Soviet sentinel

Col.

Working on a fix. A plank of plasticard glued in to level off the step and a length of heat-stretched kit parts runner laid into the gap toward the jetpipes. The former sanded back with the aid of a flat metal block and the latter gone at with a curved file left over from my days gas-flowing engines.

2020-11-30_07-43-07

Some rescribing and it'll be time to tackle other areas.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

A good fix Col.👍

You're doing a great job of turning this kit into a fine looking Tu-128, its great that you are building this for the GB as it isn't something that you see built very often and is a perfect candidate for the GB.

Thank you Craig. Had hoped this would be a simple and quick OOB build but it's rapidly turned into a more involved but no less enjoyable project.

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Have you seen any of the pics on this link before? The site is a wealth of pictures and info on Warsaw Pact air forces.

http://www.easternorbat.com/html/cold_amderma_2_eng.html

Ooh, interesting, will have a proper look at that later thanks.

Sadly my laptop died yesterday so as a result I've lost all the links and photos I'd bookmarked. In future I really should share them on each thread for my own and others future reference. Hopefully recoverable though :pray:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Col. said:

Working on a fix. A plank of plasticard glued in to level off the step and a length of heat-stretched kit parts runner laid into the gap toward the jetpipes. The former sanded back with the aid of a flat metal block and the latter gone at with a curved file left over from my days gas-flowing engines.

2020-11-30_07-43-07

Some rescribing and it'll be time to tackle other areas.

This is most likely a problem of deformation of one of the halves, probably some sprue was pushed out of the mold too early. It was necessary to remove the inner profile using a template and make an inner plastic insert that would simply lift up one of the fuselage halves.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aardvark said:

This is most likely a problem of deformation of one of the halves, probably some sprue was pushed out of the mold too early. It was necessary to remove the inner profile using a template and make an inner plastic insert that would simply lift up one of the fuselage halves.

B.R.

Serge

This and the joining tabs not lining up as they should have seems to be the root cause Serge. Compounded by me not paying sufficient attention before committing to glue :doh:

The wings also exhibited an initial reluctance to mate well which, after a little extra attention, became a far better fit. A potentially nice kit spoilled by poor production.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Col. said:

A potentially nice kit spoilled by poor production.

Well, I know a whole company that has it stable!  The VES was called.  True, we say: "Stability, a sign - skill!"

😉😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

After a bit of digging on @trickyrich's recommended 'Yandex.ru' search engine I was able to find a particularly useful thread on Scalemodels.ru with a selection of detailed photos;

: Форум моделистов : Сборные масштабные модели - ScaleModels.ru

While waiting for the NeOmega seats to arrive the next areas of attention will be the wing fences and jet exhaust nozzle as the real thing is rather different to what's provided in the kit. Thankfully those detail photos will help me sort them out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Col. said:

After a bit of digging on @trickyrich's recommended 'Yandex.ru' search engine I was able to find a particularly useful thread on Scalemodels.ru with a selection of detailed photos;

: Форум моделистов : Сборные масштабные модели - ScaleModels.ru

While waiting for the NeOmega seats to arrive the next areas of attention will be the wing fences and jet exhaust nozzle as the real thing is rather different to what's provided in the kit. Thankfully those detail photos will help me sort them out.

see I told you!  The just the photo section alone is worth using it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

see I told you!  The just the photo section alone is worth using it.

That was a good shout Rich and I can only but thank you for mentioning it. You were certainly correct about the far better selection of photos available! :thumbsup:

While waiting for the new seats I've fiddled with the wings. First task was to fit the flaps, ailerons, and elevators...

2020-12-03_09-41-24

Each of them required a bit of preparation before they'd fit.

Then attention was focused on the wing fences which in turn highlighted the wing cross-section was wrong :doh: If you look at photos showing the wing leading edge profile you'll notice it's sharper and more angular than the bulbous profile Trumpeter depict...

2020-12-05_06-12-59

Going at it with coarse grit sandpaper in a flat rubbing block to tear down the excess plastic then smoothing it off with lighter grades of wet & dry got something closer to reality...

2020-12-05_10-21-03

New wing fences out of plasticard allowed me to depict what I feel is a better rendition of their shape and give a more triangular profile than the flat photo-etched parts provided in the kit.

In other news, the seats have arrived :yahoo: Spot the difference...

2020-12-05_10-23-01

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Good job on the rectifications Col, gradually turning Trumpeter's plastic into a Tu-128.

Neomega do very nice resin seats and cockpits and those you have are no exception, they are leaps and bounds ahead of what is provided in the box.

Thank you Craig. My motivation remains high for this one as I've always wanted to do a Tu-128 so that's carrying me through some of the more disappointing aspects of what was regularly reviewed as a great kit and "...one of Trumpeter's best..." <_<

The NeOmega seats are indeed very well detailed but suffering from a lot of flash and excess resin around the back of the headbox area and foot stirrups in particular. Fortunately the resin is fairly soft so clean-up is fairly easy. This is the first time I've had such an issue with a NeOmega product so will contact them about it in case the moulds are damaged and they've not realised.

• Like 2

I guess any kit of the Tu-128 wouldn’t be right if the build didn’t involve a fair degree of “fiddling”.

You’re making a great job of it so far and the seats are a huge improvement.

AW

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Think I've spent enough time messing around it the cockpits now,

2020-12-13_01-00-22

2020-12-13_01-01-05

2020-12-13_01-01-38

Time to get some paint sloshed around and look at the next problem area...

2020-12-10_10-53-07

Slight difference in the intake shock cone taper there :blink2:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Hi Col,

The new seats look a bit smaller all round - do the pilots fit them any better than the kit seats?

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Thank you @Andwil and @CliffB. It should be enough to make the cockpits look suitably busy in 1/72nd once painted up.

8 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Col,

The new seats look a bit smaller all round - do the pilots fit them any better than the kit seats?

Pete

The scaling of your pilots and the new seats are perfect Pete. I just can't quite bring myself to cut off all that lovely seatbelt detail to get them fitted together.

• Haha 1

I like how you've  built up the details in the cockpit col,very effective, you're right about the shock cone its not a long or as pointy but maybe a dry build up will reveal if any other work is needed, love those seats,i don't think they'd help the pilots field of vision  if a nato plane was creeping up on the fiddlers sides or rear though

• Thanks 1