Borat's very nice MiG - Completed!!

trickyrich

Wow this GB came up much quicker than expected!!

Oh well guess I’d better chain myself to the work bench for a few more months.

As soon as I saw this model release I knew I had to have one, but being patience for a change I finally saw one on evilBay at a price I couldn’t refuse……..that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it. :D

IMG_3990-L.jpg

As most people know by now these AMK models are insane!! The attention to detail and attention and packaging is amazing….and of course the “Slide Moulded” parts!!! :wub:

IMG_3991-L.jpg

Oh course me being me :D I have to add bits to her..

… the AMK metal U/c, the guy was almost giving this set away……

IMG_3994-L.jpg

….Eduard PE detail set, I got this sometime back before the next item was released, I can use some of it……..

IMG_5052-M.jpg

…Quinta Studio 3D printed interior, this is seriously some of the nicest cockpit stuff I’ve ever seen, I love it :wub: ………..

IMG_5051-L.jpg

IMG_5040-L.jpg

…..some proper resin wheels from ResKit, gotta have some resin in every build…….

IMG_3993-L.jpg

….plus have some Amigo Models resin nozzles and Master Pitot set on the way as well. I think that should be enough AM stuff!

Scheme…well I would have preferred the BM/BMS models ones, but to be different I’ll go with the Kazakhstan one….a Borat special!

Am really looking forward to this build….the model just looks gorgeous…..now I just have to finish the other 2 (or one) first!!

• Like 20

Glad to see you here fella :D Top subject choice and with lots of lovely aftermarket as well - this one will be a stunner B) From what I've seen the metal undercarriage is a must-have for the model's long-term durability.

• Thanks 1

I originally thought of calling the build "Borat's MiG"......but there's bound to be someone who'd be offended.

....and who am I to cause unwanted trouble!  :D

Though I may relent under peer pressure and change it. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I originally thought of calling the build "Borat's MiG"......but there's bound to be someone who'd be offended. 

Kazakhstan specnaz: 

with screaming "For Borat!"

are already coming to visit You!

😉😁😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Oh I think the mankini is a must! For the pilot, not Rich!

I've already failed to convince him to do the 'Hind-washing' diorama so good luck getting him to do a suitable mankini'd crew for this one.

• Haha 2

• trickyrich changed the title to Borat's very nice MiG - high five!

I haven't started it yet....today is the official starting day, but I gotta finish the Skyraider first.

Though i have to admit that I've unbaked everything and fondled the plastic! 🥰  The 3 main sections of the fuselage fit together perfectly and the joins are cleverly hidden in panels line.

Am super excited to build this one...cn't wait....must work harder........right! :D

• Like 4

ok I finally get to start this........and then put her away for a few weeks!

Right everyone seems to be raving about this model (and her F-14D cousin), and I have to admit after 2 days playing with her she’s very nice! Not quite up to Tamiya standards, but after playing with the rubbish from Trumpeter and Kitty Hawk…… it’s a dream. They’ve done some really clever work in how she all goes together, and she does nicely as well.

My only criticism so far is some of the mould lines on pieces don’t seem to line up…..the intake tunnel pieces, nicely moulded details, but all along the flat edge there’s a mould line lip running right around the centre of this edge. Nothing major, but it needed to be cleaned up if you want a nice join. This seems to be on the majority of the parts.

This is a model that will really benefit from lots of test fitting (even if just how to work out how it all locks together!) before gluing, as you will end up with almost perfect filler free joins. At the moment I reckon I can build her without filler!

Right building….and as usual I’m all over the place…….

…..the wing consists of a complete lower section and 2 upper outer sections, these then glue to the upper 1/2 (1/4) of the fuselage.

IMG_5179-L.jpg

IMG_5181-L.jpg

Now there is some serious structure for the wing/fuselage join! There’s no way this is going to warp or droop! Though you do need to clamp this section while gluing as it doesn’t quite sit right. I used CA glue to spot fix it , then glue & clamp, the outer wing sections…..well I had one small issue with warpage on the port upper section…again out with the clamps and whip and all sorted.

