Borat's very nice MiG - Completed!!

trickyrich

Gosh it really has been ages since I’ve worked on this beast and did an update…finishing the Tornado took up lots of time…was a bit worn out after that.

Anyway lots has been done and the finish line is sort of in sight….

….ok first off here’s a very good reason why you should check engine oil before starting!!  Me thinks poor old Boris will be in lots of trouble!!! :chair:

IMG_5414-L.jpg

Well I got so carried away with the construction I sort of forgot that I would be replacing the exhaust cans with new resin ones, and well….. I need to remove most of the kit ones to fit the new…… a task made much simpler if you do it before gluing the fuselage together!  :doh:  I am still waiting for the new cans…..only been 2 months since I ordered them!

I finished doing all the cleaning up of all the bits ready for painting, and first off just a light coat of primer…… she looks much better even just in primer.

IMG_5415-L.jpg

I did a lot of per-shading on her, plus my usual wiggly panel lines.

IMG_5418-L.jpg

IMG_5419-L.jpg

OK the main colour, I’m using AK Interactive Real Color MiG-25/31 Grey…… and gosh these paints are amazing! 🥰  The paint in the bottle is really thick so needs to be thinned down, I used their Universal Thinners this time (for the Tornado I used Tamiya Lacquer thinners with their paint), it thins down beautifully. It sprays just as nicely as the MRP paint, maybe not quite as light but the final finish is amazing. Only slight dislike is that it dries just a wee bit slower than the MPR stuff, so I could do my normal rapid paint job and left it to cure. That said you can safely handle it after a hour.

I’m really happy with the look and finish. The Kazakhstan MiG-31’s look to be in much better condition than their Russian cousin’s, so I tried to keep the finish fairly even. In the flesh you can see the grey is not flat and uniform and is a bit uneven.  

IMG_5420-L.jpg

IMG_5421-L.jpg

IMG_5422-L.jpg

I now need to add the darker grey and black panels, I’ll be back to using MRP paints so this will be very quick and then a clear coat ready for decals.

I have also been working on the missiles, the R-60’s are simple, just pretty much plan white, the R-33’s are white and steel. For the steel I decided to try some Alclad Airframe Aluminium, it looked dark enough for my use.

Around about this time 50 Cent decided to sneak in an “Pimp my Missiles”!!! :yikes:

IMG_5417-L.jpg

As can be seen they are a wee bit shiny!!! This is only the second time I’ve ever tried Alclad and I wasn’t expecting quite this finish! I have to admit on any other subject I’d be extremely happy with the finish (I may even has to try an NMF scheme!!   ).

IMG_5423-L.jpg

I’m sort of at a loss what to do with them now, will a flat clear coat make them look more normal or do I need to strip them back and redo them??? :shrug:

• Like 8

• trickyrich changed the title to Borat's very nice MiG - high five! - He's back!!

Ok a very quick further update….

I’ve completed all the minor painting jobs on her.

Al the wheel covers, and airbrakes have been painted, just awaiting some panel wash.

IMG_5431-L.jpg

The grey di-electric and anti-glare bits have been done…….opps just noticed a ting bit of over spray…..will buff that out.

IMG_5433-L.jpg

IMG_5434-L.jpg

IMG_5435-L.jpg

Plus now the main gear has been fitted.

IMG_5437-L.jpg

So she’s now already for decaling……….. just wish those exhaust cans would show up!

IMG_5438-L.jpg

On a strange note, this is the paint I mixed up (thinned) on Saturday, 

IMG_5432-L.jpg

I just needed to re-mix it as the thinner had separated, plus added a wee bit more and it was fine to use on some small bits I’d forgotten to paint then. It still dried perfectly and the finish excellent…..how can lacquer paint do that? :shrug: I keep saying this stuff is magic. 🧙‍♂️

• Like 7

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Me thinks poor old Boris will be in lots of trouble!!! :chair:

You can't really blame Boris for that (he's got a lot on his plate) :winkgrin: 

• Haha 2

Wow!! That's looking seriously impressive :clap:

I reckon Borat would demand those missiles remain shiny :wink: However, definitely worth trying a matt coat first as it would be a shame to have to start again; they look so good!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Marlin said:

Very nice progree Rich :goodjob:

I really look forward to when I can build another MiG-31.

/Bosse 

just click the "buy now" button and you won't have to wait long! :D  It's a nice model though the painting guide/pictures are :poop:.

Interestingly I've been comparing the mould quality of this model against the new Zoukie-Mura F-4E. AMK my have their tricky "slide" moulding and it all looks really cool and nice but it's really not even in the same ball park as the old fashion moulding ZM have used!! Their moulding is so fine and even (no getting soft on the sides of rounded edges) and the join lines between the moulds are nearly non-existent. I'd say here that they are probably better then Tamiya on a good model.

10 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Wow!! That's looking seriously impressive :clap:

I reckon Borat would demand those missiles remain shiny :wink: However, definitely worth trying a matt coat first as it would be a shame to have to start again; they look so good!

I hope so, am going to give them a panel wash first (or a test on a hidden part first) to see how that helps/reacts, but will try a flat clear coat as well.

4 hours ago, Col. said:

Really hope those replacement exhaust cans are genuinely on their way to you Rich :o 

tracking says it's been in Oz since the 5th rather than doing a tour of Chinese mail exchanges as the other one did........ though no doubt AusPost is doing it's best to try and loose it!

