SAMI/MAM AND SMMI November issue not in shops

WarthogMKL

The performance of Royal Mail deliveries seemed to be VERY variable in November. I have had letters turn up with only one day delay over the normal service and I've also had deliveries take 5 or 6 days longer than normal. I fully appreciate the issues that RM must be facing now (reduced staff numbers, slower transport systems, increased admin, etc, etc). I'm wondering how things will be in December, with the enormous volumes of extra post RM will have to deliver). Time will tell on that one...

Chris. 

17 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

I'll take issue with that statement Paul and say that it is almost certainly completely untrue

You are totally entitled to your own opinion Dave, but you might want to tone down the first line a little! My reasons being in the last line, below.

To clarifiy, the current (CV19) order of business is to sort AND deliver all 1st class mail Monday through Saturday, with the sorting of 2nd class mail suspended on Friday and Saturday with no 2nd class post being delivered on Monday, but with 2nd class mail being sorted on Monday for onward delivery Tuesday through Saturday. This enables Royal Mail to get the backlog of packets and parcels out to the customer.

The above information has been given to me by at least five current posties out of my old delivery office, and all know to me, why should they make it up?

Paul

Let's not get all snippy with each other over RM policies, which I can imagine varies between main sorting offices to an extent, based on the volumes they're receiving.  We don't want to have to intercede in a topic about postage... :shrug:

• Like 2

Chased my subscriber issue of SAMI earlier this week and after the second request for an update, was told that "another has been sent because it should have arrived by now!".

Fully expect that I will have to chase the next two issues as well, then my subscription ends and I also won't be renewing! Its a shame as SAMI was always my favourite modelling magazine and have every issue from No.1 to date but my gut feeling is that there is a problem and I'm not currently prepared to loose money, should the magazine cease publication!

1 hour ago, Tony C said:

Chased my subscriber issue of SAMI earlier this week and after the second request for an update, was told that "another has been sent because it should have arrived by now!".

Fully expect that I will have to chase the next two issues as well, then my subscription ends and I also won't be renewing! Its a shame as SAMI was always my favourite modelling magazine and have every issue from No.1 to date but my gut feeling is that there is a problem and I'm not currently prepared to loose money, should the magazine cease publication!

I will have to contact them again as they have not replied to my first e-mail. I do think that a cancellation of my subscription may also follow see below.

@PhoenixIImy gripe is not with RM because as like @Roof Rat said other magazines that I subscribe to get to my house on timeish. I used to know roughly when SAMI would get to my house as I would see in a newsagents a couple of days beforehand, but of course this month I cannot do that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Des said:

Ordered mine last Tuesday , notified that they were being posted Wednesday arrived this morning , no problems.

Might be better off doing that, as it is now the end of Nov and still no sign of that months issue. Yes I have contacted them again, hopefully this time I may get a reply as i did not last time. I can now see the end of my subscription.

On 11/9/2020 at 4:19 PM, spruecutter96 said:

That brings up something I've never thought about before....

When a newsagent sells you a magazine, do they buy it in at under the cover-price and make their profit that way? Or does the distributor pay them something to sell it? What happens with un-sold magazines which are returned to the distributors once they've exceeded their "shelf-life"? Money refunded to newsagent, perhaps?

Can anyone fill us in on how this all works?

Cheers. 

Chris.  

as the sales and marketing director for Guideline Publications, we all have a magazine distributor who supplies the news outlets a retailer gets 25% and we pay the distributor as well. All unsold copies are pulped the newsagents returns them but the publisher does not get the copies back. The newsagent only pays for the copies he sells and returns any left overs. Prior to the current lockdown over 95% of retail outlets including WHS stores were open... we have continued to supply all the retailers through out this period. 

• Like 1

Got this as a reply to my e-mail about my missing issue.

Thank you for your email.

I have arranged for a replacement issue to be posted out to you today.

We are in the process of moving to a different company to post the subscriber copies as we aware of the issues and are working to resolve them.

Could the damage been done to the mags reputation?  constantly late missing issues?.    It seems one manufacturer dominates this mag if they pulled the plug could it survive?   I was a subscriber until a couple of years ago but Luftwaffe kits leave me cold ( I know to some that's heresy),   I would like to think our hobby could sustain two good quality mags each month   I do hope they fix their snags soon . 