I had a similar problem with the rudder sections, with the front sections of both rudders being slightly warped.....

IMG_5176-L.jpg

......so again out with the clamps and whip and all sorted.

IMG_5177-L.jpg

While I was playing with fuselage section I fitted this centre section (centre left of photo) to the upper fuselage spine……

IMG_5178-L.jpg

……….plus this section in the lower fuselage for the rear missiles.

IMG_5180-L.jpg

You have to build up the intake tunnels, no big job, just need 4 hands to hold it all together while gluing (once you’ve corrected those weird mould join lines), again CA glue helped here. To help with painting I only glued the 2 main sections of each trunk together then painted…… aluminium in this case.

IMG_5182-L.jpg

I also painted the new metal nose gear as that has to be fitted quite early in the build.

Then a nice dirty wash………

IMG_5183-L.jpg

….. and a little bit later….gosh it does look a bit flat and boring in the photo……..actually the wheel wells on the real thing aren’t much better, very little colour at all, just silvery everywhere. Not to worry as most of this doesn’t get seen at all!

IMG_5185-L.jpg

IMG_5186-L.jpg

Speaking of which, other than the engine face, the rest of the engine won’t be painted.

Whilst all that was going one I started ripping into the cockpit! All the lovely moulded details had to be removed for the gorgeous new Quinta Studio 3D Decals.

IMG_5184-L.jpg

Then painted that lovely shade of MiG Interior Puke Green. The colour is a wee bit off (no as bad as the photo makes it look), I may have to do a custom mix to correct this.

IMG_5188-L.jpg

And finally some test fitting……

IMG_5189-L.jpg

……... everything fits “exactly”!!! There really is no margin for errors of mistakes…so lots of test fitting first!

She is a big sucker!!! So far (and I reckon for the rest of the build to) she’s going together nicely, just a little extra prep work before gluing…but this model really benefits form that.

IMG_5190-L.jpg

Not an awful lot of work for 2 days. But a lot of the time has been researching. I have a couple of books on her, but not detailed enough. Google…forget it, just the same old same old, and not a lot of detailed stuff at all. For this project I’m going back to my fav Russian search engine, Yandex.ru and English to Russian translator (for search keyworks). For some reasons there’s at least 10 times more images available and they’re all different, and the detail stuff is amazing. I used this for my Hind build, for Russian equipment (and even Western stuff) it’s an absolute must for info.

So she now goes to bed for a couple of weeks while I work on my Tornado….I know I won’t finish that build in time but I want to get her to the first painting stage. 

“This my mother. She is oldest women in ALL of Kuzcek! She is 43! I love her! Uhh…. this is my wife Oxanna…..She is a moron.” :thumbsup:

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

i know how hard it is getting these big old russian jets in the camera shot, i don't think i could do justice to this kit in a gb,  ( i do have one ) 

But you seem to make such short work of what looks to me like a complex build,

Looking good rich 👍

• Thanks 1

thanks...

It's going to be so hard to put her away move on to the Tornado........... I may end up continuing on her to get her completed. With the way she's coming along right now that won't be long at all. The Tornado will be a tricky paint job and I really only have a week left to finish her, and it's a too nice a scheme to rush...

....so stay tuned for more updates on this one.

@Col. the trick with Yandex is to use the russia spelling of what you re looking for. It'll happily accept english entries, but to get more results using Russian is the ay to go. Oh and in the search result page, which it opens in another window, which is nice for multiple searches, select "KapTNHKN" to show only the images. A warning though, it's a bit of a rabbit hole once you start using it....hours just suddenly disappear! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

ok I finally get to start this........and then put her away for a few weeks!

Right everyone seems to be raving about this model (and her F-14D cousin), and I have to admit after 2 days playing with her she’s very nice! Not quite up to Tamiya standards, but after playing with the rubbish from Trumpeter and Kitty Hawk…… it’s a dream. They’ve done some really clever work in how she all goes together, and she does nicely as well.