• Like 2

….and she’s done!!!!

…I had planned a post prior to this but once I started, I couldn’t finish until I finished!

Ok all the minor painting/masking went on for ages, I never seemed to finish. 

The decals…… one word….rubbish! I’ve never come across decals as shiny or glossy as these are before, I seriously doubt you could come up with a finish glossy enough to hide them! I tried every tick I knew and some to hide them, but nothing seemed to work, a huge disappointment for this model…if only they had gone with a proper decal company instead of trying to do it themselves! 

Huge tip…..buy after market decals!!!!!

It sort of sums up the whole model, it promises so much (and the reviews build it up) but in the end it sort of lets you down. I blame all the hype by the reviewers, it’s an amazing model, and one of the best aircraft models from a Chinese company around, and quite expensive too, but in the end you just know Tamiya could have done it soooooo much better and cheaper too. 

I’m glad she’s done…..still waiting for the proper exhaust cans, these are just temporary. I can say now I have completed every GB/STGB I entered last year….. a first for me, I think.

Would I build this model again……. let’s put it this way I have an AMG F-14D in the stash, but I just bought another Tamiya F-14D (plus an F-14A in the stash as well)…..and will probably buy a couple more as well!

Enjoy, as usual, photos in gallery and different ones in the RFI section.

IMG_5461-XL.jpg

IMG_5441-XL.jpg

IMG_5443-XL.jpg

IMG_5445-XL.jpg

IMG_5449-XL.jpg

IMG_5450-XL.jpg

IMG_5453-XL.jpg

IMG_5455-XL.jpg

IMG_5456-XL.jpg

IMG_5457-XL.jpg

• Like 13

• trickyrich changed the title to Borat's very nice MiG - Completed!!
50 minutes ago, Vultures1 said:

lesser-seen markings

..never seen. And are they any use? They are sooo similar to everything nearby. 

Brilliant modelling. :goodjob:  The brutal slab of grey broken up by that vibrant cockpit colour. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

A great result Rich on a fantastic looking aircraft.

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

but in the end you just know Tamiya could have done it soooooo much better and cheaper too. 

Are you sure? Tamiya aren't exactly cheap and their decals are crap too, and there's no way they would tackle a subject like the Mig-31.

Its a shame that the kit decals didn't behave, mu ultimate weapon for unruly decals is a tiny amount of Tamiya extra thin, but you have to be careful with it. I do like the Kazakh markings, they certainly add a splash of colour to the grey paint work.

Really well done mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks superb as all your builds do. 👍

Can I ask - how do you create that ‘light pinky orangey substance’ that runs round the circumference of the glazing. I don‘t know what it is but you see it on lots of (all?) Soviet fast jets. It looks it looks impossible to paint - is it tape?

Edited by Dansk
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Its a sealant applied around all the glazing Paul, think it comes as a decal in the kit.

Thanks Craig. Why does one see it on soviet craft and I haven’t noticed it on western aircraft

• Like 1

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A great result Rich on a fantastic looking aircraft.

Are you sure? Tamiya aren't exactly cheap and their decals are crap too, and there's no way they would tackle a subject like the Mig-31.

Its a shame that the kit decals didn't behave, mu ultimate weapon for unruly decals is a tiny amount of Tamiya extra thin, but you have to be careful with it. I do like the Kazakh markings, they certainly add a splash of colour to the grey paint work.

Really well done mate.

I was more thinking when comparing Tomcats...... yeah Tamiya are not the cheapest, but the quality is there I think to justify the price. I don't mind their decals, haven't had issues with them.....and they are nice than the AMK ones!!

...now if AMK had used one of the good decals producers, like some of the other manufactures use!

57 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Looks superb as all your builds do. 👍

Can I ask - how do you create that ‘light pinky orangey substance’ that runs round the circumference of the glazing. I don‘t know what it is but you see it on lots of (all?) Soviet fast jets. It looks it looks impossible to paint - is it tape?

well lets put it this way.....masking would have been much easier!! They are supplied decals which broke into bits really easily, one of them I had to turn over to use because they got the shape backwards!  They also wanted you to add these decals to the insides as well......well that was never going to happen!

Plus still on these decals (look out I'm looking for my soap box!), their numbering system for the decals is ok..... when they get the numbers correct!! The national markings are not symmetrical (as I found out, and didn't know), so 3 face one way and 3 the other, except their numbering had you believe 4 faced one way a 2 the other. I found our before they dried luckily.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Thanks Craig. Why does one see it on soviet craft and I haven’t noticed it on western aircraft

because they wanted a colour sealant to clash with the green cockpit! :D

Western aircraft use mostly black sealant which you don't really notice..... the pink radio-active stuff you do!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

haha....

my long absent exhausts can finally arrived.... and I immediately set about installing them....... which required removing more of the old ones with my Dremel with a grinding tip.........

..........  shortly there after I had a new and unwanted hole in the fuselage!!!  :wall: (was caused not by the grinding tip but part of my wee Dremel coming loose).

Well at least it is a clean hole right in the centre of a panel so repair and re-paint shouldn't be too hard, though no showing her off at the club meet this weekend.

Plus side the new exhaust cans are lovely!

• Like 1