1/24 Airfix Harrier GR.3

Back in the Saddle

It takes a while to paint a model this size!

I've redone a few areas, due to changing my mind about the colour. Some areas still need a second coat in the correct colour. I also realised I need to glue on the refuelling probe:

ifr.jpg

Should be ready for decals next week sometime, subject to home schooling demands! 

Its good to see that you haven't given up on the model, sometimes it good to step away, do something else then come back, guess that's why its so far taken me 3+ years!

I've put mine to one side as I found that I was studying pictures too much, getting caught up in trying to get everything spot on, with the end result being no modelling was getting done :wall:

On 23/01/2021 at 16:51, Tony C said:

getting caught up in trying to get everything spot on

If only I had that problem Tony! There's so much wrong with this build that I'd go loopy trying to solve all the problems - hence delegating it to becoming a toy for my son! 😄

My latest mistake was applying the decal for the fin flash on the wrong side. Here's where I put it:

f2.jpg

But it was only when I noticed it should reach the top of the rudder that I realised it was on the wrong side... Here's how the flash should look:

f1.jpg

Consequently the red area needs to be expanded to cover the more of the fin... Here's how it currently looks:

camd.jpg

At least there's plenty of time to fix this mistake - and the weather is still perfect for brush painting!🤣

I'm also embarrassed by the poor fit on the canopy. I don't think I could have made a worse job of that if I'd tried! I might be forced to remove it and glue it back on in the opened position...:hmmm:

• Like 2

I’ve applied a few decals and then a dirty wash to add some interest - just getting the undercarriage sorted now. It’s by far from a being good finish but at least it’s off the shelf of doom and about to leave the work bench - it’s not been a happy build process... I think it will be a great toy for an young boy though!

• Like 1

Staggering over the finishing line with just under 4 hours to go - sounds like last year all over again! 😄

Here's the finished model. It's far from being good, with mistakes aplenty. However, it looks like a Harrier, so I'm happy... Displayed on a record player, which gives an idea of the size of the beast:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Thanks for stopping by. I'm off to build something simpler now...!😉

• Like 5

Nice one, Matt. And well done for getting there in time. Is it going on the bedroom ceiling? Will it last past next weekend? 

(Well it probably wouldn't have done if I'd had it way back when) Cheers, Pete

Congratulations on getting The Beast from the Hover completed. As has been said it’s a pig of a kit and one best tackled with hammer, chisel and several rolls of gaffer tape!

While your memories will focus on filling, filing and sanding it’s a pretty good finish there given the builds a cross between climbing Mount Everest and a cross Channel swim. 

Why not give yourself a break and tackle something easier like a Fonderie Minatures kit :drunk:

19 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice one, Matt. And well done for getting there in time. Is it going on the bedroom ceiling? Will it last past next weekend? 

Cheers Pete👍. This one's going on a shelf - should be safer that way...! How are you getting on with the surplus bits - any projects in the pipeline?

8 hours ago, Alan P said:

Great effort getting it over the line Matt! I'd disagree with you on one point - it's very close to being very good. 

Thanks Alan, you're too kind. It could have been much better, but it was jinxed - if I was able to mess it up, I did! Time to move on to something else now. Looking forward to seeing your two 1/32 jets progress - I must start to follow those so I don't miss anything.

7 hours ago, JohnT said:

Congratulations on getting The Beast from the Hover completed. As has been said it’s a pig of a kit and one best tackled with hammer, chisel and several rolls of gaffer tape!

While your memories will focus on filling, filing and sanding it’s a pretty good finish there given the builds a cross between climbing Mount Everest and a cross Channel swim. 

Why not give yourself a break and tackle something easier like a Fonderie Minatures kit :drunk:

Thanks John. I'm just glad to see the back of it - it took up far too much space. It's not a bad kit - but it does need some serious attention to produce a decent model. I think I'll pass on the FM kit!😄 I like your signature regarding RJ Mitchell's quote - seems very true!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...