Eamonn 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 8:27 AM, Team Aer Lingus said:

Could the damage been done to the mags reputation?  constantly late missing issues?.    It seems one manufacturer dominates this mag if they pulled the plug could it survive?   I was a subscriber until a couple of years ago but Luftwaffe kits leave me cold ( I know to some that's heresy),   I would like to think our hobby could sustain two good quality mags each month   I do hope they fix their snags soon . 

Eamonn 

Yep, I've just swopped subs from MAM to SAMI in the hope of more balanced content, but to no avail really, still the same old WW2 builds. And to rub salt in the wounds the next issue of MAM had what looked like a really good feature on the B52, oh well :)

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

My replacement has not yet turned up either after a week am I being too impatient or should I give it longer?

Chris

Nor has mine, but I am waiting to at least the weekend, so that I can contact them again and say it is now halfway through December. Also where is Decembers issue?

2 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Nor has mine, but I am waiting to at least the weekend, so that I can contact them again and say it is now halfway through December. Also where is Decembers issue?

Unless they will both arrive together??? Be strange to get the December one through before the November issue!!!

On 10/12/2020 at 18:51, bigbadbadge said:

My replacement has not yet turned up either after a week am I being too impatient or should I give it longer?

Chris

Sent a moaning e-mail last night and got this in reply today:-

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your email.

No problem I will have another posted out today.

December issues are posted out end of this week and should be with you by the end of next week.

Best regards

Mark

A friend at work who writes for one of the target magazines tried to contact them by phone today as he has not got his Nov issue, but only got the answer machine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still haven't received my subscriber copy of the November issue of SAMI.  I've called twice and had another copy promised to be posted first class each time.  That's supposedly three copies stuck in post office limbo.  Radio Times, and two other magazines have arrived on time so I don't think its our local delivery team.  I was told that the initial delay was that after the printer foul up on the October issue, they had to allow the trade 4 weeks sales on that issue before releasing the November one.  At this rate I might get the November 2020 issue by November 2021 (at Telford!).

12 minutes ago, kingcanberra said:

....haven't received my subscriber copy of the November issue of SAMI..................................I don't think its our local delivery team.....................they had to allow the trade 4 weeks sales on that issue before releasing the November one.  At this rate I might get the November 2020 issue by November 2021 (at Telford!).

What?

Good man, RM is used as a whipping boy by all and sundry.

Err, you have a subscription, ergo a 'contract' with the magazine to supply you with each issue as it becomes available. The wholesale / retail problems have no bearing on you or your subscription, this strikes me as someone's in breach of contract.

Careful what you wish for / not a hope!

Trust everybody get a resolution soon.

Just an observation Royal Mail have failed to deliver in Medway for two weeks due to a  covid outbreak in our local sorting office this combined with Christmas demand has placed enormous strain on the remaining staff so it could be the same across the country.

I really hope they (Sami) get their act together and get through this problem because although I really don't like repeated 190/109/110/Spit builds it does sometimes offer something original and its healthy competition for SAM which is my go too along with AMW.

Patience maybe the key I've a load of ebay kits held up in the post if anyone gets their mags please let us know the contents

regards

Eamonn

Eamonn, @Team Aer Lingus the problems your having with the Medway delivery office is happening all around RM. Some of it being due to CV19, others because of it.

Our local delivery office is working on a 'half staff' basis six days a week, with each postie allowed into the office on three separate days, as all of the sorting frames cannot be manned while maintaining the two meter rule. However, everything is being done, with the current RM / HMG rules in place, to keep disruptions of the mail to a minimum.

With the current problems that SAMI / MAM are purported to have had / are having with different publishing houses, my thoughts are with the individuals who work for the magazines, or write the articles, I'll bet they're as much 'in the dark' as the subscribers. With Christmas so close, it'll be a worrying time for them and their families.

Patience is a fine virtue, but with the last five? issues being affected...... my thoughts, for what their worth are, the 'boat' seems to have lost motive power and also it's rudder.

Hoping for a good resolution for everybody that's caught up in this mess.

Paul

• Like 3