Airfix 1/72 Mirage F1

rafalbert

Hi guys,

This is candidate number two, one of Airfix's classic gems. I never understood as a child why it was so expensive compared to other kits of comparable size, but for 1978 it is excellent. I started this a while ago, and plan to finish it in the Spanish AF Tigermeet colours of 2006.

Dave

IMG_20201108_195530

• Like 5

14 hours ago, klr said:

One of my all-time favourite kits, an absolute joy to build. I've completed two over the years, and have three more in the stash..

Hear, hear! Couldn't agree more, though I only have a singleton in the stash.. 🤔  .. for now!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Mirage has been good fun to build, but I am massively disappointed the Model Alliance decals. The roundels are out of register, all the decals are translucent, they have pretty much all broken, and the tail decal was way too small and looked ridiculous (plus it shattered). I thought that MA decals were good quality so am stunned by this, especially as the 25+ years old Fujimi and 30+ years old Modeldecals I have used for the Phantom have performed beautifully. I will have to cover them with Microscale Liquid Decal to try to save the remaining ones and finish it as a standard machine (although I will need to source some tail codes), but it is going to one side for the time being before it ends up in the bin.

IMG_20210102_172641

Edited by rafalbert
  • Like 1

Well, even with liquid decal applied they have shattered so this is going back to the S.O.D. until I figure out how I am going to resolve this. In the meantime my TU22 will replace this in the GB.

On 1/2/2021 at 3:43 PM, stevehnz said:

Bummer about the decals, the kit looks good though. I'm intending to do mine in the SAAF kit scheme, the camo hides more faults that way. :)

Steve.

Which scheme were you thinking of doing. Im doing an F.1 for the Africa build (Hasegawa) im not sure wether Sand/Spinach all over low viz grey or the spilt scheme ? Im angling for the spilt or sand spinach unless my Tail flashes fail. Then its low viz for sure. 

• Like 1