My only criticism so far is some of the mould lines on pieces don’t seem to line up…..the intake tunnel pieces, nicely moulded details, but all along the flat edge there’s a mould line lip running right around the centre of this edge. Nothing major, but it needed to be cleaned up if you want a nice join. This seems to be on the majority of the parts.

This is a model that will really benefit from lots of test fitting (even if just how to work out how it all locks together!) before gluing, as you will end up with almost perfect filler free joins. At the moment I reckon I can build her without filler!

Right building….and as usual I’m all over the place…….

…..the wing consists of a complete lower section and 2 upper outer sections, these then glue to the upper 1/2 (1/4) of the fuselage.

IMG_5179-L.jpg

IMG_5181-L.jpg

Now there is some serious structure for the wing/fuselage join! There’s no way this is going to warp or droop! Though you do need to clamp this section while gluing as it doesn’t quite sit right. I used CA glue to spot fix it , then glue & clamp, the outer wing sections…..well I had one small issue with warpage on the port upper section…again out with the clamps and whip and all sorted.

I had a similar problem with the rudder sections, with the front sections of both rudders being slightly warped.....

IMG_5176-L.jpg

......so again out with the clamps and whip and all sorted.

IMG_5177-L.jpg

While I was playing with fuselage section I fitted this centre section (centre left of photo) to the upper fuselage spine……

IMG_5178-L.jpg

……….plus this section in the lower fuselage for the rear missiles.

IMG_5180-L.jpg

You have to build up the intake tunnels, no big job, just need 4 hands to hold it all together while gluing (once you’ve corrected those weird mould join lines), again CA glue helped here. To help with painting I only glued the 2 main sections of each trunk together then painted…… aluminium in this case.

IMG_5182-L.jpg

I also painted the new metal nose gear as that has to be fitted quite early in the build.

Then a nice dirty wash………

IMG_5183-L.jpg

….. and a little bit later….gosh it does look a bit flat and boring in the photo……..actually the wheel wells on the real thing aren’t much better, very little colour at all, just silvery everywhere. Not to worry as most of this doesn’t get seen at all!

IMG_5185-L.jpg

IMG_5186-L.jpg

Speaking of which, other than the engine face, the rest of the engine won’t be painted.

Whilst all that was going one I started ripping into the cockpit! All the lovely moulded details had to be removed for the gorgeous new Quinta Studio 3D Decals.

IMG_5184-L.jpg

Then painted that lovely shade of MiG Interior Puke Green. The colour is a wee bit off (no as bad as the photo makes it look), I may have to do a custom mix to correct this.

IMG_5188-L.jpg

And finally some test fitting……

IMG_5189-L.jpg

……... everything fits “exactly”!!! There really is no margin for errors of mistakes…so lots of test fitting first!

She is a big sucker!!! So far (and I reckon for the rest of the build to) she’s going together nicely, just a little extra prep work before gluing…but this model really benefits form that.

IMG_5190-L.jpg

Not an awful lot of work for 2 days. But a lot of the time has been researching. I have a couple of books on her, but not detailed enough. Google…forget it, just the same old same old, and not a lot of detailed stuff at all. For this project I’m going back to my fav Russian search engine, Yandex.ru and English to Russian translator (for search keyworks). For some reasons there’s at least 10 times more images available and they’re all different, and the detail stuff is amazing. I used this for my Hind build, for Russian equipment (and even Western stuff) it’s an absolute must for info.

So she now goes to bed for a couple of weeks while I work on my Tornado….I know I won’t finish that build in time but I want to get her to the first painting stage. 

“This my mother. She is oldest women in ALL of Kuzcek! She is 43! I love her! Uhh…. this is my wife Oxanna…..She is a moron.” :thumbsup:

do you have this one? should be what you are searching for...!

https://www.artscale.eu/en/duke-hawkins-mig-31-foxhound.html

MiG-31%20blog.webp

https://www.hmh-publications.com/blog

• Like 1