A pair of Seafires

I've not been able to do very much of late as work is really busy, and I'm working long days, helping out, amongst other things with vaccination clinics. I got some time over the past couple of days to progress these. Airframes complete and some Dark Slate Grey on. A few more light coats then the Extra Dark Sea Grey. 

resized_87c57165-da90-4b0c-83fd-9615896c

Im not happy with the starboard wing root, and despite a few attempts at tidying it up it's still not awfully good. 

resized_2c870b6b-bf7d-4ae7-b801-c5f74671

• Like 4

The wing roots tidied up and some Extra Dark Sea Grey on. Hopefully when the masking comes off things should be OK. 

resized_8892bf65-ebe7-4f02-b8aa-76ac34a4

• Like 5

Got the main transfers on @TonyOD's photos were invaluable. 

resized_9bb7fcdc-f1ca-44d4-a369-b9a83539

resized_1de3b980-291f-47ca-a58c-d5eba99c

There are no 'Royal Navy' transfers provided and I was going to find some amongst the stash. But I noticed from photos that not every airframe had them. I haven't found a picture of AC-C but of the others most don't have the Royal Navy markings. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Thanks for the nod but I think @Troy Smith is your guy 😉

@Troy Smith my humble apologies. And my thanks for your help. Those photos were great and so, so useful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The front ends finished off and the majority of the stencils on. I've also masked off the prop tips in anticipation of getting the yellow painted. 

resized_147600f1-df6b-49f2-a949-3aed579b

There's a little bit of work tidying up the underside roundels and some Sky to go on the Vokes intake. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 6:18 PM, stevehnz said:

I like the look of those. You've made them look really good, in spite of your trials with them. ;)

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I'm now on the home straight so hopefully no more trials and tribulations. 

All the stencils on both and the undercarriage on both aircraft. I've also started the props and dipped the canopies in Klear. Not at all much to do now. 

resized_8f6ba487-7326-49b4-a8bb-536f97a7

resized_5b133095-279f-4dec-8a3e-6b41c66f

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more done with the canopies on, masked and painted. The Montex masks have been used once before and although they hold their shape, they've lost a lot of their stickiness. I fear this will be their last outing. 

resized_bb884ab8-d905-4243-8b37-c71b4cbf

And now the cannon on and an initial coat of matt varnish. The upside down Seafire is because one of the undercarriage legs came off. I also had problems with the pitots, one fired off into the air never to be seen again and the other's intake snapped off and disappeared. Fixed after a bit of time and a few choice words with some plastic card and rod. The underside roundels will need a little tidying up. 

resized_d65d4c07-4460-4517-943d-b9f9cfcd

• Like 4

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

They are looking really smart.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. 

The masks are off and the aerials on and a final coat of matt varnish (Liquitex). So I'm calling these done. I have a few long days at work coming up so it may be a little while before I photograph them for the gallery. 

resized_0b844945-33e9-49c4-b212-aab124f9

resized_2dabf51f-9e9e-460b-abce-556b915d

• Like 4