was from windows near the roof, which meant you were almost always shooting pics at close range and into the light - bit of a problem with my old Zeiss Werra with no light meter! I always assumed it was Canadian but the tail markings look a bit odd - pity you can't see more of them.

This is the only other pic it is in.

cf100

I have pushed the exposure - could that be a Belgian fin flash? Sea Hawk at the bottom left and the yellow fin in the right foreground is the BP P.111 delta wing prototype I last saw at the Midland Air Museum near Coventry.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

Thanks Graham,

I had forgotten they used a variation on the Red Ensign for a while after the war (Robertson says 1958-1965).

Quick update - according to the Putnam book on Avro, the one in the IWM Duxford did not arrive in the UK until 1975. It was Canadian and spent some time on the civil register, so if that is correct it clearly is not the same as the one I saw in 1969! Cranfield College of Aeronautics became Cranfield Technical College the year I visited, and later became Cranfield University. At some stage they got rid of their museum collection and although some went to other museums I have no idea where the CF-100 went - any ideas?

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Hi Dennis,

That is what I half thought too but Graham thinks it is this.

Canada

The Canadians used this as a fin flash for a while after the war, before switching to their current version. To be honest I don't know which it actually is in my pic though I still favour the Belgian fin flash.

Pete

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Dennis,

That is what I half thought too but Graham thinks it is this.

Canada

The Canadians used this as a fin flash for a while after the war, before switching to their current version. To be honest I don't know which it actually is in my pic though I still favour the Belgian fin flash.

Pete

I 100% agree with the port side but the Starboard side Its definitely Black Yellow Red from top to bottom ? If this isn't a Belgian Flash is it West German ?

cZmuZSA.jpg

• Like 1

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/70000079

I don't know where this story about it being in Canada comes from, the link from the IWM says that Hayden-Bailey got it direct from Cranfield, and they got it from him, which is as I recall it.  The photo in the link shows the same Canadian fin flash on the port side as your photo shows on the starboard.   That is not black on the top but the dark camouflage, and the yellow does not extend the whole length of the flash.

I'm also pretty sure I'd have noticed it being Belgian, and I strongly suspect that you would have too!

There are photos available of a CF-100 in the Belgian Museum, admittedly in bare metal, but you can compare tail markings.

• Like 4

Hi Dennis,

Don't think the West Germans ever flew them, and I have found another pic which appears to show a red white and blue roundel on the port fuselage, which the Canadians used, albeit with a red Maple leaf in the centre. So, it seems it is Canadian.

CRan-enhanced

Once  again I have overexposed it to make it a bit clearer.

Thanks Graham, seems you were correct. Whoever wrote the Avro book for Putnams clearly got confused and thought it was imported by Hayden-Bailey. So now I know where 3 of the exhibits went and I believe Komet yellow 15 is the one in Scotland at their National Museum of Flight - it is the one Eric "Winkle" Brown flew "hot" apparently, the only allied pilot to do so I think, but I have not been able to find Sea Hawk WM994 listed anywhere yet. The P.111A in the foreground was interesting as it seems it could be fitted with two different shapes of removable wing tip and the tip of tail was also removable - all were made from glass reinforced plastic apparently, but it was mostly flown with the pointed versions shown in the pic. 

Anyway, better let Reini have his thread back - sorry mate!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I 100% agree with the port side but the Starboard side Its definitely Black Yellow Red from top to bottom ? If this isn't a Belgian Flash is it West German ?

cZmuZSA.jpg

Definitely Canadian. And no the Germans never used them.  In the above view I can not see any yellow or black?? Just the red ensign Canadian flag as was with the Union flag in top corner leading.

• Like 1

Thanks Reini,

My final word on, or should that be off  the subject.

Graham.

The 1990 reprint of the Putnam's Avro book has a short section on Avro Canada, and states"British Civil Aircraft - One aircraft only, CF-100 Mk 4B RCAF 18393 registered to O.A. Hayden-Baillie 18/3/75 as G-BCYK. Delivered to Duxford 29.3.75 and grounded" so it does not actually say where he got it from and it appears I therefore misunderstood the origin! Avro Canada certainly had some interesting ideas, not only the Arrow but also the C-102 "Jetliner" and the Avrocar aka "Flying Saucer" VTOL research machine, Wonder if we will see an Arrow in this GB?

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

AFAIK Hobbycraft did one in 1/72  now going for silly prices on e-bay and there is a 1/144 version on Hannants currently out of stock. No idea what they are like.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Great subject. Always loved the Clunk. But I guess that comes with being Canadian. 

I've got a vac kit of the Canuck which supposedly has a decent set of plans in it. I could post those if it helps you out.

Carl

• Thanks 2