Revell 1/48 P-61 Black Widow, "Midnight Mickey"

Well gents,

It is what it is but she's finally RFI! 

Almost a year since I've started the build. :)

It's been uphill all the way with this oldie (the molds are shot completely combined with my average modelling skills), but worth every effort in the end! 

I am not satisfied with many aspects, but overall I am happy because I had a lot of fun and learned a lot.

She is OOB, except Uschi lines for the antennae and scratch build tarps for the first time.

As for the tarps, I used them to cover the problems with the fit between the very bad clear parts and the fuselage (a lot of miss-alignments and gaps), which I didn't want to be fixing forever, so they were more of a necessity than a preferred choice. I think that they are too wrinkly and not matte enough. Anyway, I learned something new so next time I will know better. :)

Comments and criticism are more than welcome.

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Nikola Topalov
  • Like 54

Knowing the reputation that kit has, you're to be commended for even starting it. You've done an outstanding job and if there are any problems, I certainly don't see 'em.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

That's a beauty!

Even more commendable, considering you got this result from a much older and more basic kit, among the other options available today.

Very impressed with the dust & dirt finish and the draped tarps!

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Thats an outstanding build.  And clever use of cockpit covers!

I tried to build one of these but eventually gave up after struggling with those transparencies. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Beautiful and thoroughy impressive model!

22 photos is a bit over the top, though – you would get an even better effect if you weed out some of the almost-duplicates…

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hi Joachim,

Thank you very much for the kind words! Appreciated. Very glad that you like how she turned out in the end.

You are definitely right about the photos. I always have a problem of choosing the final ones and cutting the rest.

Will have to cut them down for sure.

Best,

Nikola

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:

Superb piece of work, but afraid the tarps I find a distraction.

Hi Hairtrigger,

Thank you very much for your feedback! Much appreciated!

Yes, I think I didn't get them quite right this first time. They are too wrinkly and not matte enough. Lesson learned.

I used them to cover the problems with the fit between the very bad clear parts and the fuselage (a lot of miss-alignments and gaps), which I didn't want to be fixing forever, so they were more of a necessity than a preferred choice. Anyway, I learned something new so next time I will know better. :)

Best,

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov
  • Like 2

I really do love what you have done here and like the tarps.  To me the tarps look wet, like they were rained on before they were moved back.  Maybe more matte but the wrinkles work for me.  I would love to know how you did these as I have a build coming that has has lots of glass but very little interior and I don't want to spend the entire winter building it out.  I have thought of tarps over part all or part of it but how to do that is a question.

1 hour ago, billn53 said:

Excellent weathering job, it is very much like the photos I’ve seen! How did you paint the gray nose to simulate the translucent plastic used on the actual plane?

Thank you Bill, much appreciated! Very glad you like the outcome.

As for the radome, I primed it in Dark German Yellow together with the entire model, painted with Tamiya Buff or Deck Tan (I can't remember actually) and gave it a black post shade where the inner shadow would be more prominent, i.e. areas adjacent to the fuselage. The mix was very very thin, 1:20 ratio. 

Hope this helps.

Best,

Nikola

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harold55 said:

I really do love what you have done here and like the tarps.  To me the tarps look wet, like they were rained on before they were moved back.  Maybe more matte but the wrinkles work for me.  I would love to know how you did these as I have a build coming that has has lots of glass but very little interior and I don't want to spend the entire winter building it out.  I have thought of tarps over part all or part of it but how to do that is a question.

Hi Harold,

Thank you! Appreciated!

This was my first time making tarps as well. I mixed PVA glue with water, ratio completely arbitrary (maybe I should have used less water), and then dipped pieces or regular paper tissue previously cut to size. I covered the model with cling film for protection and then molded the tarps to shape. After it dried, I applied black primer with a brush followed by airbrushing the base color, Tamiya Buff. I then washed the tarps with black and brown.

The build log is here if you want to see the photos (scroll to the bottom of the page):

Hope this helps.

Best,

Nikola

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Nikola Topalov said:

Thank you Bill, much appreciated! Very glad you like the outcome.

As for the radome, I primed it in Dark German Yellow together with the entire model, painted with Tamiya Buff or Deck Tan (I can't remember actually) and gave it a black post shade where the inner shadow would be more prominent, i.e. areas adjacent to the fuselage. The mix was very very thin, 1:20 ratio. 

Hope this helps.

Best,

Nikola

Thanks, your technique is very effective. Much better than I was able to acheve on my 1/72 HobbyBoss P-61. Now I'm tempted to do a repaint!

27705858959_9a5acd6644_b.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, billn53 said:

Thanks, your technique is very effective. Much better than I was able to acheve on my 1/72 HobbyBoss P-61. Now I'm tempted to do a repaint!

27705858959_9a5acd6644_b.jpg

Nice work Bill! I like the color modulation. Well done. Is this HB's easy assembly kit? 

As for the radome, it somehow looks overexposed in the photo, though the rest of the model isn't. What method did tou try? 

Best, 

Nikola

Yes, this is the HobbyBoss easy assembly kit done OOB — it is a joy to build and I finished it in just 10 days.
My radome is painted in a light gray, with no attempt at modulation like you did. It looks overexposed because my phone camera focused on the darker green colors.

More pics here:

12 hours ago, billn53 said:

Yes, this is the HobbyBoss easy assembly kit done OOB — it is a joy to build and I finished it in just 10 days.
My radome is painted in a light gray, with no attempt at modulation like you did. It looks overexposed because my phone camera focused on the darker green colors.

More pics here:

Ah, I remember now that you sent me the link to your build as I was starting mine, which was very inspirational. Thanks again! :) Great model Bill. Really good colours and paintwork. 

I will have to get my hands on one of those as I love the plane but would not want to go through the Revell kit again any time soon. :)

Best, 

Nikola